The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 02:00pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Fair enough. I think this though does become a bit of a circular definition as anyone the team permits on the court during warm ups is therefore affiliated with the team and thus bench personnel.
I define it a little tighter than that, to players, coaches, managers, and staff of THAT game. If you're playing in the next game, then you'll need to get off the court when the proper teams are practicing. You're not a part of that team.

The simple fact that we would speak with the coaches about that dunker -- and clearing up who he is -- should be incentive enough to keep him off the court. Nobody wants that conversation.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I define it a little tighter than that, to players, coaches, managers, and staff of THAT game. If you're playing in the next game, then you'll need to get off the court when the proper teams are practicing. You're not a part of that team.

The simple fact that we would speak with the coaches about that dunker -- and clearing up who he is -- should be incentive enough to keep him off the court. Nobody wants that conversation.
I sympathize with that, but see my last post for my state's interpretation: varsity players can warm up with the JV and are bench personnel.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Good rules discussion on both sides of the issue...

Personally...I would like to see dunking allowed, while we watch warm-ups. It might make the "worst 15 minutes of basketball" a little easier to take.

BUT...since we have been told "no dunking allowed" in warm-ups...we do not allow it. (Presumably, in this part of Rome, the dunking "shows up" the officials) shrug:

Sooooo...whack the kid, that's in uniform dunking, and be done with it.

...IMHO.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 02:04pm
Esteemed Participant

If the kid is a member of the varsity team and is out there warming up then he is affiliated with the jv team and is therefore bench personnel. If he is in the team warmups the same as the other players, then he is a team member. So if he dunks, call the T.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
if the kid is a member of the varsity team and is out there warming up then he is affiliated with the jv team and is therefore bench personnel. If he is in the team warmups the same as the other players, then he is a team member. So if he dunks, call the t.
+1
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
If the kid is a member of the varsity team and is out there warming up then he is affiliated with the jv team and is therefore bench personnel. If he is in the team warmups the same as the other players, then he is a team member. So if he dunks, call the T.
That is not supported by the NFHS rules book.
If the state office makes a specific interpretation, then that is what should be done, but that isn't what the NFHS rule is.
The NFHS rules are written for VARSITY contests (It says so right in the front of the book.) and apply only for single games. There is no carry-over from game to game or one level of play to another under NFHS rules. That is left to the states and local leagues.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 07:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If the state office makes a specific interpretation, then that is what should be done, but that isn't what the NFHS rule is.
The NFHS rules are written for VARSITY contests (It says so right in the front of the book.) and apply only for single games. There is no carry-over from game to game or one level of play to another under NFHS rules. That is left to the states and local leagues.
"Written for varsity contests" isn't relevant as far as I can see, unless you're suggesting subvarsity games should use a different rule set or something.

No carry over, however, bolsters the idea that I can consider any player participating with thr team in their drills to be a player.

NFHS has determined pregame dunks are unsporting, why let them dance around the rule this way?
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:02pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It most certainly is...check the definitions of player, etc - I think it's 4-34.

As far as something carrying over, I have no idea what you are talking about. Once that kid got in the warmup line dressed like everyone else, he became a member of that team. If he dunks, T him.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Varsity Players ‘warming up’ with JV Players at Pre-Game & Halftime? Consider this….
It happens everywhere more and more. Varsity players get out and warm-up with JV players. But consider this; when they do so, there is no distinguishing between a JV player and a varsity player. If the officials are on the floor, they have jurisdiction. So when that Varsity player wants to demonstrate his jumping ability and dunk….it is a “T” just like any other time. Might ‘seem’ farfetched at first, but nearly EVERY coach agrees the integrity of the game needs to be protected. It starts with simple enforcement of regular adopted game rules
I like it and it's exactly the way I would handle it.

I guess those who wouldn't assess the T would allow the entire varsity team to take the floor and dunk to their hearts content without penalty. i mean, if it's not illegal, then there's no rule available to stop them from doing it.

As for players not being allowed to dunk in pre-game, it's a safety issue. in warm-ups, you're going to have kids trying to dunk who can't dunk. A kid who can barely touch the rim is more subject to falling and getting injured than a 6'8" player. Also, there's the risk of damaging equipment. It's legal during the game, so if some damage occurs, it's something that happens. But do school systems really want to spend $$ replacing a backboard because some knucklehead was showing off in warmups? I don't think so.

As for the coach sitting, he's responsible for bench personnel. I don't see why that's difficult to understand.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 08:22pm.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If a kid sitting on the bench pops off, we don't allow the coach to get out of it by saying he's a varsity player not playing in this game. Why should warm up drills be any different?
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

I would T a player who is warming up with the team and looks like he belongs to the team. I would not T a player who just comes on the court, dunks and leaves.

I would tell the coach to keep his varsity kids off the court. Warming up with the players and coming on the court just to dunk and leave are 2 different things IMO.

The issue I would also see is since this is also a player tech we would have to add the player to the book which could have eligibility issues etc.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
First what's wrong with dunking in warm ups?
I'll flip it around, what's right with dunking in warm ups?
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

ok, here's one

around here there is a group of schools that has a competition for pizza slices. students pay a buck and get to shoot from half court, everyone who makes gets a slice, this takes place for nearly 8 minutes until teams return to floor

suppose varsity players are involved but since anyone can participate you cant tell who is from which team and who are players instead of fans

now suppose a clown decides to dunk

how do you differentiate who is player, what team, if any and try to enforce the notion of if they are on the floor during halftime they are affiliated with a specific team
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
ok, here's one

around here there is a group of schools that has a competition for pizza slices. students pay a buck and get to shoot from half court, everyone who makes gets a slice, this takes place for nearly 8 minutes until teams return to floor

suppose varsity players are involved but since anyone can participate you cant tell who is from which team and who are players instead of fans

now suppose a clown decides to dunk

how do you differentiate who is player, what team, if any and try to enforce the notion of if they are on the floor during halftime they are affiliated with a specific team
First, this is apples to oranges. This is not a team warming up prior to the game or at halftime.

But to humor you, the answer is easy. We don't take the floor until the teams return. So we won't be on the floor during the halftime fan activity.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

It is not our job sort out who is on the team. By allowing him to participate in the activities, the team/coach has made that decision for us. Being on the floor warming up with the team, he is participating and will get a T.

Now the only question that remains is whether to add them to the book as a squad member or just penalize him as bench personnel. If the former, you might also have an administrative T for changing the book. (I suggest the latter)