The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 04:03pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
With the sole exception of not considering it "overruling" my partner, I agree. I'm also not too keen of worrying about everyone going crazy, but that's a semantics difference, I think.

I'd be less inclined to do this with a partner with any significant experience, though.
You're right. It was wrong to use the word "overrule".
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We Both Fish In The Middle Of the Lake ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
It was wrong to use the word "overrule".
... and I'm not using the word "overrule" here either. If I didn't blow my whistle because I heard my partner's whistle (double whistles are also frowned upon here in my little corner of Connecticut), but, otherwise, I would have sounded my whistle (dual coverage, or a "felony", "elephant", or "whale"), then I will only offer information, I will not overrule my partner. I try to stay in my primary, but sometimes one just has get the call right, whether it's sounding my whistle outside of my primary, or offering information (if I have it, and I'm 100% sure) outside of my primary, with no whistle. This, including out of bounds helpful information, may happen two, or three, times a season. Whomever sounded the single whistle, it's their call, 100%, and nobody, including me, is going to overrule them. They either like my help, or they don't. That's all I can expect. In all cases of high school games, this will be pregamed, all the time, every single game, whether I'm the referee, or the umpire, so it won't come as a surprise to anybody.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 09, 2014 at 05:16pm.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 05:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

But I'm An Esteemed Forum Member Now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
This is probably the first time in, well, ever that I agree with Billy Mac.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (I by no means have the rule book memorized), but I don't believe a foul call MUST come after a whistle.
In total disbelief.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 08:27pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In total disbelief.
Well then, smartguy, why don't you point out in the rule book where it states that a whistle must occur for a foul to be called? You used the argument that an official can't call a foul without having blown his whistle beforehand, so how about you back it up?

Or would you rather just throw out jabs that do nothing to further the discussion or provide an answer?
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 08:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

I've had a coupletimes when I forgot to put the whistle in my mouth and yelled out foul.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 09:00pm
AremRed

Quote:
Well then, smartguy, why don't you point out in the rule book where it states that a whistle must occur for a foul to be called? You used the argument that an official can't call a foul without having blown his whistle beforehand, so how about you back it up?
The rule book doesn't say that. The mechanics manual does. 2.4.2B-1, page 34 (if you work 2 man), or 3.4.2B-1, page 70 (if you work 3 man).
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 09:18pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
The rule book doesn't say that. The mechanics manual does. 2.4.2B-1, page 34 (if you work 2 man), or 3.4.2B-1, page 70 (if you work 3 man).
That lays out the correct procedure in order to call a foul, but it does not say that a whistle must be blown before a foul is called. There are many instances where an official does not do things by the book, but that doesn't mean their call is incorrect or nullified.

Therefore, it is wrong to say an official can not call a foul if he did not blow his whistle beforehand. Which was part of the argument against doing what the official in the OP did.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 09:23pm
AremRed

Quote:
That lays out the correct procedure in order to call a foul, but it does not say that a whistle must be blown before a foul is called.
When the manual uses words/phrases like "imperative", "definite procedure", and "should be performed in the order listed" that sounds pretty definite to me.

Quote:
There are many instances where an official does not do things by the book, but that doesn't mean their call is incorrect or nullified.
This isn't one of those instances.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 09:27pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
This isn't one of those instances.
The initial call was out of bounds, and after conferring with his partner the call was changed to a foul. Sure sounds to me as if the partner in this case made the call, but let his partner announce it.

And another official just told you he's made calls without blowing his whistle.

And again... the officials manual lays out the correct procedure. In doing so, it says it's imperative for a whistle to be blown in order for the procedure to be done right. It does not say nor imply that a foul called without a whistle doesn't count.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 09:42pm
AremRed

Quote:
The initial call was out of bounds, and after conferring with his partner the call was changed to a foul. Sure sounds to me as if the partner in this case made the call, but let his partner announce it.
Are you saying the guy who called the OOB reported the foul that the other partner wanted? Sounds realistic.

NFHS 2-6 says "No official has the authority to set aside or question decisions made by the other official(s) within the limits of their respective outlined duties."

Don't those "respective outlined duties" include the primary coverage areas and foul calling procedures outlined in the mechanics manual?
Old Tue Jun 10, 2014, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And another official just told you he's made calls without blowing his whistle.

And again... the officials manual lays out the correct procedure. In doing so, it says it's imperative for a whistle to be blown in order for the procedure to be done right. It does not say nor imply that a foul called without a whistle doesn't count.
Let's not include BNR's situation as "another official just told you he's made calls without blowing his whistle." That's an accident. I've had situations - before CMGs - where I've blown my whistle and the thing flew out of my mouth before it made enough of a noise. I put it back in my mouth and made the call/stopped play. Find something in the NFHS rules that allows live-ball fouls to be penalized without a whistle to accompany them. NCAA is different but that's because of the monitor rule.

We also shouldn't say it's a summer league game and we do things differently in summer league games. That's no excuse. Your partner misses one call in the process of making another. What makes correcting that particular call any different from any other situation like that in a game, summer or not? If you're going to do it once be prepared to do it the entire game.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jun 10, 2014, 06:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Whistle While You Work ...

No whistle before a foul? Pregame dunking? Player not in the book? Some fights? Some technicals?

If a foul happens in the forest, and there's no official there to sound a whistle ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jun 10, 2014 at 06:23am.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2014, 06:31am
Stubborn Member

If you guys would quit reading too much into it, you'd see that I was referring to the fact that the trail could very well go up to the lead official and tell him there was a foul before the OOB, and the lead changes the call from an OOB to a foul.

So, basically, the trail official made a foul call without blowing his whistle.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2014, 07:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm also agreeing with Billy.

Had this happen in a BV game this season. Ball heading OOB in the corner, partner was pinned and didn't see the obvious push on the player that then hit the ball out. He had an immediate whistle and when he called the OOB, I put air in my whistle and came and sold the foul hard. I wanted to see if he had the foul and when he didn't, I felt it was worth a long distance call. Both coaches would've seen the push, as it was in the corner, tableside.

Mechanically, I handled it a bit differently, but the result was the same. There were no competitive matchups away from this action, why wouldn't I look there?

There's no reason to leave a call as incorrect when you know that it's incorrect. Fix it and move on.