The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yes, I would. It's not a nit I'm willing to pick. If A is holding onto the ball and uses the ball to displace the defender, to me it's no different than a player using his hand/arm to push off.
This seems clear to me as well. I don't see how you can look at it any other way.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:37pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Tic-Tock.

A1 dribbling at a decent rate of speed, stops dribble, loses his balance, sticks the ball out with 2 hands (without dragging his pivot foot) in reaction to losing his balance and the ball contacts B1 who stumbles backwards as a result.

So this is a PC foul?
Yes In this instance, the ball is effectively an extension of the hand.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper68 View Post
I saw this in a 6th grade boy’s parochial league game last night. A1 gets the ball in high post. B1 has very tight legal guarding position, up tight on A1 almost touching torso to torso. B2 comes up behind and also is guarding A1. A1 takes the ball, places it in B1’s chest and pushes him away, attempts to dribble away and B2 promptly steals the ball and we are going the other way. As a 3rd year official I had not seen this yet and it happened so fast that I had no call, and B2 now has the ball. This seems to be a foul, but is it just a team control pushing foul, or is this a player control foul? I know that 4-7-2(d) states “The player with the ball may not push the torso of the guard to an advantage to pass, shoot, or dribble.”, but does it apply since A1 used the ball to push. Hind sight has me thinking that is was a player control foul, but I would like some input.

Thanks,

Those Catholics
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:02pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Nah, the first bloody nose will result in a Technical Foul, probably Flagrant.
Exactly my point. Where is the line?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

So, you are ignoring the displacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
So you're calling a pc foul for contact with the ball?
Adam, are you going to ignore the displacement just because the offensive player used the ball instead of his/her arm/hand?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Tic-Tock.

A1 dribbling at a decent rate of speed, stops dribble, loses his balance, sticks the ball out with 2 hands (without dragging his pivot foot) in reaction to losing his balance and the ball contacts B1 who stumbles backwards as a result.

So this is a PC foul?
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Yes In this instance, the ball is effectively an extension of the hand.
I've heard that as a concept before. I don't see me calling a PC foul in this situation.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tic-Tock.

So this is a PC foul?
Nope. I'm only calling a foul when a player is pushed with the ball when it is clear the offensive player was using it as an extension of their arms explicitly for the purpose of moving their opponent. Otherwise, it is nothing....I'm not treating it quite the same as other situations.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Adam, are you going to ignore the displacement just because the offensive player used the ball instead of his/her arm/hand?
I was understanding Adam's point to be whether this is a personal foul versus a technical foul...
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:16pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I think a strict reading would mean this is a technical foul, and I used to subscribe to the philosophy that this is a T or nothing.

If I were presented with this play though now, I'd go with the personal foul.
Well I had this somewhat related gem a few years ago...Flagrant or Intentional?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Nope. I'm only calling a foul when a player is pushed with the ball when it is clear the offensive player was using it as an extension of their arms explicitly for the purpose of moving their opponent. Otherwise, it is nothing....I'm not treating it quite the same as other situations.
I can live with that. But I'm thinking that if I see someone intentionally push a ball into someone with enough force to cause that person to fall back then I'll have an Unsporting T. Otherwise I would have nothing.

I want to say that years ago in a Men's Wreck League game I called a T on a player for intentionally hitting a shorter opponent on the top of the head with the ball.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I've heard that as a concept before. I don't see me calling a PC foul in this situation.
Conceivably, possibly due to poor positioning, it might be difficult to see whether the actual contact took place with the ball, the bare hand, or both.
Displacement/advantage gained seems to be the important part, in my opinion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

I want to say that years ago in a Men's Wreck League game I called a T on a player for intentionally hitting a shorter opponent on the top of the head with the ball.
I had that exact thing in the link I just posted...girl's Freshman. I went intentional but flagrant T might've been better.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 04:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Keep reading:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Yeah, I'd call it depending on the severity. I probably would have questioned myself later, but ...
Old Sat Nov 09, 2013, 06:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Legendary ??? Would Prefer Esteemed, But I'll Take Legendary ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Had a short but somewhat spirited discussion on this subject several years ago involving now legendary forum members. push with ball
I love quoting great people, here's a good one from the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

While a live ball is being held by A-1 in his/her frontcourt:

1) A-1 intentionally throws the ball at B-1's head.

2) A-1, uses the ball to push B-1, to try to gain an advantage by creating some space between himself/herself and the defender, B-1.

What are the correct calls? Personal or technical ? Common, intentional, or flagrant ? Do the calls change if A-1 is an inbounder ?
This post never got answered. Is the microphone on?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 06:56am.
Old Sat Nov 09, 2013, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While a live ball is being held by A-1 in his/her frontcourt:

1) A-1 intentionally throws the ball at B-1's head.

2) A-1, uses the ball to push B-1, to try to gain an advantage by creating some space between himself/herself and the defender, B-1.

What are the correct calls? Personal or technical ? Common, intentional, or flagrant ? Do the calls change if A-1 is an inbounder ?
Since you’re being persistent – and I’ve never been accused of acting on things quickly:

In play #1 the description pretty much tells you what to call. It’s at least an IF and quite possibly a flagrant. I don’t think going with a common foul in that case would be an option for me.

In play #2 I’d call a PC. A1 used the ball to create contact that put B1 at a disadvantage.

In either case, A1 being the thrower on an inbounds pass doesn’t make a difference in the call.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)