The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

What's the origin and reasoning behind the block on each side of the foul lane? In NFHS, what's the ruling if a player makes contact with the block before the foul shot attempt reaches the rim?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bwbuddy
What's the origin and reasoning behind the block on each side of the foul lane? In NFHS, what's the ruling if a player makes contact with the block before the foul shot attempt reaches the rim?
1) Just a guess -- Reduce rough play between the two players (on each side) closest to the basket.

2) By rule, it's a Violation. "Contact" with the block isn't needed -- onlu breaking the plane of the block with either foot.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 08:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by bwbuddy
What's the origin and reasoning behind the block on each side of the foul lane?
Just a guess -- Reduce rough play between the two players (on each side) closest to the basket.

That was the exact reason given when they made the change to the 12" block from the 2" wide line that used to separate the spots.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Was this change made at the same time they widened the lane because of Wilt Chamberlain's dominance of the game?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 01:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Was this change made at the same time they widened the lane because of Wilt Chamberlain's dominance of the game?
I think that it was years after they widened the lane from 6' to 12' that the blocks were introduced.It wasn't at the same time,if I remember right.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Two years ago my league used NCAA rules. Last year we started using fed. I don't have new rule books so please help me remember the answer to this very simple question.

NCAA-players can stand on the block (Is this still true?)

HS--can they stand on the block?

--I wish the post office or whoever has our books would hurry up and get them here so I can start studying for my test.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA mens yes
NCAA women and NF no
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By rule, it's a Violation. "Contact" with the block isn't needed -- onlu breaking the plane of the block with either foot.
However, by rulebreaking the plane with any other part of your body is legal. Even touching the court inside the lane is okay by a strict reading of the rules as long as your feet do not break the plane.

For example, if a player loses his balance and falls forward into the lane and catches himself in push-up position so that his feet never moved, this is not a violation.
99.9% of all officials will call it one though. I would likely rule it disconcertion if it was done by an opponent.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
For example, if a player loses his balance and falls forward into the lane and catches himself in push-up position so that his feet never moved, this is not a violation.
I think I'd consider this "leaving a marked lane space". 9-1-6.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 11:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I think I'd consider this "leaving a marked lane space". 9-1-6.
I think that the FED rulemakers would agree with you. That fits the purpose and intent of the restrictions, imo.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
By rule, it's a Violation. "Contact" with the block isn't needed -- onlu breaking the plane of the block with either foot.
99.9% of all officials will call it one though. I would likely rule it disconcertion if it was done by an opponent.
And why do I get the feeling you would then have a foul on the poor sumna***** who tripped over the kid giving us 20?

Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 01:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
And why do I get the feeling you would then have a foul on the poor sumna***** who tripped over the kid giving us 20?

[/B]
You mean that it isn't legal for someone on the lane to go into a four-point football stance with both hands on the floor in the lane- before the ball is shot? Gives a new meaning to the term "blocking out".
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
You mean that it isn't legal for someone on the lane to go into a four-point football stance with both hands on the floor in the lane- before the ball is shot? Gives a new meaning to the term "blocking out". [/B]
Interesting tactics we got developing here - A2, team mate of freethrower A1, is on the lane at the second spot. He crouches down into the football stance as the ball is released. FT misses, B1 goes for the rebound & stumbles over A2. Foul on B1. Nice, that will go a long way to cleaning up freethrows.

Elsewhere, our new tactic is to have the dribbler hop on one foot up & down the floor, going from one end to the other. Of course, he can only do this for 10 seconds. Would not want this game to slide into a state of inactivity.

Anyway...I'm surprised that more coaches don't come here to pick up these tidbits.