The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Handled Correctly?

1 minute left in game. Home team down 4. 30 sec. timeout called and I am standing at top of key in front of home team's bench. Coach is in huddle talking to his players. Coach goes from talking in normal tone to looking at me and stating "If the officials blow their whistles" and then continues timeout. 1st horn blows I go to advise 1st horn and coach turns his back to me. I back up and wait for 2nd horn. 2nd horn sounds I go up to coach and tell him I'm not going to listen to stuff like that. I start to leave, he says he was just talking to his team. I stop and tell him "No you were not, both you and I know what you were doing and that is enough." As I leave someone on the bench mutters something about being a tough guy. I leave it alone and go downcourt.
Thought about giving bench a T but didn't. Thoughts?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

You probably could have stuck him, but I would have handled it just like you did.

Rant: As I was leaving my game tonight the GV coach was telling BV players "yeah we got close and they called 11 fouls in a row on us. They decided ahead of time we weren't going to win. They did the same thing to you guys." I wanted to say 'yeah, I drove 67 miles and my partner 89 miles just so we could stick it in your pooper.' Sheesh. No wonder kids these days are growing up thinking things are everyone's fault but their own.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

My goal is to NOT be the reason a team wins or losses and I have walked away from calls like that.

Good move RS.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
My goal is to NOT be the reason a team wins or losses and I have walked away from calls like that.

Good move RS.
That is not my goal.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:34am
Medium Kahuna

"If the officials blow their whistles..." What does that even mean?

Depending on how quiet the crowd was, I probably would not have heard this statement (or part of a statement?). As a general rule, if I can't figure out what a coach is saying or implying, then it doesn't warrant my attention.

The tone or behavior might warrant a "knock it off," but the substance here does not, IMO. My usual response to "I wasn't talking to you," is "Coach, I know who you were talking to." That response is neither disputatious nor does it invite a reply.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSturgell View Post
.... I start to leave, he says he was just talking to his team. I stop and tell him "No you were not, both you and I know what you were doing and that is enough." As I leave someone on the bench mutters something about being a tough guy. I leave it alone and go downcourt.
Thought about giving bench a T but didn't. Thoughts?
Last night I T'd up my first HC this season for "just talking to his team". Only thing I did wrong was having some conversation with him before I T'd him. I should have immediately T'd him as it was the 2nd time he had done it.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 09:23am.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Yea, I got the "I wasn't even talking to you" line a few weeks ago. Girls JV, absolutely packed, tight secondary gym, rivalry game on a night when boys JV was playing on the main court, followed by both boys and girls varsity games. Coach had started yapping about every little thing literally within 10 seconds of the start of the game.

After a warning ('stop sign' and verbal warning), coach said "This is the worst officiated game we've ever had". Whack. Then he says "I wasn't even talking to you, I was talking to my assistant." Of course. But I heard you. From 20 feet away. Not even looking over at the bench. In a loud, boisterous gym. There was some chatter about "get your head out of our huddle" but it wasn't as loud and I was moving to center, so I let that go.

He ended up getting a 2nd T and ejected in the 4th - on a foul that went against the other team! And then wouldn't leave the court for a half minute and never did leave the gym. Interesting night.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 08:52am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
... and never did leave the gym.
Forfeit. 5-4-1
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

My general rule is my ears dont work well.
For the most part, if a coach doesnt physically assault me I am
not going to draw any more attention to him or myself than is
absolutely necessary. It never leaves a good feeling for the remainder of the game or the ride home when I "T" anyone up. I fnd if you make eye contact and let him know you "could" have just "t'd" hm but didnt... it difuses the situation. And with a kid, remember he's just that. I usually quietly approach him next break in the action and say something mature to him in a warning fassion.
Of course theres always the inexcusible and the problem child whether it be kid or adult.
What I am suggesting is the only automatics are the physical violations, ie fighting, pushing, etc.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Forfeit. 5-4-1
ah, I should clarify...he left the secondary gym where we were, but just went to the main gym. Didn't notice him till after the game while watching the varsity game afterwards. I didn't give the 2nd T, so my partner filled out the paperwork to the state, so not sure if he put it into the report.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That is not my goal.
Maybe not a "goal", but do you disagree with the general statement? I think our job is to be sure the better team wins. Not the team with the better record or higher ranking, but the team that plays better within the rules of the game that night.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades View Post
My general rule is my ears dont work well.
For the most part, if a coach doesnt physically assault me I am
not going to draw any more attention to him or myself ......

What I am suggesting is the only automatics are the physical violations, ie fighting, pushing, etc.
So if a coach tells you that your F'en horrible and you would just ignore it? It is this type of attitude that makes it harder for the next guys...
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades View Post
...What I am suggesting is the only automatics are the physical violations, ie fighting, pushing, etc.
No one made mention of automatice T's in this thread, did they?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Maybe not a "goal", but do you disagree with the general statement? I think our job is to be sure the better team wins. Not the team with the better record or higher ranking, but the team that plays better within the rules of the game that night.
Agreed, and in this case, I'm not saying I would call the T. But the clear (to me) implication was that the T was the wrong call solely because it might affect the outcome.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't think it's our job to ensure any team wins. It's our job to enforce the rules equitably for both teams.