Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Here is the origin:

Classic Movie Line #34 - YouTube
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:56am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
No, it is not brain surgery, but it is unprofessional to have a lanyard hanging out of your pocket and then have to untie a knot and hold up the game. This is not the tone we want to set starting a game.
Like Rich said, Lighten up Francis (great movie by the way)...

There mare so many other things more important than this when it comes to "setting a tone" to start a game.

It really is ok to laugh and smile on the court when things like this happen.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post

There mare so many other things more important than this when it comes to "setting a tone" to start a game.

It really is ok to laugh and smile on the court when things like this happen.
Last week I was about to tip off the 1st game a BJV/BV DH and realized I didn't have my whistle. It actually ended up lightening the mood of the official scorer who seemed irritated during my pre-game table meeting. She teased me about it and then she and I were best of friends the rest of the evening.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Last week I was about to tip off the 1st game a BJV/BV DH and realized I didn't have my whistle. It actually ended up lightening the mood of the official scorer who seemed irritated during my pre-game table meeting. She teased me about it and then she and I were best of friends the rest of the evening.
Speaking of pi$$ing off table staff...

We were watching a bit of the JV game at a school last week. My partner noticed that the timeout timer was put up on the clock and ticked down for every timeout called. He wanted that shut off and, well, I agree. Teams want to know how much time is left in a quarter, the officials want to know, etc. etc. Watching a timeout tick down is silly.

During his meeting with the timer, he told the timer to shut that function off. This really ground the timer's gears apparently, cause when I went over prior to the game he turned away when I went down the line to introduce myself and shake hands. I immediately turned to my partner and said (pretty loudly), "Now look at what you did."

He did turn off the function, however.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 03:04pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Speaking of pi$$ing off table staff...

We were watching a bit of the JV game at a school last week. My partner noticed that the timeout timer was put up on the clock and ticked down for every timeout called. He wanted that shut off and, well, I agree. Teams want to know how much time is left in a quarter, the officials want to know, etc. etc. Watching a timeout tick down is silly.

During his meeting with the timer, he told the timer to shut that function off. This really ground the timer's gears apparently, cause when I went over prior to the game he turned away when I went down the line to introduce myself and shake hands. I immediately turned to my partner and said (pretty loudly), "Now look at what you did."

He did turn off the function, however.
Had a stinkin' parent during the same game I tossed the coach running the clock for 6th grade. Clock was only supposed to stop for TOs and during FTs. The entire game he would stop the clock when he wasn't supposed to and then forget to restart it pretty much every time. Bill, clock, every 30 seconds was really annoying. Anyway, got that game finished and realized he would be doing the next game because his son's team was doing a DH. About 3 min. into the game I had been hollering at him for about a minute and so was my partner to start the clock. he didn't. As we were transitioning, I slapped the table really loudly and hollered at him "clock!!!" The rest of the game ran very smoothly after that.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
indeed.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:48am
Huck Finn

I think having the whistle hanging out of your pocket is just another ritual. I don't see it being a big deal either way. Really, people don't pay as much attention to us as some of us think.

What I do with my whistle is actually on the opposite end of this discussion. When I start getting dressed, I put my whistle around my neck...before I do anything else. Well, almost anything - depending on what I'm wearing. If I'm wearing anything except a tie, the whistle goes on before I start undressing. It is just something I do and have done for a long time.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I think having the whistle hanging out of your pocket is just another ritual. I don't see it being a big deal either way. Really, people don't pay as much attention to us as some of us think.
+1.

But I do think you should take it out of your pocket in time so that if you do need to straighten it out, you don't delay the start of the game.

Up next: at EXACTLY what time during the introductions do you take off your jacket? Does it depend on whether the announcer alternates teams or doeas all of one team first followed by the other team? (Sorry -- flashing back to an overly detailed pre-game from many years ago)
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 10:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
+1.

But I do think you should take it out of your pocket in time so that if you do need to straighten it out, you don't delay the start of the game.

Up next: at EXACTLY what time during the introductions do you take off your jacket? Does it depend on whether the announcer alternates teams or doeas all of one team first followed by the other team? (Sorry -- flashing back to an overly detailed pre-game from many years ago)
For the first time in awhile I had a game where the announcer alternated each starter. That has not happen in some time.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
+1.

When I feel like it? We used to always take them off after the visiting team was announced. Now I may take it off earlier, depending on how I feel at the time.

If both teams go in and we go back to the locker room, we may just leave them there. Hasn't happened this season, though.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:25am
Huck Finn

Another one of the "normal" rituals I don't participate in...I don't fold my jacket up when I take it off. What I do it close to balling it up and sometimes I do actually ball it up. I'm a rebel!
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 01:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Only The Old Timers Will Get This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
When I start getting dressed, I put my whistle around my neck, before I do anything else.
I'm picturing Brooke Shields, as a basketball official, getting dressed.

"You wanna know what comes between me and my whistle? Nothing."

(And it's a pretty picture.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
When I feel like it? We used to always take them off after the visiting team was announced. Now I may take it off earlier, depending on how I feel at the time.
Oh. That's completely unprofessional. It even borders on affecting your integrity. You're just trying to "big-time" me. I'd never work with you if you do that.

Why? Because it's not how I do it and my way is the only right way.

Now if we could just make that the auto reply to all threads of this sort and then automatically close the thread we'd all be better off.

(First two paragraphs in blue. Third one is reasonably serious).
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

I have my lanyard hanging out of my pocket. I've done it for a number of years. I don't like having the lanyard around my neck, which is the style I wear, and I don't want it to ball up into a knot in my pocket.

Jacket comes off between national anthem and starters being announced.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 09:24pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

I started putting my whistle in my right pocket after I forgot my whistle at the start of one game. If it is on your shirt / around your neck it is easier to think you have it on when you don't — at least for me it was.

Just started putting it in my right pocket and as I left the locker room I would pat my pocket to make sure I had it ... never forgot again!!