The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

What if a team member's older brother, who is now in college, comes onto the court during the pre-game warm-ups and decides to show him how to dunk better? Let's say that he borrowed a team warm-up suit. He is not an assistant coach and not going to sit on the bench during the game.

PS
What if a injured player's mom comes onto the court takes the ball and dunks it?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 02:10am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What if a team member's older brother, who is now in college, comes onto the court during the pre-game warm-ups and decides to show him how to dunk better? Let's say that he borrowed a team warm-up suit. He is not an assistant coach and not going to sit on the bench during the game.

Keep giving examples. No matter who it is, if he is dressed like the team, and warming up with the team, he is affiliated with the team, and is subject to being penalized for his actions.

You're saying him sitting on the bench would make a difference? On the bench is an affiliation, but warming up with the team is not?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

PS
What if a injured player's mom comes onto the court takes the ball and dunks it?
It's as easy as "Whack!"
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

Just like anyone on the bench is subject to sportsmanship rules and is under the responsibility of the coach, anyone participating with warmups is also under the responsibility of the coach.

If that were not the case, someone actually on the team could dunk and the coach could then say the offending party was not on the team but a guest, on a different team, or even a stranger....and you'd be left with nothing you could do even if they were going to be a player.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 04:24am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Just like anyone on the bench is subject to sportsmanship rules and is under the responsibility of the coach, anyone participating with warmups is also under the responsibility of the coach.

If that were not the case, someone actually on the team could dunk and the coach could would then say the offending party was not on the team but a guest, on a different team, or even a stranger....and you'd be left with nothing you could do even if they were going to be a player.
fify

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

PS
By not chasing him off the court, the team is permitting him to join their warm-up which makes him affiliated with the team which is the very definition of bench personnel. There is no actual requirement of sitting on the bench during the game.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 11:56am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
There is no actual requirement of sitting on the bench during the game.
That's a real slippery slope if you want to use that as a basis for argument.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Don't tell me that. I didn't write the definition.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 11:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The rules are full of slippery slopes. The key is not slipping.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
ok, here's one

around here there is a group of schools that has a competition for pizza slices. students pay a buck and get to shoot from half court, everyone who makes gets a slice, this takes place for nearly 8 minutes until teams return to floor

suppose varsity players are involved but since anyone can participate you cant tell who is from which team and who are players instead of fans

now suppose a clown decides to dunk

how do you differentiate who is player, what team, if any and try to enforce the notion of if they are on the floor during halftime they are affiliated with a specific team
This is a good discussion. I'd rule here that the halftime "exhibition" is not a part of the warm-ups, so no penalty.
However, if the JV team is engaged in pre-game warm ups and a varsity player joins them, I'd rule him as a member of that squad, and take care of business as needed.
I am very wary of calling pre game technicals, however, and would only do so if it was obviously egregious.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Keep giving examples. No matter who it is, if he is dressed like the team, and warming up with the team, he is affiliated with the team, and is subject to being penalized for his actions.

You're saying him sitting on the bench would make a difference? On the bench is an affiliation, but warming up with the team is not?
Since only team members are listed in the scorebook, I put the part about will not be sitting on the bench to make it clear that he is not an asst coach, a manager, a stat person, a trainer, etc. with the team.

I can't believe that people are actually saying that a VARSITY team member who is on the court during the JV warm-ups should be considered part of the JV team! Those who are writing that are actually stating that the kid is part of another team, yet still want to include him with the team currently contesting the game. That is absurd. If you know that he is on the Varsity team, then how can you consider him to be part of the JV squad?

The kid is either on the Varsity team or the JV team. If your state allows him to play in both, then I can see this side of the argument. However, barring such a provision, the kid should be treated as a spectator and removed from the floor without penalty to the team participating in the game.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 04:08am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

The kid is either on the Varsity team or the JV team. If your state allows him to play in both, then I can see this side of the argument. However, barring such a provision, the kid should be treated as a spectator and removed from the floor without penalty to the team participating in the game.
My state does allow him to play in both.

But what about the language? .....individuals who are part of or affiliated with a team, including, but not limited to...........etc.

Sounds like a green light to T anybody who is doing something he shouldn't be doing.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 04:12am.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
If the kid is a member of the varsity team and is out there warming up then he is affiliated with the jv team and is therefore bench personnel. If he is in the team warmups the same as the other players, then he is a team member. So if he dunks, call the T.

I disagree.

Per 10-3-3 dunking a dead ball is a PLAYER technical. Who are you gonna charge the foul too?
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 08:13am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

What is the call if a player allow himself to be used as a step for this teammate to dunk? Yes, it's during the game.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 08:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

One, Or Two, Technical Fouls ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
What is the call if a player allow himself to be used as a step for this teammate to dunk? Yes, it's during the game.
Just let me whip out my old rule book (I watched Blazing Saddles on AMC last week).

10-3-6-E: A player shall not: Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height.

Now, who is charged with the technical foul, the climber, or the climbee, or both?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 08:32am.