The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Ball for throw in after double foul

Help with aurgument here. True or False.

While A1's pass is in the air towards A2, A3 and B3 commit a "double foul". Ruling: Charge the fouls and award the ball to Team A nearest to the spot when A1 was last in control.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 03:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop_ey View Post
Help with aurgument here. True or False.

While A1's pass is in the air towards A2, A3 and B3 commit a "double foul". Ruling: Charge the fouls and award the ball to Team A nearest to the spot when A1 was last in control.
Not quite worded correctly, but likely correct. The ball would be awarded to A (due to team control) at the OOB spot nearest the ball's location at the time of the foul. The trick is to know how to determine the legal location of the ball.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Showed him the error of his ways.

Agreement settled. My partner was trying to say throw-in would be at point ball was located (in air) at time of foul. I was trying to get him to see that ball would be located at point that A1 was last in contact of ball - Defination of Ball Locaton 4-4-3.

My partner found following: In the 2006-2007 interps

SITUATION 2: Post players A5 and B5 are called for a double personal foul while the ball is in the air on a pass from A1 in A's backcourt to A2 in A's frontcourt. RULING: Team A had control of the ball when the double foul occurred, and thus play will be resumed at the point of interruption. Team A will have a designated spot throw-in in A's backcourt nearest to where A1 was last in contact with the ball. (4-4-3; 4-36; 6-4-3g; 7-5-9)

And saw the error of his ways!
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Well if the foul occurs during a throw-in, then the point of interruption is the throw-in...meaning the next throw-in spot won't change. The throw-in doesn't end until it is legally touched. So while you were right that it would go back to the throw-in spot (which I'm guessing was your position), you were right for the wrong reason. It has nothing to do with ball location in this situation but rather what the POI is.

2013-2014 NFHS Case Book

4.19.8 SITUATION F: A1 releases the ball on a throw-in, and before it is legally touched, A2 and B2 commit fouls against each other.

RULING: When a double foul occurs, play is resumed at the point of interruption. Since Team A's throw-in had not ended, the point of interruption would be a throw-in by Team A. (4-36-2b; 10 Penalty 1c)
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Well if the foul occurs during a throw-in, then the point of interruption is the throw-in...meaning the next throw-in spot won't change. The throw-in doesn't end until it is legally touched. So while you were right that it would go back to the throw-in spot (which I'm guessing was your position), you were right for the wrong reason. It has nothing to do with ball location in this situation but rather what the POI is.

2013-2014 NFHS Case Book

4.19.8 SITUATION F: A1 releases the ball on a throw-in, and before it is legally touched, A2 and B2 commit fouls against each other.

RULING: When a double foul occurs, play is resumed at the point of interruption. Since Team A's throw-in had not ended, the point of interruption would be a throw-in by Team A. (4-36-2b; 10 Penalty 1c)
The foul was not during a throw in, it was during a pass from A1 to A2 and occurred while ball in the air. Question was where the THROW-IN should be after the double foul occurs while ball is in the air on pass. Point where ball was in air when foul occurred or Point where A1 last had contact with the ball. I re-read my question and see how I did not state it well. The heading was the question we were trying to answer, not part of the situation to be read with rest of True/False statement.

Last edited by pop_ey; Wed Sep 25, 2013 at 04:20pm.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop_ey View Post
The foul was not during a throw in, it was during a pass from A1 to A2 and occurred while ball in the air. Question was where the THROW-IN should be after the double foul occurs while ball is in the air on pass. Point where ball was in air when foul occurred or Point where A1 last had contact with the ball. I re-read my question and see how I did not state it well. The heading was the question we were trying to answer, not part of the situation to be read with rest of True/False statement.
My mistake.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 05:01pm
NFHS Official

Since it was a pass, and team A is still has possession of the ball during the pass, wouldnt it be the spot closest to where the ball was at when the foul occured?

Example

A passes at free throw line in backcourt, towards the front court. Double foul happens as the ball is crossing the division line. Would the throw in be at the division line? Or does it go to end line?
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 05:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
A passes at free throw line in backcourt, towards the front court. Double foul happens as the ball is crossing the division line. Would the throw in be at the division line? Or does it go to end line?
Endline.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 05:22pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Endline.

I was just thinking maybe at division line, but it isn't where the ball was located at in flight, it goes to where it was last touched/possessed at.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 05:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Note, it could be where the ball bounced last.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 06:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's An Amana Range ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
It goes to where it was last touched/possessed at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It could be where the ball bounced last.
I pick door number one.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 26, 2013 at 06:10am.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 07:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I pick door number one.
How is ball location defined?
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I pick door number one.
You must have been blinded by the glare off the belt when you read the rule on this.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 01:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
I pick door number one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
How is ball location defined?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You must have been blinded by the glare off the belt when you read the rule on this.
SITUATION 2: Post players A5 and B5 are called for a double personal foul while the ball is in the air on a pass from A1 in A's backcourt to A2 in A's frontcourt. RULING: Team A had control of the ball when the double foul occurred, and thus play will be resumed at the point of interruption. Team A will have a designated spot throw-in in A's backcourt nearest to where A1 was last in contact with the ball. (4-4-3; 4-36; 6-4-3g; 7-5-9)

What am I not gettng here? I really wanted to win that Amana range.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 26, 2013 at 01:49pm.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 01:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Seriously ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Believe it, or not, I did purchase, and wear, the patent leather Zigs near the end of last season, and found the glare from them to be very distracting in my peripheral vision as I ran down the court. That's why I ordered the matte finish Zigs for this season.

I also find the pink whistles that we wear for a week to raise money for the American Cancer Society to be very distracting in my peripheral vision.