The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I think having the whistle hanging out of your pocket is just another ritual. I don't see it being a big deal either way. Really, people don't pay as much attention to us as some of us think.
Agreed on both points. I think it's funny that so many people think that anything other officials do that they don't personally like or do themselves then those other officials are trying to be "big dawgs" or "big time" or copying officials at a higher level.

And besides other officials, people do not pay nearly as much attention to us as many of us think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I started putting my whistle in my right pocket after I forgot my whistle at the start of one game. If it is on your shirt / around your neck it is easier to think you have it on when you don't — at least for me it was.

Just started putting it in my right pocket and as I left the locker room I would pat my pocket to make sure I had it ... never forgot again!!
When I transferred into my current association 4 years ago I noticed many of the veteran officials putting the whistle in their right pocket. I had never done this myself and didnt really like it at first so I didnt do it.

Then I forgot my whistle in the locker room one time because I thought it was around my neck. Another time I couldnt find my whistle only to discover it already around my neck. And as I started getting more R assignments and having to runn across the court with the ball in my hand prior to the toss/tip, I didnt like also holding my lanyard with the other hand to keep it from bouncing.

So I now put my whistle in my pocket because it lets me know I have it and I don't have to hold my lanyard or worry about it bouncing around before the game. I do check for knots prior to putting in my pocket and pull it out when I get opposite the table.

Bottom line is that IMO something like this is much more about personal preference/ritual and not about big timing it or anything that should bother anyone else.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:48pm
We don't rent pigs

I put my whistle around my neck before I leave the house. I've forgotten it twice in 27 years but remembered it before I got a mile from home both times.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
+1.

But I do think you should take it out of your pocket in time so that if you do need to straighten it out, you don't delay the start of the game.

Up next: at EXACTLY what time during the introductions do you take off your jacket? Does it depend on whether the announcer alternates teams or doeas all of one team first followed by the other team? (Sorry -- flashing back to an overly detailed pre-game from many years ago)

Ha.....just was thinking about this last week. my rule of thumb is after player intros we take them off, always waiting for R to start first. Had a partner last week, just before intros, unzips and jacket comes off as myself (r) and U1 kept them on.

It was a harbinger of things to come for rest of the night by the way.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Ha.....just was thinking about this last week. my rule of thumb is after player intros we take them off, always waiting for R to start first. Had a partner last week, just before intros, unzips and jacket comes off as myself (r) and U1 kept them on.

It was a harbinger of things to come for rest of the night by the way.
I have no rule of thumb, myself. I usually take it off as soon as the introductions start. Nobody's looking at us that.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I have no rule of thumb, myself. I usually take it off as soon as the introductions start. Nobody's looking at us that.
Just a little thing, IMHO makes you look like more of a team. Small potatos.

By the way, working kids games last night and talking to partner about videos with plays situations and he says " you won't believe the one I saw where trail(new lead) calls an inbounding five second call after made basket " I smiled!
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I wear a smitty and tuck it into my shirt until we're ready to go
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:57am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I put my whistle around my neck before I leave the house. I've forgotten it twice in 27 years but remembered it before I got a mile from home both times.
Amateur. I wear a whistle around my neck 24/7. Yeah, it gets in the way in certain situations, but it's a small price to pay for being ready to go in a case a game breaks out in my living room.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:09am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
i wear a smitty and tuck it into my shirt until we're ready to go
+1
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Just a little thing, IMHO makes you look like more of a team. Small potatos.

By the way, working kids games last night and talking to partner about videos with plays situations and he says " you won't believe the one I saw where trail(new lead) calls an inbounding five second call after made basket " I smiled!
I can't imagine anyone ever doing that.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:55am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I can't imagine anyone ever doing that.
Especially not at the end of a closely contested game...
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
i can't imagine anyone ever doing that.
Yeah, why would they?

Last edited by fullor30; Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 12:18pm.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2013, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
i can't imagine anyone ever doing that.
Nope, it could never happen!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.