View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I don't do it, I use a laynard and put on when I'm in locker room, nor due I tuck whistle in shirt. I'm R last week and our U1 is a fairly new varsity official and so wants to be a big dawg. I noticed he had his laynard hanging out of his pocket and as he is leaving block to get into position pulls out whistle only to have noose be in a knot, we wait about 30 seconds before he has unknots it and puts it on, even home coach is razzing him. My partner and I good naturedly ripped him at half.

So when did this all start? I'm guessing this filtered down from D1 and copied
Virtually all of the referees with whom I work keep their whistles in their pockets until just prior to tip-off. Further, whenever there is an extended break -- time outs, between quarters, etc. -- they (we) either remove our whistles or tuck them in our shirts. I personally started doing this when a veteran official suggested that someone could come out of the stands and grab the whistle and create a very uncomfortable situation for the referee. Ever since, I have kept the whistle out of plain sight until ready for play....