The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lead move across the lane? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94904-lead-move-across-lane.html)

Sharpshooternes Mon Apr 29, 2013 02:02am

Lead move across the lane?

The "pinch the paint" thread got me thinking about this and in conjunction with an alumni tournament game I did this week, I want to ask what people's opinions are for the lead moving a cross the paint. The Officials Manual 2.3.3.b talks about moving across the paint when the majority of the players are on the T's side. At one of the main camps, the evaluators last year mentioned this and since i started doing it I really like. The only downside is when there is a muffed pass and it goes out on the far end line where neither official is. Some of our officials do this and some don't.
My most recent does not. When I was pregaming that I do move across occasionally if play dictates he looked at me like I was crazy and wanted me to try doing it without moving across. He said "We should be good enough to be able get anything if it happens without moving across."

I still feel like angles are much improved by moving across and the chance of completely missing an OOB call on the opposite endline is pretty slim. It takes a little more work and hustle to be successful but i feel like it is worth it.
Thoughts?

AremRed Mon Apr 29, 2013 02:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 892346)
I still feel like angles are much improved by moving across and the chance of completely missing an OOB call on the opposite endline is pretty slim. It takes a little more work and hustle to be successful but i feel like it is worth it.
Thoughts?

I do it a few times per game, especially when there is an inbounds play on the T's sideline, when all the players are on that half of the court. I don't think I have had a missed OOB call due to this, probably because I am only across for a few seconds, and the T usually has a good angle on tipped passes.

Adam Mon Apr 29, 2013 09:04am

Everyone does it here, and if a partner tried telling me not to, I'd move on with the pregame and do it anyway.

If he said something later, I'd tell him I was just giving him notice, not asking his permission.

His reasoning is idiotic.

Camron Rust Mon Apr 29, 2013 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 892346)

I still feel like angles are much improved by moving across and the chance of completely missing an OOB call on the opposite endline is pretty slim.

I fail to see how moving across the lane as lead would have any impact on missing an OOB call on the opposite endline.

Did you, perhaps, mean sideline?

If that is the case, the odds you'll miss and OOB situation on that sideline is much lower than missing a foul call or OOB situation on the opposite side of the lane by not going.

And really, the only type of OOB call you might miss would be on a long, overthrown skip pass where the recipient steps on the line as they're catching the ball. Aside from that, the rest are pretty easy and you have plenty of time to get back. You just have to be quick to return when the ball and players are no longer in a position to require that you be across the lane.

Toren Mon Apr 29, 2013 03:13pm

I'm confused

I'm sorry I didn't bring my manual today, is this 2 man or 3 man mechanics?

In either case, I work where ever I need to get great angles for my team and myself. If you feel you can get more plays correct and great angles by moving across the lane, then by all means get yourself across.

If this is 3 man, I fail to see how this would ever be a problem, if I don't see a ball go OOB opposite the paint endline, I just ask for the C's help.

Adam Mon Apr 29, 2013 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 892413)
I'm sorry I didn't bring my manual today, is this 2 man or 3 man mechanics?

In either case, I work where ever I need to get great angles for my team and myself. If you feel you can get more plays correct and great angles by moving across the lane, then by all means get yourself across.

If this is 3 man, I fail to see how this would ever be a problem, if I don't see a ball go OOB opposite the paint endline, I just ask for the C's help.

I inferred 2 man, since 3 man universally involves rotating to the strong side.

Further, he noted he heads over when the majority of players are on T's side. That doesn't make sense in 3 man.

AremRed Mon Apr 29, 2013 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 892422)
I inferred 2 man, since 3 man universally involves rotating to the strong side.

Not to mention the OP's reference to officials manual 2.3.3b which deals with 2-man mechanics.

Toren Mon Apr 29, 2013 05:07pm

Well how many camps do you go to where they are teaching 2 man mechanics? This is what confused me, I can't think of any that I have ever been to.

JRutledge Mon Apr 29, 2013 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 892434)
Well how many camps do you go to where they are teaching 2 man mechanics? This is what confused me, I can't think of any that I have ever been to.

Well we have many camps in this area that teach 2 person mechanics. There are even camps with floor time that teach 2 person mechanics.

Peace

Toren Mon Apr 29, 2013 05:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 892437)
Well we have many camps in this area that teach 2 person mechanics. There are even camps with floor time that teach 2 person mechanics.

Peace

Where was this when I was first starting? I'm glad it's being taught out there though, at least in some areas. I know of only one camp out in this area that does it, but they started last year and it's generally viewed as only for first year officials.

JRutledge Mon Apr 29, 2013 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 892438)
Where was this when I was first starting? I'm glad it's being taught out there though, at least in some areas. I know of only one camp out in this area that does it, but they started last year and it's generally viewed as only for first year officials.

Well we have a camp system in our state that is required for officials to attend camps. Now not all camps are working floor games which means that those that do not want to work games at a camp or just want to do the bare minimum to keep their licenses. Often the material covered is 2 Person as those wishing to work varsity or playoffs must work or attend a 3 person camp to be seriously considered for those assignments. I even run a class where that is pretty much all that is discussed.

Peace

OKREF Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 892434)

Every camp in Oklahoma is a two man camp with the exception of 1.

Adam Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 892438)

Since CO is primarily a 3-person state for all classes (I know some Denver schools are an exception, but they are the exception), it makes sense that 2-person training would be limited.

BillyMac Tue Apr 30, 2013 06:01am

Another Land That Time Forgot ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 892457)
Every camp in Oklahoma is a two man camp with the exception of one.

Wow. A western version of Connecticut.

Sharpshooternes Tue May 07, 2013 09:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 892390)
I fail to see how moving across the lane as lead would have any impact on missing an OOB call on the opposite endline.

Did you, perhaps, mean sideline?

If that is the case, the odds you'll miss and OOB situation on that sideline is much lower than missing a foul call or OOB situation on the opposite side of the lane by not going.

And really, the only type of OOB call you might miss would be on a long, overthrown skip pass where the recipient steps on the line as they're catching the ball. Aside from that, the rest are pretty easy and you have plenty of time to get back. You just have to be quick to return when the ball and players are no longer in a position to require that you be across the lane.

Yes I meant sideline, not endline and yes this is with 2-man mechanics.
I agree with most that the chances of missing an OOB is slim compared to the calls you can miss by not moving across the key.