The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 02:51am
In Time Out

violation- tossing the ball aganist the defender

kind of a cheap play- anything illegal about it. Player dribbles, goes for a shot either in air or on the ground and seeing it will get blocked tosses the ball against the defender and then gets the ball again after it hits.

Or offensive player while holding the ball, puts the ball out in front and makes contact so the defender hand or body touches the ball. But it is clearly not enough to knock it loose and the player drops the ball then begins a new dribble. Violation? Double dribble or traveling?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
kind of a cheap play- anything illegal about it. Player dribbles, goes for a shot either in air or on the ground and seeing it will get blocked tosses the ball against the defender and then gets the ball again after it hits.

Or offensive player while holding the ball, puts the ball out in front and makes contact so the defender hand or body touches the ball. But it is clearly not enough to knock it loose and the player drops the ball then begins a new dribble. Violation? Double dribble or traveling?
A. Legal play. That is a pass which has contacted another player.

B. Illegal. Since the touching by the opponent doesn't dislodge the ball from the player's grasp. The drop constitutes the start of a second dribble.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 02:57am
In Time Out

in A. So even if there is no other offensive player nearby once the player hits the ball off the defender and goes to get the ball it is ok?

guess I can't call intentional grounding.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

And: the floor can't cause a fumble.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
in A. So even if there is no other offensive player nearby once the player hits the ball off the defender and goes to get the ball it is ok?
Of course. This is no different than the relatvely common practice of a player being trapped near a boundary line and throwing the ball off the defensive player to cause it to go out of bounds.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 11:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

guess I can't call intentional grounding.
Correct, this is not football. The proximity of a receiver has no bearing.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 12:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
A. Legal play. That is a pass which has contacted another player.
No problem with this answer because you called it a pass. Let's change it up a little. The player loses the ball, i.e. interrupted dribble, that contacts, but is not controlled by, a teammate, and "rebounds" back to the original player. Can he start another dribble?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
9-5 A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
Art 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Almost Only Counts In Horseshoes And Hand Grenades ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
9-5 A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended unless it is after he/she has lost control because of: Art 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.
Nice try. Almost got it. But let's say the interrupted dribble is caused, not by a fumble, but by the dribbler accidentally dribbling off his foot. The ball then hits a teammate, who doesn't gain control of the ball, in fact, the ball hits the teammate in the back of his leg, and then the ball rebounds back to the dribbler, who catches it with both hands. Can he start a new dribble?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 01:55am
In Time Out

I say yes once he caught it with both hands because before that the first dribble did not end.

meant to say no here, REALLY. Confusing wording but I meant that the dribble ended once he picked it up with both hands.

Last edited by mutantducky; Sun Jan 18, 2009 at 04:31am.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nice try. Almost got it. But let's say the interrupted dribble is caused, not by a fumble, but by the dribbler accidentally dribbling off his foot. The ball then hits a teammate, who doesn't gain control of the ball, in fact, the ball hits the teammate in the back of his leg, and then the ball rebounds back to the dribbler, who catches it with both hands. Can he start a new dribble?
Billy,
That would be an illegal dribble violation.

9-5 is very specific.

A. If the loss of control is due to a try for goal, then NO ONE has to touch it before that player may regain control and dribble again.

B. If the loss of control is due to a pass or fumble, then the original player may regain control and dribble again after ANY OTHER PLAYER touches or was touched by the ball.

C. If the loss of control is during a dribble, and thus becomes an interrupted dribble, then before that player may regain control and dribble again the ball must be touched by an OPPONENT.

As you may recall, the NFHS updated and changed this rule just last season to reflect the longstanding manner in which it was being called.

*Please note that the original player may always go recover a fumble or interrupted dribble without violating (a pass is different), but may not be allowed to dribble again.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Jan 18, 2009 at 07:11am.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Very nice explanation Nevada.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 11:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

"Good Night, Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are!" (Jimmy Durante) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That would be an illegal dribble violation. If the loss of control is during a dribble, and thus becomes an interrupted dribble, then before that player may regain control and dribble again the ball must be touched by an.
Thanks. That's what I figured, but I needed some logical reasoning and citations to seal the deal in my mind. I doubt that I would be able to register this in my mind, and call the illegal dribble in a fast paced game, but at least I'll get this right if it shows up on a refresher exam.