Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
Except for this guy, of course.
Oh ya... that guy... SanDiegoSteve.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 09:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
Our RFP is usually 12-15 seconds which in this area is pretty fast and we know, if you want snaps we'll give them to you. The coaches have adapted and DOGs are less than .5/game for a season, we had two in this game and both against Sayville the last one and one at 3:12 which we told the QB as time to snap and he was looking at the clock.

Not to make excuses but we started 5-man this year and there are adjustments and I will be reviewing those for tomorrow's game.
I will look at our recent films at some point and figure out what we do.

I know I am patient once the ball is spotted. I'll look to both wings and the box to make sure they're all set, which takes about 3-5 seconds.

The chain crew was slow last night and they commented on my pace on first downs, which is no different than any other down. They were just slower. I do know that I got a compliment at halftime from someone working in the press box saying that we had very good pace out there.

At the end of the day, the teams adapt to the crew. We've not had a DOG in 4-5 weeks on Friday night. And with a 35-20 game last night (8 touchdowns) with homecoming (20 minute halftime), we still finished the game in 2:10.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Oct 11, 2008 at 09:35am.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

RFP is three ticks from when the ball is set. Huddle, no huddle, hurry-up, makes no difference.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous67 View Post
RFP is three ticks from when the ball is set. Huddle, no huddle, hurry-up, makes no difference.
I assume you wait a little longer if there is a delay in getting the down box and/or chains set? This also assumes no other administrative delay (official getting into position, player equipment, etc.). Or do you have your umpire wait for all that is done before setting the ball?
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous67 View Post
I assume you mean personally and not some absolute standard. I know I'm a bit slower than that normally.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I assume you mean personally and not some absolute standard. I know I'm a bit slower than that normally.
It is what our clinicians teach, our association endores and evaluators look for.

It is a crew effort. It requires that the HL makes sure the chain crew (particularly the box) is doing their job and that the umpire, SJ and BJ do their jobs in a manner that doesn't create a delay.

Last edited by Anonymous67; Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 05:56pm.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Consistently assessing that a crew is doing their job, " in a manner that doesn't create a delay" is clearly an appropriate objective. Assuming a specific time interval can be set as an overriding requirement, seems like a dangerous and unnecessary requirement.

There are all sorts of common occurences that can affect that interval; a slow(er) chain crew, a player an Umpire has decided needs a special word of guidance, a reasonable, appropriate question from a coach to a wing official.

Under "normal" circumstances a specific time interval may be attainable, but the circumstances are what should decide the interval, not the other way around.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

I've never been concerned with or counted the number of seconds after the ball became dead for the ball to be declared RFP. I signal RFP when it is READY FOR PLAY. No sooner nor later. The moment the ball is placed on the ground AND I see that my crew and the chains are ready, I declare it RFP. This time will vary, I am sure.