View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 03, 2012, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
More like the trail (U2) waves off the shot, the Lead (U1) runs in counting the basket. The R, who has no idea either way, comes and says it was the Trails call to make and that's what we are sticking with.
Sure, but the problem is that this extends to a call where the R is one of the two parties.

In football, I'm the white hat and I have the rules support and the custom and practice so that I can overturn just about any decision made by a crew member. And yet it's the one "power" I just about never use. I think last season I had one situation where two other crew members disagreed and I had to mediate by asking the right questions, listening, telling the one that we're going with the other's decision, etc. It's not a pleasant situation even when I'm wearing a special hat.

In basketball, the powers granted to the R should stay away unless there's a disagreement between the two Us. If my T says it's no good and it's her responsibility, then the only way *any* official should come in is if it's so wrong that not coming in would be a travesty. And then both officials should be coming to the T anyway.

Otherwise, we start getting five second calls from halfcourt on an end line throw-in.