The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
First, I clearly didn't know the correct state in which the contest was played.
Thank you for the insight into what Iowa does. Obviously different from most other places. I wonder if this game started with a coin toss or a jump ball.
Lastly, I hope people understood the lack of seriousness in my initial post.
Nevada, I believe if I understood it. Everyone else got it.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 07:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

All The Way Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
With the color of the wristbands/headbands, yeah. I always enforce it but I could care less what color they have on.
Watched a few of my friends in a state tournament game last night. Two players on Green had on, what I thought were, tights. I don't know if the officials ignored it, or didn't see it, or asked, and discovered that they were actually long socks, or "sleeves", and I didn't ask. I've seen more tights this year than ever before, both on the court, and in the officials' dressing room. I wish that the NFHS would address this issue with either a rule change, or a Point of Emphasis. I don't like being a "Fashion Police" official when otherwise outstanding officials just ignore the tights, or don't know the rule. I really don't like it when I start the game with the coach thinking, "This is one of those "rulebook" guys. He can rule on equipment issues, but can he call the block/charge?".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Watched a few of my friends in a state tournament game last night. Two players on Green had on, what I thought were, tights. I don't know if the officials ignored it, or didn't see it, or asked, and discovered that they were actually long socks, or "sleeves", and I didn't ask. I've seen more tights this year than ever before, both on the court, and in the officials' dressing room. I wish that the NFHS would address this issue with either a rule change, or a Point of Emphasis. I don't like being a "Fashion Police" official when otherwise outstanding officials just ignore the tights, or don't know the rule. I really don't like it when I start the game with the coach thinking, "This is one of those "rulebook" guys. He can rule on equipment issues, but can he call the block/charge?".
My guess is NFHS and NCAA will address the tights within a year or two. The way both were so Type A - especially the NCAA - about the headbands and wristbands when those restrictions when into effect I can't see this being allowed to linger for too long.

Of course, as with everything else, it's up to use to handle it properly. In the '10-11 season I worked with HSV officials on two separate occasions who thought it was okay for players on a team wearing white jerseys with orange/black piping to wear orange undershirts because it was a school color. I thought I'd gone crazy for a minute.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
First, I clearly didn't know the correct state in which the contest was played.
Thank you for the insight into what Iowa does. Obviously different from most other places. I wonder if this game started with a coin toss or a jump ball.
Lastly, I hope people understood the lack of seriousness in my initial post.
I did see the smiley face regarding headbands, yet for a state tourney it did surprise me, and the follow up explains that colors by Alexander Julian are okey dokey in Iowa.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 11:21am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
There were 4.5 seconds left. Even if the inbound pass goes table side the C is still in better position to get a look than trail. That's why its his PCA if there is backcourt pressure. In a situation in which there is going to be an extended possession I agree there is little advantage, but with 4.5 and a long inbound pass likely I can think of few situations in which C doesn't have a clear advantage. Honestly and respectfully I don't understand how this is even debatable.
I think I would rather have the T opposite in that situation - the long inbounds pass - because then the C and the L can handle any contact, and the T has nothing to do but head up court and handle the clock/last second shot. That makes more sense to me than the C having to worry about contact, a possible violation (travel, illegal dribble), AND the clock on the last second shot. So - respectfully also - I honestly don't see the advantage that you are seeing.

Que sera, sera...
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Must I Turn In My Fashion Police Badge And Service Revolver ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I worked with HSV officials on two separate occasions who thought it was okay for players on a team wearing white jerseys with orange/black piping to wear orange undershirts because it was a school color.
My second worst mistake of this past year. I'm the umpire watching the White girls warming up. There are a few different color headbands. As they pass by me in their layup lines I tell each offender that they all have to have the same color headband on. Eventually the captain comes over to me and politely asks about legal headband colors, and the difference between headbands and hair control devices. She politely asks if they can all wear gold headbands, says that gold is a school color, and that there is gold piping on her white jersey. I tell her that the only legal headband colors for her team are white, black, beige, or the predominate color of her jersey, which is white. She explains that other officials have allowed gold headbands all season long. Not me. They all have to be the same color, white, black, or beige.

For some reason, it dawned on me a few days later that I was dead wrong. Wasn't this the old rule? Man, I hate it when they keep changing the rules on me. It's like a moving target. Now, where are my glasses?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 06, 2012 at 01:16pm.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 12:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That wasn't in Wisconsin. The girls playoffs don't start here until tomorrow night. My 50 point blowout awaits.
67-15. I was pretty close.