The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

OK, here's my gripe. I'm a coach for recreational league. We were involved in a game yesterday, the game was tied with six seconds left on the clock, it's our ball. We run our play where my guy was obviously foul but no call and the buzzer sounds. As everyone is walking off the court to prepare for overtime, my guy gets called for a technical foul after confronting the ref about the no call. Before overtime starts the other team shoots the tech. The same ref calls the game because now the score is not tied (remember the buzzer had already sounded to end regulation). I was told that I couldn't protest because the ref hadn't left the floor yet so regulation wasn't offically over yet. I know my guy was wrong in talking to the ref, but should the game have been called?
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 02:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb That all depends.

First of all, none of us know what kind of rules your league is under. All you said is that you coach a recreational league. Depending on the age, you could be under NF or NCAA Rules. It just depends.

Secondly, you are talking about a rec. league. I am sure that your rec. league has some different rules as it relates to protests or any number of situations. So what you need to do is check your administrators. Most of the officials here are National Federation Officials (High School Rules) or NCAA Officials at different levels. So honestly, it is almost impossible to answer any of your questions, unless we know your league specifically, or you give us some information about the rules you are under. Because even if your league uses NF Rules, there is bound to be some modifications and exceptions that apply to your league and your league only.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

JRut is correct. There could be many variations of NF (High School) rules in your Rec League.

Having said that...if this had been a High School game the game would have ended in a tie. Thus, Overtime. The Technical Foul would have been administered to start the overtime period (4 minutes).

BTW, how old are these players you coach? Seems they learned a lesson about "confronting the ref"...especially in a close game.

RD
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

RE: THAT ALL DEPENDS

We follow NCAA rules, but it is possible that my league may have some rules that may not follow NCAA rules. But as far as NCAA is concern was the ref correct in the way he ended the game?
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

We are in the military

The ages of my team range from atleast 18 to 30, because we are in the military.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 03:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: RE: THAT ALL DEPENDS

Quote:
Originally posted by llcoolredd
We follow NCAA rules, but it is possible that my league may have some rules that may not follow NCAA rules. But as far as NCAA is concern was the ref correct in the way he ended the game?
To my understanding, the NCAA would have handled this situation the same as stated above (according to NF Rules). But the problem is that you are many league rules that might consider Technical Fouls differently and how they apply. And considering the fact that you are in the military, you might have some harsher rules about conduct during these events. Now this is just a guess on my part. And also understand, you might not have licensed officials (with a state organization) or you might not have officials that have extensive experience at the NCAA level. So the way this was handled might have reflected this. Or maybe the official could have been all those things and did not want to tolerate any crap. You have to always keep in mind, this is just a rec. league. These games do not have the backing or sactioning as the games many of us do at the HS and college levels.

BTW, where are you located in these troubled times? And if you go to Iraq, be safe ya here.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Under NF rules

If the refs had made this decision and left the court, is there any protest allowed? Once they say the game is over, right or wrong, isn't it over. It seems that everyone is focussing on whether or not the game really should have been over. But I think that it is only a question of knowing what (possibly) should have been done at the time, not what can be done now after decision was made.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 11:21am
In Memoriam

NCAA 5-7-4: When a direct or indirect technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a period, the next period shall be started by administering the free throws and play shall resume at the point of interuption. This shall apply when the foul occurs after the first half has ended or after the second half or any extra period has ended, provided that there is to be an(other) extra period.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA (mens, at least) rules also do not recognize or allow protests.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2003, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Re: We are in the military

Quote:
Originally posted by llcoolredd
The ages of my team range from atleast 18 to 30, because we are in the military.
That sums it up. I'm in the Air Force and when my HS schedule allows, I officiate intramural ball. By the end of each season, I am sick of the whining and attitudes the players have. Every year is the same. Starts out decent, but by mid-season, same old thing.

The best thing you can do, Coach, is tell your guys to play hard and forget about the officiating. No amount of confrontation will influence an official into changing his/her mind. Contrary to popular belief, we could care less who wins.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2003, 07:31am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: We are in the military

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Contrary to popular belief, we could care less who wins.
Actually, Big Dave,
I could care more, but, I cannot care less.
mick
Old Sat Mar 29, 2003, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: We are in the military

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
I officiate intramural ball. By the end of each season, I am sick of the whining and attitudes the players have. Every year is the same. Starts out decent, but by mid-season, same old thing.

At least your season starts out decent . . .