The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 03:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Some of you may have noticed two phrases used more frequently on this board. They are "stare at his pants" and "puke on his shoes." Since I am guilty of introducing them, here are their origins, just for reference.

"Stare at this pants" comes from a thing we used to do in High School back in the 60s. Someone started staring at another guy's pants just to unnerve him. It caught on as one of those dumb things HS guys do. I defy any guy to not feel self-conscious if another guy just stands in front of you and stares at your pants. Immediately, you think something is very wrong, probably that your pants are wet in front, or something. It's just an "upsmanship" thing.

"Puke on his shoes" actually comes from a very old Mad Magazine story on the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. They did a story about the show and showed Ed McMahon as an incredible drunk. In the story, every time he would introduce a new guest, he would then puke on his own shoes. I always thought it sounded funny and I just say it once in a while. I like humor based on outrageousness, and this is an example of that.

Now kiddies, if you're really good this holiday season, someday I'll tell you everything you always wanted to know about Dave but were afraid to ask.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

MARK

When is "santa" going revive the davisms!.. We are on the edge of our seats.

Merry Christmas!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Some of you may have noticed two phrases used more frequently on this board. They are "stare at his pants" and "puke on his shoes." Since I am guilty of introducing them, here are their origins, just for reference.

"Stare at this pants" comes from a thing we used to do in High School back in the 60s. Someone started staring at another guy's pants just to unnerve him. It caught on as one of those dumb things HS guys do. I defy any guy to not feel self-conscious if another guy just stands in front of you and stares at your pants. Immediately, you think something is very wrong, probably that your pants are wet in front, or something. It's just an "upsmanship" thing.

"Puke on his shoes" actually comes from a very old Mad Magazine story on the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. They did a story about the show and showed Ed McMahon as an incredible drunk. In the story, every time he would introduce a new guest, he would then puke on his own shoes. I always thought it sounded funny and I just say it once in a while. I like humor based on outrageousness, and this is an example of that.
And I thought is was the water in North Cack-A-Lackie!

Larks (VIT)
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Before my time . . .

What are the "sixties?"

Does it have anything to do with them LP's that everyone was talking about?

Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 01:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: Before my time . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
What are the "sixties?"

Funny you should bring that up. Tonight, I was watching my new DVD boxed set of old Hullabaloo shows from 1968-69. For those of you newbies, this was an NBC show that featured musical guests each week. The episode I watched had an incredible mix of talent, including Herman's Hermits and Freddie and the Dreamers (yuk to both of them), but also had Chuck Barry, The Four Seasons and the Spencer Davis Group (all cool). The sad part was when Freddie started doing his trademark dance, cleverly named "The Freddie". He looked like Bobby Knight complaining about a foul. The really sad part is that the other guests had to come on stage and do it with him.

You've never seen anything so bizarre as Chuck Barry doing The Freddie. It's enough to make one puke on his own shoes.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

the 4 seasons- basketball, football, baseball, and the off?
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 06:14am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: Re: Before my time . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
What are the "sixties?"

Funny you should bring that up. Tonight, I was watching my new DVD boxed set of old Hullabaloo shows from 1968-69. For those of you newbies, this was an NBC show that featured musical guests each week. The episode I watched had an incredible mix of talent, including Herman's Hermits and Freddie and the Dreamers (yuk to both of them), but also had Chuck Barry, The Four Seasons and the Spencer Davis Group (all cool). The sad part was when Freddie started doing his trademark dance, cleverly named "The Freddie". He looked like Bobby Knight complaining about a foul. The really sad part is that the other guests had to come on stage and do it with him.

You've never seen anything so bizarre as Chuck Barry doing The Freddie. It's enough to make one puke on his own shoes.
Damn,Mark,I remember seeing that exact same show.I had the exact same sentiments about those English clowns too.Brings back memories!Now we got rap(sigh).
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Before my time . . .

Quote:
What are the "sixties?"
Sigh. I am so old. I will now light myself on fire. Better to burn out than fade away. How's that for 60's, Mark? Kids today. . .

Quote:
originally posted by crew
the 4 seasons- basketball, football, baseball, and the off?
basketball, football, baseball, and lacrosse!

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 02:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Re: Before my time . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
What are the "sixties?"
Sigh. I am so old. I will now light myself on fire. Better to burn out than fade away. How's that for 60's, Mark? Kids today. . .

Here's how sick we were. We used to say that you should spend all your money on drugs. The reason was that drugs would get you through periods of no money much better than money would get you through periods of no drugs.

Don't think the same way today, however. Fortunately, I can still think (sometimes, anyway).