View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I think having the whistle hanging out of your pocket is just another ritual. I don't see it being a big deal either way. Really, people don't pay as much attention to us as some of us think.
Agreed on both points. I think it's funny that so many people think that anything other officials do that they don't personally like or do themselves then those other officials are trying to be "big dawgs" or "big time" or copying officials at a higher level.

And besides other officials, people do not pay nearly as much attention to us as many of us think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I started putting my whistle in my right pocket after I forgot my whistle at the start of one game. If it is on your shirt / around your neck it is easier to think you have it on when you don't — at least for me it was.

Just started putting it in my right pocket and as I left the locker room I would pat my pocket to make sure I had it ... never forgot again!!
When I transferred into my current association 4 years ago I noticed many of the veteran officials putting the whistle in their right pocket. I had never done this myself and didnt really like it at first so I didnt do it.

Then I forgot my whistle in the locker room one time because I thought it was around my neck. Another time I couldnt find my whistle only to discover it already around my neck. And as I started getting more R assignments and having to runn across the court with the ball in my hand prior to the toss/tip, I didnt like also holding my lanyard with the other hand to keep it from bouncing.

So I now put my whistle in my pocket because it lets me know I have it and I don't have to hold my lanyard or worry about it bouncing around before the game. I do check for knots prior to putting in my pocket and pull it out when I get opposite the table.

Bottom line is that IMO something like this is much more about personal preference/ritual and not about big timing it or anything that should bother anyone else.