The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 10:37pm
I miss being on the floor

Rotating as Lead in 2 Man?

The last half of this season, I've found that when I'm the L, the ball is on the opposite wing, and there's a player posting up ball side, I rotate over to the ball side to get a better look at the post matchup.

This sort of happened instinctively, didn't really think about it the first time it happened. Anyone else do this?
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 10:51pm
We don't rent pigs

My advice is be careful about this. You can miss just as much by being too close as too far. And now if the ball swings back to your wing it will be more difficult to cover the sideline.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
And now if the ball swings back to your wing it will be more difficult to cover the sideline.
Absolutely. I would never rotate....just "cheat" no farther than the lane line extended on ball side. Still gives you a good look to your secondary and a quick turn, 2 step, and look back to your PCA if there is a quick swing.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 11:02pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Absolutely. I would never rotate....just "cheat" no farther than the lane line extended on ball side. Still gives you a good look to your secondary and a quick turn, 2 step, and look back to your PCA if there is a quick swing.
Good advice.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Yes I'll rotate over if the majority of the players are on the other side with post action. Rotating in two man is a compromise that gives up sideline coverage with superior post coverage. Getting a feel for a team's offense, you can get a sense of whether the ball will go into the post or whether the offense tends to throw skip passes or move the ball around on the perimeter.

This is also something you have to pregame with your partner so he knows to to expand his coverage area appropriately. I wouldn't rotate over without first telling my partner.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 11:32pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
The last half of this season, I've found that when I'm the L, the ball is on the opposite wing, and there's a player posting up ball side, I rotate over to the ball side to get a better look at the post matchup.

This sort of happened instinctively, didn't really think about it the first time it happened. Anyone else do this?

Yes, I do. And why? Because if one reads the NFHS Officials Manual or and of the old CCA Two-Person (Men's or Women's) Manuals you will read about the mechanic called: Going Ball Side.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 11:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Yes I'll rotate over if the majority of the players are on the other side with post action. Rotating in two man is a compromise that gives up sideline coverage with superior post coverage. Getting a feel for a team's offense, you can get a sense of whether the ball will go into the post or whether the offense tends to throw skip passes or move the ball around on the perimeter.

This is also something you have to pregame with your partner so he knows to to expand his coverage area appropriately. I wouldn't rotate over without first telling my partner.
Agree completely but we have been trained similarly.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

There are a couple of problems I have with this. Who is watching the one or two other competitive matchups on the other side? Some of the worst/cheap fouls happen off ball. And why can't your trail close down when there is competitive post play?
Old Sat Feb 25, 2012, 12:01am
We don't rent pigs

It's easier to ref the post from the sideline than to ref the sideline from the post.

Feel free to quote me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 25, 2012, 12:10am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
It's easier to ref the post from the sideline than to ref the sideline from the post.

Feel free to quote me.
I'd rather have a better look at the post than the sideline.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2012, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Feel free to quote me.
In all the times I've gone ballside, I have had maybe one or two times where the open sideline became an issue. Almost anytime the ball goes out that side, even rotated ballside, the lead will be able to tell who the all when out on while rotating back.

As far as who has the weak side in this situation if there's a competitive match up, the trail has to pick this up. I tend to pregame that the trail will move toward the center of the court to help pick up off ball action. This is why it's important to have a pregame before you use this mechanic. Again, 2-man is all about compromise and this mechanic is one of them. Most of your action and fouls are going to happen ball side, especially if there's post action.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 25, 2012, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

I would rather see the Trail move towards the end line to get a better look than to have the lead rotate all the way over to ball side. Of course, the play dictates, and maybe all players are there as well, but normally I want the lead to have a clear view of his/her PCA. Unless all 10 players have collapsed to that corner, the lead should not rotate all the way over. If you do this, you better be as deep off of the end line as you can so your peripheral vision can see weak side as well.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2012, 12:24am
Archaic Power Monger

Well per the NFHS mechanics manual, the lead's PCA can extend to the other side of the court

This is how APG and I have both been trained and are expected to officiate these plays.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2012, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

To my knowledge, NFHS and IAABO mechanics require the L to rotate ball sidde in this situation. You aren't going to have an OOB play on the opposite sideline unless it's a skip pass, in which case it's not that difficult to make the call.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 25, 2012, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Yes, I do. And why? Because if one reads the NFHS Officials Manual or and of the old CCA Two-Person (Men's or Women's) Manuals you will read about the mechanic called: Going Ball Side.

MTD, Sr.
You and I must be old, I thought this was a trick question

I've noticed a lot of newer officials don't do it for some reason - regardless of whether we pregame it.