The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Just Curious

Reading the thread responses leads me to asking this question: If you think it's a flop would you consider calling the defender for a Technical Foul?
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Reading the thread responses leads me to asking this question: If you think it's a flop would you consider calling the defender for a Technical Foul?
For a genuine flop, I'd consider it. For what many people call a flop — slight contact inducing a histrionic fall and yell — no.

Genuine flops are exceedingly rare, in my experience.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
For a genuine flop, I'd consider it. For what many people call a flop — slight contact inducing a histrionic fall and yell — no.

How do you differentiate between a "genuine flop" and what you describe above? Would a genuine flop be no contact as opposed to slight contact?
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo2526 View Post
No real reason for posting this other than to see if I'm the one that's crazy.

This was called a charge. By the official at the other end of the court? No call by the guy right beside it?

Isn't it illegal to flop?

Ha! - YouTube
This is not a foul. It is marginal contact with the defender flopping to try and draw a charge.

The main issue I have is that the play is a secondary defender at the basket - IN TRANSITION. The trail has no business blowing a whistle on this play. Trust your lead to officiate this play.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdudik View Post
How do you differentiate between a "genuine flop" and what you describe above? Would a genuine flop be no contact as opposed to slight contact?
Experience. Anticipating and bracing for contact (by leaning backwards to soften the blow) are allowed. Often, though, those actions minimize contact enough to make it incidental.

Faking being fouled is different, and needs to be obvious.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Experience. Anticipating and bracing for contact (by leaning backwards to soften the blow) are allowed. Often, though, those actions minimize contact enough to make it incidental.

Fair enough.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Agreed in full.

Now, In our state a common mantra of the State supervisors is "there has to be a whistle EVERY time bodies hit the floor". What is the right thing to do when the B1 anticipates contact, A1 pulls up and shoots staying within his verticality but B1 being barely touched, falls to the floor? Compounded by A1 missing the shot and you now have rebounding action with a player on the floor endangering himself and others?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

I haven't called one..........yet.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 03:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Agreed in full.

Now, In our state a common mantra of the State supervisors is "there has to be a whistle EVERY time bodies hit the floor". What is the right thing to do when the B1 anticipates contact, A1 pulls up and shoots staying within his verticality but B1 being barely touched, falls to the floor? Compounded by A1 missing the shot and you now have rebounding action with a player on the floor endangering himself and others?
I hate that mantra. My goal is to be able to explain every time someone hits the floor. Shooter tries to splits defenders and trips, I'm not blowing my whistle.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 03:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Agreed in full.

Your state supervisors are idiots.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 09:11pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Your state supervisors are idiots.

Rich:

I like your thinking.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I watched this play six times.

1) This was the L calls all of the way and that who made the call.

2) CHARGE!!!

MTD, Sr.

P.S. You were talking about the charge at the beginning of the video, weren't you, ?
I have no idea what you are talking about @ the beginning as well as how you could say this was a charge?

Maybe you were joking, no idea
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo2526 View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about @ the beginning as well as how you could say this was a charge?

Maybe you were joking, no idea
Read his PS.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Read his PS.
I did and I was still lost. I'm slow I guess.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:47am
This IS My Social Life

Long Article for Peer Review on the Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
. . . If you think it's a flop would you consider calling the defender for a Technical Foul?
“Faking being Fouled” – When a Technical Really Needs to be Called
Have you ever had a player guilty of “faking being fouled”? Have you ever had a player “flop” with all the acting abilities of a broadway superstar? No illegal contact has taken place, yet a dramatic fall to the floor is theatrically executed? Defensive player sets up for a charge but, when the dribbler pulls up for a jumper instead, he falls backwards, acting as if he was fouled when he really wasn’t? Perhaps slight contact does occur on a play, but the player reacts as if hit in the chest by a cannon, begging for an illegitimate call?
Rule 10-3-6f clearly states that “faking being fouled” merits the issuance of a player technical foul. But is that the first choice in the official’s repertoire? Probably not.
This begs the question, under what circumstances and when should you for sure call a player technical for “faking being fouled”? Are there any other tactics to employ short of whacking him/her with a T? When might you have no choice?
Often the player illegitimately hitting the deck does so but takes himself out of the play for ensuing rebounding action or for participation in a transition the other way. In that case, he’s really penalized him/herself through the resulting inability to benefit his team on the following play. Here’s a situation where you may want to warn the player about his attempt to get a call in a deceiving fashion. That often solves the situation. Then again, the coach will probably also yell at the player to play better defense, which curbs a future similar incident of “faking being fouled.”
Other times, you may have warned a player to “knock it off”, but he/she doesn’t get the message and does it again. Any warning followed by non-compliance renders your warning step ineffective. Don’t give a T in this situation and you broadcast the message that you don’t really mean it when you issue a warning. Whack ‘em.
If a member of your crew has issued a warning on one end, be sure to be consistent and issue a warning at the other end if it occurs. You don’t want to whip out a T immediately on the other end after merely warning on the first occurrence by the other team.
What if you’ve warned both teams and yet a “faking being fouled” incident occurs in spite of that? Issue the player technical. They didn’t heed the warning, and that’s the only way the message will have any teeth.
Yet again, there might be a real issue of safety involved that means you’d serve the game best by calling a T the first time the “faking being fouled” happens. That’s when the player, though not fouled, or merely contacted to an insignificant extent, takes a dive and poses a danger to other players in the immediate area of the ensuing action. This happens. A player lobbies for a charge right in the middle of the lane, and after he goes down, players trip all over him in the rebounding action that follows the shot. That’s a safety issue. His/her actions posed a real threat to the welfare of the other players, even some of his/her own teammates. Then the issuance of a player technical wouldn’t be out of place. You have an expressed responsibility to protect all players from unnecessary risk of injury. Whack him/her. It probably won’t happen again the rest of the game.
Another situation might happen on a three-point attempt. It is very common for the defender to box out the shooter after the shot has been released. Sometimes the box out is really displacement, and the shooter hits the floor either before or after returning to the floor. When that happens, displacement must be called. But what if the shooter strategizes “faking being fouled”? No unreasonable illegal contact has occurred, but, begging for a foul, the player jumps backward, hits the floor, and complains (along with his/her coach) over the feigned contact? Decision time on your part. Effectively, the player has taken him/herself out of the ensuing play. Is that penalty enough? Quite possibly. If it happens over and over again, that’s against the spirit of the rules of the game. That’s deception. That’s not right. Especially if the coach has been made aware of a previous warning given, the player technical you feel is merited will not receive much protest. Some things just have to be.
“Faking being fouled” can be ignored, as when it’s an isolated incident. A warning can be due a single player or perhaps a team. It’s even possible that, with both teams trying the tactic, a warning be given to all players of both teams. But there are times when it can’t be ignored. And when it can’t, the rules give you a tool to use. Rule 10-3-6f.

Last edited by Freddy; Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 11:52am.