The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Origin of pulling your whistle out of pocket when you're just about to tip off

I don't do it, I use a laynard and put on when I'm in locker room, nor due I tuck whistle in shirt. I'm R last week and our U1 is a fairly new varsity official and so wants to be a big dawg. I noticed he had his laynard hanging out of his pocket and as he is leaving block to get into position pulls out whistle only to have noose be in a knot, we wait about 30 seconds before he has unknots it and puts it on, even home coach is razzing him. My partner and I good naturedly ripped him at half.

So when did this all start? I'm guessing this filtered down from D1 and copied

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 12:43am.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:25pm
We don't rent pigs

never heard of it

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I don't do it, I use a laynard and put on when I'm in locker room, nor due I tuck whistle in shirt. I'm R last week and our U1 is a fairly new varsity official and so wants to be a big dawg. I noticed he had his laynard hanging out of his pocket and as he is leaving block to get into position pulls out whistle only to have noose be in a knot, we wait about 30 seconds before he has unknots it and puts it on, even home coach is razzing him. My partner and I good naturedly ripped him at half.

edit for thread title * you're

I believe you can edit your own title. That being said I do take the whistle out late before I jump the ball, but usually after we run across the court. But I never did this because someone at the college level did this. Actually I basically did this to not have the whistle dangling well before the contest.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Edited the title for you...

As I don't like to use a lanyard and my assignor doesn't care if I use one, my whistle is in my pocket until I'm getting into whether position I'll be for the jump ball.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:42am
This IS My Social Life

How Rome is Here

Quote:
...our U1 is a fairly new varsity official and so wants to be a big dawg. I noticed he had his laynard hanging out of his pocket...
I did this for a coupla games early this season and after an observer told me it looked stupid I put it back inside my shirt and don't do that anymore.

Maybe it will catch on sometime, but right now only maverick big-time wannabe's from a rather distant large city go without a lanyard. If more guys did it it might look normal, I suppose. Not sure if it will catch on or not. Doesn't look like it.

I did realize tonight right after taking off my coat that I forgot my whistle. Partner had a nice new Fox 40 with lanyard in his pocket. Handy.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Did you always leave it in pocket until tip off?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Virtually all of the referees with whom I work keep their whistles in their pockets until just prior to tip-off. Further, whenever there is an extended break -- time outs, between quarters, etc. -- they (we) either remove our whistles or tuck them in our shirts. I personally started doing this when a veteran official suggested that someone could come out of the stands and grab the whistle and create a very uncomfortable situation for the referee. Ever since, I have kept the whistle out of plain sight until ready for play....
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Virtually all of the referees with whom I work keep their whistles in their pockets until just prior to tip-off. Further, whenever there is an extended break -- time outs, between quarters, etc. -- they (we) either remove our whistles or tuck them in our shirts. I personally started doing this when a veteran official suggested that someone could come out of the stands and grab the whistle and create a very uncomfortable situation for the referee. Ever since, I have kept the whistle out of plain sight until ready for play....
Tucking it away during time outs and intermissions seems a little unnecessary, but before and after the game and during halftime, mine goes under the shirt. It's too easy for someone to grab to leave hanging out there. And if you're wearing a neck lanyard, it could be life-threatening in a fight if it's grabbed.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:56am
I miss being on the floor

I'd say yall are being too paranoid about people grabbing the whistle in a fight, but we've seen way too often that you can't put anything past anyone.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I'd say yall are being too paranoid about people grabbing the whistle in a fight, but we've seen way too often that you can't put anything past anyone.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me

Seriously though, if someone is going to throw a haymaker at you, they usually will grab at the center of your shirt to try to hold you in place for the punch. Why give them one more thing to grab at?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Having a lanyard hanging out of your pocket looks sloppy and attracts undue attention to yourself. He should have been humiliated that he held up the start of the game and if not, I would have made sure to let him have it at halftime.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Having a lanyard hanging out of your pocket looks sloppy and attracts undue attention to yourself. He should have been humiliated that he held up the start of the game and if not, I would have made sure to let him have it at halftime.
Lighten up, Francis. If I had done it, I'd probably be laughing with the rest of my crew.

My goodness, this isn't brain surgery we're performing out there. Seems as though some people can't ever have a little FUN on the floor.

(That said, I used to be a pocket person and I just put my noose on under my jacket now.)
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Lighten up, Francis. If I had done it, I'd probably be laughing with the rest of my crew.

My goodness, this isn't brain surgery we're performing out there. Seems as though some people can't ever have a little FUN on the floor.

(That said, I used to be a pocket person and I just put my noose on under my jacket now.)
No, it is not brain surgery, but it is unprofessional to have a lanyard hanging out of your pocket and then have to untie a knot and hold up the game. This is not the tone we want to set starting a game.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
No, it is not brain surgery, but it is unprofessional to have a lanyard hanging out of your pocket and then have to untie a knot and hold up the game. This is not the tone we want to set starting a game.
Well I guess I am "unprofessional" as I have my lanyard hanging out of my pocket before the game. I do that so I make sure I have it with me and hardly anyone notices considering it is black and my pants are black. But hey if that is a problem then someone would have been saying something by now. Now I put my lanyard on well before the jump ball in time. I do what I do kind of as a superstitious thing and to get my mind right with a routine.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... I noticed he had his laynard hanging out of his pocket...
I do this. I don't like it around my neck unless it needs to be, which is when the game starts. I tuck it in my shirt during all time-outs b/c I don't want it bouncing around. As soon as the horn for halftime goes off I take it off my neck and put it in the pocket of the direction we are going in the 2nd half.

Would only change this is if Tio was a supervisor signing my checks.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 11:47am.