The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Sayville NY Protest

Pulled from another forum:

The video of this play is on Newsday's website. You've got to see it to believe it.

http://www.newsday.com/video/?autoSt...clipId=2995059
__________________________________________________ _______________

You haven't heard the last of the wild ending in Kings Park's 41-35 win over Sayville on Saturday. Sayville will file a written protest this morning at the Section XI offices in regard to the final play of regulation.

With six seconds left and Sayville leading 35-27, Sayville faced a fourth-and-1 from its own 30. Dillon Boos fumbled the snap and the ball bounced toward halfback Corey Caulfield. A video shows the ball squirt just out of Caulfield's reach. Kings Park's Trevor Ruxton goes down on two knees, grabs the ball with two hands and throws it over his head toward the Sayville goal line.

Then, Kings Park's Sean Russell beat Terrence Macken to the ball, catches it on a bounce, and runs in a TD to make it 35-33 as time expired. A two-point conversion tied it at 35 and then KP won in overtime.

Sayville coach Rob Hoss requested a meeting with head ref Ed Hickland to address the play before the two-pointer. "I told him that the Kings Park player was down on his knees with the ball and that he threw an illegal forward pass toward our end zone," he said. "I said, 'This is just ridiculous and I'm protesting the play right now.'"

Hoss said Hickland told him that he didn't see it that way and told him to leave the field. A phone call to the president of the Suffolk County Football Officials Association was not returned.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...,5494847.story
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 07:19am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The film certainly shows that the coach has a very very very good point.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
Sayville coach Rob Hoss requested a meeting with head ref Ed Hickland to address the play before the two-pointer. "I told him that the Kings Park player was down on his knees with the ball and that he threw an illegal forward pass toward our end zone," he said. "I said, 'This is just ridiculous and I'm protesting the play right now.'"

Hoss said Hickland told him that he didn't see it that way and told him to leave the field. A phone call to the president of the Suffolk County Football Officials Association was not returned.

Is this the Ed Hickland who frequents this board?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Is this the Ed Hickland who frequents this board?
That's what I was just thinking.

It sure looks like he is down and also threw an illegal forward pass.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Ed, nothing personal, we all make mistakes. We just hope it doesn't end up on YouTube or even worse, the local news. I feel your pain, partner.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

I am going to venture a guess here, but I don't think I agree with it at all...

I going to guess that the official did not think that he had possession when his knee was on the ground and then batted the loose ball.

Looking at the video I don't think that is the case but that would be my guess as to what the official on the field was thinking.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

It looks to me as if the offense actually recovers the ball and the defender rips it out and tosses it over his head in the process. It should have been dead before the defense even got it.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Around here I've never heard of a protest even being allowed. Game over.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Wow!! If I'm that official I blow the whistle right there, the ball is down at the recovery and game is over.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
I am going to venture a guess here, but I don't think I agree with it at all...

I going to guess that the official did not think that he had possession when his knee was on the ground and then batted the loose ball.

Looking at the video I don't think that is the case but that would be my guess as to what the official on the field was thinking.
NFHS allows you to legally bat a loose ball forward?
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Only in certain restricted situations, of which this example is not one.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

My point was that while the play looks like there were many things wrong to it for me, I was just guessing as to what was going through the mind of the official in the video.

I did state I did not agree with the call...
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck View Post
Wow!! If I'm that official I blow the whistle right there, the ball is down at the recovery and game is over.
I would hope we all would.

But the brain is a funny thing. Sometimes we know what we should do and for some reason, we still don't do it. Especially in the heat of the moment, which is different from seeing it days later on tape on the internet.

As for a protest, there's no NFHS mechanism, but I would imagine a state could do it if they so desired. I think they'd be opening one hell of a can of worms if they did.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

ANother story from newsday.com ( a "heads up play" ??????)

Kings Park player is toast of town for heads-up playBY GREGG SARRA | [email protected]
12:18 PM EDT, October 9, 2008

Kings Park's Conor Kelly was at the center of controversial play that helped his team defeat Sayville on Saturday. (Photo by Joseph D. Sullivan / October 9, 2008)

This was Christmas morning for some on a fall Saturday afternoon. It was too good to be true for Kings Park linebacker Conor Kelly. An almost certain loss to Sayville seemed inevitable. Yet, somewhere in the recesses of Kelly's mind was the smallest notion of what if . . .

There is always a "what if" scenario in sports. That's why all football players at all levels from peewees to the NFL are taught from the first day of practice that it's never over until the final whistle blows.

Kelly made the season's most improbable, but totally heads-up play. With six seconds left and Sayville leading 35-27, Sayville faced a fourth-and-1 from its own 41. Quarterback Dillon Boos fumbled the snap and the ball bounced toward halfback Corey Caulfield. A diving Caulfield had the ball squirt from under his facemask as Kelly went down on to his knees and grabbed the ball. Kelly then threw the ball backward over his head 11 yards, toward the Sayville goal line.

Kelly, a 6-3, 205 pound captain, a three-year starter, is the toast of Kings Park for having the presence of mind to make the play and for battling until the clock read 0:00. The strong side linebacker came hard off the end on the final play.

"We're taught to never give up and that's what our coaches preach," he said. "I came in as fast as I could and I ripped it out of his [Caulfield] hands. And I wanted to keep the ball alive. So I thought we'd have a chance if I threw it toward the goal line."

Kelly laughed while recalling the play.

"It was so unbelievable," he said. "I took the ball and threw it over my head and then I saw [Sean] Russell running with it. I was in pure shock."

Russell caught the ball on a bounce and ran it in for a touchdown to make it 35-33 as time expired. A two-point conversion tied it at 35 and the Kingsmen won in overtime.

Boos still can't believe the finish.

"Coach Hoss called a quick kick to catch them off guard and I was going to toss it back to Corey," Boos said. "I fumbled it after the snap because I was trying to do it so fast. We had just come back from 27-14 and I was thinking this isn't happening. The ref was standing right there. How could he not see [Kelly] throw the ball over his head. You can't even do that in a schoolyard with 10-year-olds. It was totally illegal. That's not a play, that's not real, no way."

It's very real
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 12:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Ed, nothing personal, we all make mistakes. We just hope it doesn't end up on YouTube or even worse, the local news. I feel your pain, partner.
It already has unfortunately. Ed, hang in there.