Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 10:06pm
#thereferee99

You're on a roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmsn View Post
i disagree with this. This is the t's call all the way. No r has the right to overrule a last second shot, in my opinion.
+1
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I just know that in my games I would never, ever think that I can jump in, say I disagree, then say, "I'm the R and since we disagree I'm going to overrule you."

Career ender, or at least it should be.
I could only really see this happening in a two man game where it's so obvious to everyone in attendance that the umpire missed the call..bad enough to where the R is going to come in and give him information. Then again, in a situation like that, I would hope that the other official could be convinced.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just know that in my games I would never, ever think that I can jump in, say I disagree, then say, "I'm the R and since we disagree I'm going to overrule you."

I think this was put in place to settle arguments on the court. If the R refuses to believe my information on a call like this, I will make sure to avoid him in the future. If he disagrees with a rule I give him and applies it incorrectly, then I am calling my assigner.
I'd like to think that a partner would have my back on any judgement calls, especially my R. This is an example of being big timed and not trusting your partner.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

The only time I can imagine this reasonably happening is on a turnover/transition play where the R is the lead and right with the ball, looking through the play, while the trail is a LONG way from the play and can't see through the play yets makes a decision that is clearly wrong.

I'd hope that the trail would yield to the lead on such plays as a matter of practice where only the lead has a decent look but, if they don't, the R has the rules direction to make it right.

In fact, this sort of play is part of my pregame.....trail only has the last second shot from the frontcourt when the trail has made it to the frontcourt, if it is a full court pass to a last-second shot in the frontcourt, the lead should take it.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Ahhh...The Sunday morning quarterback. We all know its easier when you can replay over and over, but when you are there, in the thick of things, its tough to judge the angles the officials had.
That said, the player in black traveled.....
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
OP Comment: I think the first play was not a travel as players were going after the ball. If anything she did not have control of the ball. Agree

The last play was a travel. The first hop step was OK, but then she hopped again and that was a travel. Where was the 2nd hop? you talking about the hop to jump up and shoot. Perfect jump stop to finish play. She did pick up pivot foot before the start of dribble (that is the travel in this play)

CIF Last Second shot: Surprised this was missed. This is why we need a last second shot on all TV games at that level. Too much at stake IMO. The lead should not be giving information on this play in my opinion.

Peace

My interpretation,
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Agreed. I thought the home player traveled stepping back for the three earlier in the game.
The step back at 1:17 ??? How?? She catches with right foot on floor and never lifts this foot. She could have jumped off of this foot and landed on 2 feet as an option.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 10:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

More like the trail (U2) waves off the shot, the Lead (U1) runs in counting the basket. The R, who has no idea either way, comes and says it was the Trails call to make and that's what we are sticking with.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 10:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
The step back at 1:17 ??? How?? She catches with right foot on floor and never lifts this foot. She could have jumped off of this foot and landed on 2 feet as an option.
Please read my follow up post.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 11:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I didn't say it should be used lightly.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
More like the trail (U2) waves off the shot, the Lead (U1) runs in counting the basket. The R, who has no idea either way, comes and says it was the Trails call to make and that's what we are sticking with.
Sure, but the problem is that this extends to a call where the R is one of the two parties.

In football, I'm the white hat and I have the rules support and the custom and practice so that I can overturn just about any decision made by a crew member. And yet it's the one "power" I just about never use. I think last season I had one situation where two other crew members disagreed and I had to mediate by asking the right questions, listening, telling the one that we're going with the other's decision, etc. It's not a pleasant situation even when I'm wearing a special hat.

In basketball, the powers granted to the R should stay away unless there's a disagreement between the two Us. If my T says it's no good and it's her responsibility, then the only way *any* official should come in is if it's so wrong that not coming in would be a travesty. And then both officials should be coming to the T anyway.

Otherwise, we start getting five second calls from halfcourt on an end line throw-in.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Forget all of the travel decisions and whether the try was released in time, there is a much bigger issue here--two of the players for the team in white in the Wisconsin game are wearing different colored headbands!
Very obvious when they are sitting next to each other on the bench during the time-out. One has red and the other has black.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

In the second play I can't figure out why they even put themselves in this situation. Why not inbound the ball from the other side of the lane and give C the last shot. It's much easier for C to get into good position to see this, especially when a long inbound pass is likely.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Forget all of the travel decisions and whether the try was released in time, there is a much bigger issue here--two of the players for the team in white in the Wisconsin game are wearing different colored headbands!
Very obvious when they are sitting next to each other on the bench during the time-out. One has red and the other has black.
Good catch on headbands! The fact the crew didn't catch this isn't surprising given what we've seen on video, what is shocking is that Iowa state big wigs who surely were in attendance and monitoring this game were asleep at the wheel. I know this wouldn't happen in Illinois and I'm sure your state too.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 09:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That wasn't in Wisconsin. The girls playoffs don't start here until tomorrow night. My 50 point blowout awaits.