The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Origin of pulling your whistle out of pocket when you're just about to tip off

I don't do it, I use a laynard and put on when I'm in locker room, nor due I tuck whistle in shirt. I'm R last week and our U1 is a fairly new varsity official and so wants to be a big dawg. I noticed he had his laynard hanging out of his pocket and as he is leaving block to get into position pulls out whistle only to have noose be in a knot, we wait about 30 seconds before he has unknots it and puts it on, even home coach is razzing him. My partner and I good naturedly ripped him at half.


So when did this all start? I'm guessing this filtered down from D1 and copied

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:43am.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:25pm
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,606
never heard of it
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:41pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I don't do it, I use a laynard and put on when I'm in locker room, nor due I tuck whistle in shirt. I'm R last week and our U1 is a fairly new varsity official and so wants to be a big dawg. I noticed he had his laynard hanging out of his pocket and as he is leaving block to get into position pulls out whistle only to have noose be in a knot, we wait about 30 seconds before he has unknots it and puts it on, even home coach is razzing him. My partner and I good naturedly ripped him at half.


So when did this all start? I'm guessing this filtered down from D1 and copied


edit for thread title * you're

I believe you can edit your own title. That being said I do take the whistle out late before I jump the ball, but usually after we run across the court. But I never did this because someone at the college level did this. Actually I basically did this to not have the whistle dangling well before the contest.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:14am
APG's Avatar
APG APG is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,890
Edited the title for you...

As I don't like to use a lanyard and my assignor doesn't care if I use one, my whistle is in my pocket until I'm getting into whether position I'll be for the jump ball.
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:42am
This IS My Social Life
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at L, T, or C
Posts: 2,189
How Rome is Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
...our U1 is a fairly new varsity official and so wants to be a big dawg. I noticed he had his laynard hanging out of his pocket...
I did this for a coupla games early this season and after an observer told me it looked stupid I put it back inside my shirt and don't do that anymore.

Maybe it will catch on sometime, but right now only maverick big-time wannabe's from a rather distant large city go without a lanyard. If more guys did it it might look normal, I suppose. Not sure if it will catch on or not. Doesn't look like it.

I did realize tonight right after taking off my coat that I forgot my whistle. Partner had a nice new Fox 40 with lanyard in his pocket. Handy.
__________________
Making Every Effort to Be in the Right Place at the Right Time, Looking at the Right Thing to Make the Right Call
www.myvirtualofficialsassociation.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Did you always leave it in pocket until tip off?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:04am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I don't do it, I use a laynard and put on when I'm in locker room, nor due I tuck whistle in shirt. I'm R last week and our U1 is a fairly new varsity official and so wants to be a big dawg. I noticed he had his laynard hanging out of his pocket and as he is leaving block to get into position pulls out whistle only to have noose be in a knot, we wait about 30 seconds before he has unknots it and puts it on, even home coach is razzing him. My partner and I good naturedly ripped him at half.


So when did this all start? I'm guessing this filtered down from D1 and copied
Virtually all of the referees with whom I work keep their whistles in their pockets until just prior to tip-off. Further, whenever there is an extended break -- time outs, between quarters, etc. -- they (we) either remove our whistles or tuck them in our shirts. I personally started doing this when a veteran official suggested that someone could come out of the stands and grab the whistle and create a very uncomfortable situation for the referee. Ever since, I have kept the whistle out of plain sight until ready for play....
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:48am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Virtually all of the referees with whom I work keep their whistles in their pockets until just prior to tip-off. Further, whenever there is an extended break -- time outs, between quarters, etc. -- they (we) either remove our whistles or tuck them in our shirts. I personally started doing this when a veteran official suggested that someone could come out of the stands and grab the whistle and create a very uncomfortable situation for the referee. Ever since, I have kept the whistle out of plain sight until ready for play....
Tucking it away during time outs and intermissions seems a little unnecessary, but before and after the game and during halftime, mine goes under the shirt. It's too easy for someone to grab to leave hanging out there. And if you're wearing a neck lanyard, it could be life-threatening in a fight if it's grabbed.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:56am
I miss being on the floor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 917
I'd say yall are being too paranoid about people grabbing the whistle in a fight, but we've seen way too often that you can't put anything past anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:59am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I'd say yall are being too paranoid about people grabbing the whistle in a fight, but we've seen way too often that you can't put anything past anyone.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me

Seriously though, if someone is going to throw a haymaker at you, they usually will grab at the center of your shirt to try to hold you in place for the punch. Why give them one more thing to grab at?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:03am
Tio Tio is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 463
Having a lanyard hanging out of your pocket looks sloppy and attracts undue attention to yourself. He should have been humiliated that he held up the start of the game and if not, I would have made sure to let him have it at halftime.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:05am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Having a lanyard hanging out of your pocket looks sloppy and attracts undue attention to yourself. He should have been humiliated that he held up the start of the game and if not, I would have made sure to let him have it at halftime.
Lighten up, Francis. If I had done it, I'd probably be laughing with the rest of my crew.

My goodness, this isn't brain surgery we're performing out there. Seems as though some people can't ever have a little FUN on the floor.

(That said, I used to be a pocket person and I just put my noose on under my jacket now.)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:59am
Tio Tio is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Lighten up, Francis. If I had done it, I'd probably be laughing with the rest of my crew.

My goodness, this isn't brain surgery we're performing out there. Seems as though some people can't ever have a little FUN on the floor.

(That said, I used to be a pocket person and I just put my noose on under my jacket now.)
No, it is not brain surgery, but it is unprofessional to have a lanyard hanging out of your pocket and then have to untie a knot and hold up the game. This is not the tone we want to set starting a game.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
No, it is not brain surgery, but it is unprofessional to have a lanyard hanging out of your pocket and then have to untie a knot and hold up the game. This is not the tone we want to set starting a game.
Well I guess I am "unprofessional" as I have my lanyard hanging out of my pocket before the game. I do that so I make sure I have it with me and hardly anyone notices considering it is black and my pants are black. But hey if that is a problem then someone would have been saying something by now. Now I put my lanyard on well before the jump ball in time. I do what I do kind of as a superstitious thing and to get my mind right with a routine.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:43am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
... I noticed he had his laynard hanging out of his pocket...
I do this. I don't like it around my neck unless it needs to be, which is when the game starts. I tuck it in my shirt during all time-outs b/c I don't want it bouncing around. As soon as the horn for halftime goes off I take it off my neck and put it in the pocket of the direction we are going in the 2nd half.

Would only change this is if Tio was a supervisor signing my checks.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 11:47am.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NBA Official Keeps Spare Whistle in Pocket! JugglingReferee Basketball 32 Mon Apr 23, 2012 05:13pm
Origin of the jump stop? DC_Ref12 Basketball 19 Tue Mar 20, 2007 04:24pm
Block Origin bwbuddy Basketball 12 Tue Nov 04, 2003 01:48pm
Origin of the term Pickle Goin' Yard Baseball 7 Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:55am
Stare and puke - the origin Mark Padgett Basketball 8 Wed Dec 19, 2001 02:04pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1