The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Slightly OT: Gift idea for first state tourney?

My dad just got selected for his first state tournament. Guy's 'one of the good ones' who just enjoys officiating, has loved basketball all his life, works hard, and in the last year or two had kind of resigned himself to the fact that he probably wasn't going to get that call.

I've really been hoping he'd get one. He's never officiated college ball (didn't have the desire - just loves HS hoops), and he works in a part of his state that doesn't have many officials. He travels long distances to officiate some awful games, and gets good games, too. His state is a coach-driven state, and he's never been one to 'play the games.'

I'm betting he's only got a couple years left in him, as he doesn't want to be one of those guys who can't get up and down the court anymore. Needless to say, I was ecstatic for him when he got the call. He deserves it.

So...I'd love to get him a little something. Problem is, gift-giving is one of my least creative skills. Anyone done anything cool for another official who made their first state tournament? Would love the suggestions - thanks for any you can provide.

PS While dad has never done a lick of college ball, one of the 'fun' things about this opportunity is that he'll be officiating on the college court of his favorite D-I basketball team. I can tell he thinks it's pretty cool.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:25am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Take a picture of the crew before the game. Then see about having it laminated on some type of plaque.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

I know you're probably thinking of something in advance, but on the other end, make sure you have somebody (who really knows what they're doing), take a good photo of his crew -- and if possible, a few shots of him in action.

Then, frame it/them or mount it/them on a plaque of some sort. The possibilities are endless, given today's offerings. It's likely something he will treasure and be able to glance at long after he doesn't feel like chasing 17-year-olds up and down a basketball court! (Note this has nothing to do with your father's ego. You're saying you're proud of him so no matter how self-effacing he might be, he should like and display such a gift.)

Not sure what the state would shoot or do for the officials (regarding photos, recognition, etc.) so don't leave it to chance. It's all but impossible to track these things down later (indeed, they might not even exist when it comes to some "lowly refs"), when the games are done.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

OK, so the guy who writes longer gets scooped! Great minds ...
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:32am
Do not give a damn!!

First of all, congrats to your dad for his accomplishment. Tell him to make all official's proud.

Not sure there is any one thing you can get someone for these situations that would work for everyone. When I worked the Finals I wanted family and friends to be around and that was it. Your dad might be a little different and if you want to get him something do that. Just get him something he will remember because this is such a unique accomplishment.

There really is no right or wrong answer. You could have some kind of pin or jewelry made. You could give him an autographed basketball from fellow officials or family members (guys that work the state finals in my state do this on the boy's side). You know your dad best, he probably would love anything you got him and your support at the games.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Take a picture of the crew before the game. Then see about having it laminated on some type of plaque.

Nice story JDW

+1 Absolutely! You may want to take a bunch of still shots, put it into a montage to music( easily done at Walmart for a few bucks). Regarding photo, I'd try and grab one of the many photographers at the game for a good professional shot. maybe a few 'action' photos of your dad also.

Makin' memories.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 11:11am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Find a picture of an NBA crew and Photoshop your dad into it.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Wait, this is supposed to be a highlight of his career.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

And before it goes too much further ... I just think it's great that you are thinking about this for your dad and that you realize how much he loves his avocation. That you want to recognize his accomplishment is priceless.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 11:55am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
But what if he errs and has Donaghy in the pic?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 12:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
But what if he errs and has Donaghy in the pic?

Your point?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. Great ideas, guys, and I'd love to hear any others.

I'm pretty disappointed that I'm traveling on a work project next week and won't be able to drive up and see him in action. I'm probably more excited for him than he is for himself, but I do know he's glad to be recognized for his dedication. I'm definitely going to see if we can have someone there to take some photos.

His best line when he called to tell me: "Well, the coaches must have finally decided that I wasn't going to quit until I got a state tournament, so they got together and got me one hoping it would get me to retire!"
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 12:21pm
#thereferee99

JDW, If I had a son as thoughtful as you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
My dad just got selected for his first state tournament. Guy's 'one of the good ones' who just enjoys officiating, has loved basketball all his life, works hard, and in the last year or two had kind of resigned himself to the fact that he probably wasn't going to get that call.

I've really been hoping he'd get one. He's never officiated college ball (didn't have the desire - just loves HS hoops), and he works in a part of his state that doesn't have many officials. He travels long distances to officiate some awful games, and gets good games, too. His state is a coach-driven state, and he's never been one to 'play the games.'

I'm betting he's only got a couple years left in him, as he doesn't want to be one of those guys who can't get up and down the court anymore. Needless to say, I was ecstatic for him when he got the call. He deserves it.

So...I'd love to get him a little something. Problem is, gift-giving is one of my least creative skills. Anyone done anything cool for another official who made their first state tournament? Would love the suggestions - thanks for any you can provide.

PS While dad has never done a lick of college ball, one of the 'fun' things about this opportunity is that he'll be officiating on the college court of his favorite D-I basketball team. I can tell he thinks it's pretty cool.
...ha! I'm sure my son will come through for me!

I'm not a big 'plaque on the wall' guy. I would prefer something that went with me to my future games. Bag tag, embroidered bag, clipboard/folder. Something that I could bring/use made me think of you and the honor.

That my 2 cents
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 01:19pm
M.A.S.H.

Congratulations to your Dad!

I would do the crew picture... have the other two officials autograph it for him and then frame it.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 01:44pm
In Memoriam

Speaking for most Dad's, I'd rather have a 2-seater convertible. Just a thought.....

And my congratulations to your father also. No matter what, you'll have to arrange to get a video of the game from some source.