The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Huntington HS state tourney run

In case anyone is interested, my company produces the state high school basketball tournaments on radio and tv in WV. You can listen to all the games on the net if you are interested. Huntington will play on Friday and "IF" they win will play on Saturday at 7:00.

The address is www.wvstatetournament.com

We have live scoring and of course the play-by-play as well. We also produce the AAA championship game live on TV. If you tune in, drop me a note here and let me know what you think of the broadcast.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Is the pot-carrying thug going to play? If so, then I'm not watching.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

I really don't think he had the pot - from what I have learned, he really was in the wrong place/wrong time. I do agree with the thug thing though.

Yes, he's playing.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Wow

Well, HHS won their 3rd title in a row - a record for AAA schools in WV. Yesterday, OJ was named the USA Today Punk errr Player of the Year. In tonight's game he put the crowning achievement on his career. With just about a minute to go and HHS up roughly 30 pts - OJ steals a pass in the open and from about half court tosses the ball to the backboard, catches it and crushes a dunk. Very nice touch and VERY pretty dunk! Then he did it - he picked up the ball and threw it into the Huntington student section! The official immediately called a T and OJ proceeded to walk around holding up three fingers for their championships.

For those keeping score at home: he bumped an official, was charged with possession - which was later dropped, and then tonight. I'm not sure how it works phonetically, but OJ USC NBA somehow spells "train wreck".

Here's an interesting question that a fellow official and I had on the way home: do you whack him for tossing the ball into the stands - or issue a delay of game warning? AND do you whack him (and possibly eject if you gave him one for the ball heave) for circling the court with his fingers raised for taunting? The coach was already taking him out of the game - but wonder what everyone here would have done.

I'm sure there's video of the dunk that will be posted eventually. Here's a link from our website about the game: http://www.wvmetronews.com/index_for...&storyid=18724

On a side-note, Chris Early - heading to Oklahoma on a bball scholarship - scored ZERO points and grabbed 3 rebounds in the game and made the all-tournament team. SHEEEEEESH!

Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 10:08pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
That's worthy of 4 FTs.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

He thinks he's bigger than the game.

That's completely unsporting and flagrant. One flagrant T would be all I would have needed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer

Well, HHS won their 3rd title in a row - a record for AAA schools in WV. Yesterday, OJ was named the USA Today Punk errr Player of the Year. In tonight's game he put the crowning achievement on his career. With just about a minute to go and HHS up roughly 30 pts - OJ steals a pass in the open and from about half court tosses the ball to the backboard, catches it and crushes a dunk. Very nice touch and VERY pretty dunk! Then he did it - he picked up the ball and threw it into the Huntington student section! The official immediately called a T and OJ proceeded to walk around holding up three fingers for their championships.
What a class act.

More kids should be like him.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

He's gone!!!
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Class ACT

I'm originally from Wheeling WV, station at Altus AFB OK. I keep up with my old high school Wheeling Central. If you what to see a class act watch them play. I know it's a different sport but they won their third state football crown this past year. After the game they did not point fingers jump up in down in the face of their opponent. What they did do is go over shake hands and picked player that were upset off the ground. Now that's a Class Act. I think Huntington can learn from a small single A school.

By the way what was he doing in the game with that little time left in the game? The coach should have the rest of his subs in they could say the played in the State Championship game. Like Charleston Catholic did against BD earlier in the day.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 11:14am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
It's certainly going to be interesting to watch OJ over the next few yrs to see who he turns out like.....Randy Moss? TO? Ron Artest? Rasheed Wallace? Tank Johnson? or, g_d help us, maybe he matures, learns from his mistakes and becomes a model citizen.

And he is one injury (Sean Livingston) away from not having any of it and having to rely on what???
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB/BBOfficial
I'm originally from Wheeling WV, station at Altus AFB OK. I keep up with my old high school Wheeling Central. If you what to see a class act watch them play. I know it's a different sport but they won their third state football crown this past year. After the game they did not point fingers jump up in down in the face of their opponent. What they did do is go over shake hands and picked player that were upset off the ground. Now that's a Class Act. I think Huntington can learn from a small single A school.

By the way what was he doing in the game with that little time left in the game? The coach should have the rest of his subs in they could say the played in the State Championship game. Like Charleston Catholic did against BD earlier in the day.
This was like the first year in the last 15 that WCC didn't make it to Charleston for BBall. I have a client whose son is the quaterback for WCC and is on the BBall team. He was no doubt disappointed. McGuffin had a sub at the table for OJ - I think they were hoping to get him on a leak-out like this. He was cherry picking for this one and it paid off for him!

Although I hate to burst your bubble, I do have a picture of WCC from LAST year's (2005) championship celebration and they are raising their finger in celebration. I see nothing wrong with that personally - as long as you don't belittle the other team. OJ strutted the court holding up 3 fingers - a little over the top for me.

Glad to see someone else from WV on here!

Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's an interesting question that a fellow official and I had on the way home: do you whack him for tossing the ball into the stands - or issue a delay of game warning? AND do you whack him (and possibly eject if you gave him one for the ball heave) for circling the court with his fingers raised for taunting? The coach was already taking him out of the game - but wonder what everyone here would have done.
Here's what I have:
1. Delay warning for interfering with the ball after a goal.
2. T for unsporting behavior for throwing the ball into the stands (possibly flagrant - I think I'd want to see it first.)
3. T for unsporting behavior for taunting the crowd by raising the 3 fingers.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 05:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB/BBOfficial
... station at Altus AFB OK...
My condolenses.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Although I hate to burst your bubble, I do have a picture of WCC from LAST year's (2005) championship celebration and they are raising their finger in celebration.
Perhaps you should re-read what he said.

"After the game they did not point fingers jump up in down in the face of their opponent."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Here's what I have:

3. T for unsporting behavior for taunting the crowd by raising the 3 fingers.
Interesting. Do you think that Illinois player should have gotten T'ed up for the muscle flex he did after that dunk after that spin-move carry that wasn't called?