The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 02:02am
C'mon man!!

Lead move across the lane?

The "pinch the paint" thread got me thinking about this and in conjunction with an alumni tournament game I did this week, I want to ask what people's opinions are for the lead moving a cross the paint. The Officials Manual 2.3.3.b talks about moving across the paint when the majority of the players are on the T's side. At one of the main camps, the evaluators last year mentioned this and since i started doing it I really like. The only downside is when there is a muffed pass and it goes out on the far end line where neither official is. Some of our officials do this and some don't.
My most recent does not. When I was pregaming that I do move across occasionally if play dictates he looked at me like I was crazy and wanted me to try doing it without moving across. He said "We should be good enough to be able get anything if it happens without moving across."

I still feel like angles are much improved by moving across and the chance of completely missing an OOB call on the opposite endline is pretty slim. It takes a little more work and hustle to be successful but i feel like it is worth it.
Thoughts?
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 02:14am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I still feel like angles are much improved by moving across and the chance of completely missing an OOB call on the opposite endline is pretty slim. It takes a little more work and hustle to be successful but i feel like it is worth it.
Thoughts?
I do it a few times per game, especially when there is an inbounds play on the T's sideline, when all the players are on that half of the court. I don't think I have had a missed OOB call due to this, probably because I am only across for a few seconds, and the T usually has a good angle on tipped passes.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 09:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Everyone does it here, and if a partner tried telling me not to, I'd move on with the pregame and do it anyway.

If he said something later, I'd tell him I was just giving him notice, not asking his permission.

His reasoning is idiotic.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post

I still feel like angles are much improved by moving across and the chance of completely missing an OOB call on the opposite endline is pretty slim.
I fail to see how moving across the lane as lead would have any impact on missing an OOB call on the opposite endline.

Did you, perhaps, mean sideline?

If that is the case, the odds you'll miss and OOB situation on that sideline is much lower than missing a foul call or OOB situation on the opposite side of the lane by not going.

And really, the only type of OOB call you might miss would be on a long, overthrown skip pass where the recipient steps on the line as they're catching the ball. Aside from that, the rest are pretty easy and you have plenty of time to get back. You just have to be quick to return when the ball and players are no longer in a position to require that you be across the lane.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 01:30pm.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'm confused

I'm sorry I didn't bring my manual today, is this 2 man or 3 man mechanics?

In either case, I work where ever I need to get great angles for my team and myself. If you feel you can get more plays correct and great angles by moving across the lane, then by all means get yourself across.

If this is 3 man, I fail to see how this would ever be a problem, if I don't see a ball go OOB opposite the paint endline, I just ask for the C's help.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 03:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I'm sorry I didn't bring my manual today, is this 2 man or 3 man mechanics?

In either case, I work where ever I need to get great angles for my team and myself. If you feel you can get more plays correct and great angles by moving across the lane, then by all means get yourself across.

If this is 3 man, I fail to see how this would ever be a problem, if I don't see a ball go OOB opposite the paint endline, I just ask for the C's help.
I inferred 2 man, since 3 man universally involves rotating to the strong side.

Further, he noted he heads over when the majority of players are on T's side. That doesn't make sense in 3 man.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 04:33pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I inferred 2 man, since 3 man universally involves rotating to the strong side.
Not to mention the OP's reference to officials manual 2.3.3b which deals with 2-man mechanics.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Well how many camps do you go to where they are teaching 2 man mechanics? This is what confused me, I can't think of any that I have ever been to.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 05:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well how many camps do you go to where they are teaching 2 man mechanics? This is what confused me, I can't think of any that I have ever been to.
Well we have many camps in this area that teach 2 person mechanics. There are even camps with floor time that teach 2 person mechanics.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well we have many camps in this area that teach 2 person mechanics. There are even camps with floor time that teach 2 person mechanics.

Peace
Where was this when I was first starting? I'm glad it's being taught out there though, at least in some areas. I know of only one camp out in this area that does it, but they started last year and it's generally viewed as only for first year officials.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 06:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Where was this when I was first starting? I'm glad it's being taught out there though, at least in some areas. I know of only one camp out in this area that does it, but they started last year and it's generally viewed as only for first year officials.
Well we have a camp system in our state that is required for officials to attend camps. Now not all camps are working floor games which means that those that do not want to work games at a camp or just want to do the bare minimum to keep their licenses. Often the material covered is 2 Person as those wishing to work varsity or playoffs must work or attend a 3 person camp to be seriously considered for those assignments. I even run a class where that is pretty much all that is discussed.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 10:34pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Every camp in Oklahoma is a two man camp with the exception of 1.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 11:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Since CO is primarily a 3-person state for all classes (I know some Denver schools are an exception, but they are the exception), it makes sense that 2-person training would be limited.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 06:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Land That Time Forgot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Every camp in Oklahoma is a two man camp with the exception of one.
Wow. A western version of Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 09:18pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I fail to see how moving across the lane as lead would have any impact on missing an OOB call on the opposite endline.

Did you, perhaps, mean sideline?

If that is the case, the odds you'll miss and OOB situation on that sideline is much lower than missing a foul call or OOB situation on the opposite side of the lane by not going.

And really, the only type of OOB call you might miss would be on a long, overthrown skip pass where the recipient steps on the line as they're catching the ball. Aside from that, the rest are pretty easy and you have plenty of time to get back. You just have to be quick to return when the ball and players are no longer in a position to require that you be across the lane.
Yes I meant sideline, not endline and yes this is with 2-man mechanics.
I agree with most that the chances of missing an OOB is slim compared to the calls you can miss by not moving across the key.