The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Double Foul During Free Throw

Here's another question from the La. 07-08 study guide:

147. While A1 is in the act of shooting a free throw and prior to releasing the ball, a double personal foul is called. A-1 continues the motion and scores. Official disallows the free throw and re-administers A-1's free throw with players occupying the marded lane spaces. Play continues from the administration of the free thow(s). This ruling is correct. T or F

I've looked for this in the case book and could use ya'lls help. Since a member of team A fouled, shouldn't the ball become dead? Or, does the double foul offset that?

Thanks,
barryb
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

The correct response would be true. The shoot was not release when the foul (s) occurred. So the FT will be readministered and play resume as normal. B's throw-in anywhere along the baseline.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 10:32am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cropduster
I've looked for this in the case book and could use ya'lls help.
If I see any "ya'lls" around here, I'll ask them to help you. What's a "ya'll" anyway?
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
B's throw-in anywhere along the baseline.
Did you actually mean: if A1 makes the final free throw, then it’s B’s throw-in at the baseline?
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cropduster
Here's another question from the La. 07-08 study guide:

147. While A1 is in the act of shooting a free throw and prior to releasing the ball, a double personal foul is called. A-1 continues the motion and scores. Official disallows the free throw and re-administers A-1's free throw with players occupying the marded lane spaces. Play continues from the administration of the free thow(s). This ruling is correct. T or F

I've looked for this in the case book and could use ya'lls help. Since a member of team A fouled, shouldn't the ball become dead? Or, does the double foul offset that?

Thanks,
barryb
I think the official was incorrect. Count the basket and let B have the ball anywhere along the end-line for the throw-in.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 10:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
The correct response would be true. The shoot was not release when the foul (s) occurred. So the FT will be readministered and play resume as normal. B's throw-in anywhere along the baseline.
Unless the free throw is missed; then play will resume with the rebound.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bob. I think this is covered in the new Case Book under continuous motion. But I do not have them with me to check.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:19am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I agree with Bob. I think this is covered in the new Case Book under continuous motion. But I do not have them with me to check.
I have the new case book here and there doesn't seem to be anything under continuous motion.

4-11-3: Continuous motion does not apply if a teammate fouls after a player has started a try for a goal and before the ball is in flight. The ball becomes dead immediately.

Unless there is an exception to this somewhere for free throws and/or double fouls, I say the answer to the op is true.

The only thing that disappoints me is that cropduster doesn't know where to put the apostrophe in y'all.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:26am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
The only thing that disappoints me is that cropduster doesn't know where to put the apostrophe in y'all.
Years ago I attended a trade show in Nashville. I learned that the plural of y'all is all-y'all.

When I was a kid growing up on the South Side of Chicago, we had a kid who moved to our neighborhood from Georgia. He said "y'all". We thought he was speaking Martian or something. Oh yeah - he also put ketchup on hot dogs. At least he did until we beat him up a few times.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have the new case book here and there doesn't seem to be anything under continuous motion.

4-11-3: Continuous motion does not apply if a teammate fouls after a player has started a try for a goal and before the ball is in flight. The ball becomes dead immediately.

Unless there is an exception to this somewhere for free throws and/or double fouls, I say the answer to the op is true.

Thanks, I was reading it last night while watching the Cowboys and I could not remember if it stated the ball became dead in this situation or not. I know I read over the continous motion definition and maybe that is what stuck in my head. I will get my books when I go home for lunch and see what I can find as well.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:40am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Years ago I attended a trade show in Nashville. I learned that the plural of y'all is all-y'all.

Actually I think singulars and plurals are kinda muddled in the south. I find that I often say "We'll see y'all later," even when it's just me talking to one person. I suppose this might be the southern version of "My people will be in touch with your people." I, for the most part, have no "people."

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I think the official was incorrect. Count the basket and let B have the ball anywhere along the end-line for the throw-in.
Disagree, the ball should become dead on the double foul. Now, if the double foul occurred after the release, then you go POI, and continue on.

I'm a liitle fussy on this event occurring on the F/T. Certainly, if we have an offensive foul, whether before or after the release, we don't count the bucket. If we have a defensive foul, whether before or after the release, count the bucket, continue on. Now, we have a doulbe foul and before the release. Good question.

I would say the answer is true, disallow the made FT, go POI, shoot another FT with everyone on the line. Continous motion got nothing to do with it. Just my opinion.....
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, it says that. It (4-11-2) also says that continuous motion applies if there is a foul by the defense. We had a foul by both. Which rule applies?

6-7-7 can (I think) also be read both ways.

It's clear from the cases that if the try has not started, the POI is still the FT. And, if the ball is in the air, the POI is the result of the FT. WHat's not clear (to me) is what the POI is if it's during the try.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, it says that. It (4-11-2) also says that continuous motion applies if there is a foul by the defense. We had a foul by both. Which rule applies?

It's clear from the cases that if the try has not started, the POI is still the FT. And, if the ball is in the air, the POI is the result of the FT. WHat's not clear (to me) is what the POI is if it's during the try.
Okay, have my case book in hand. I was reading under Continuous Motion 6.7 COMMENT ........ The continuous-motion rule applies to a free-throw try as well....... However, I can only find counting a score when the defense fouls. Since A1 also fouled (double foul) I recant my position and believe this ruling to be true.... readminister.... I enjoying this type of dialogue...thanks.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 12:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Yup, and 6-7EXCEPTION(c) says "the opponent of a player". There is no mention of any foul combination that includes the foul by "the opponent of the player" that negates that statement. That's why I agree with you also.

As to the POI, heckuva question. I'll think about it in, oh maybe, 5 innings or so.