The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Pregame Dunk

I was the R for a mid-level Boys Varsity game last night. As I'm at the table going over the book there's some slight crowd noise behind me so I turn around and there's nothing going on. Partner is in position and watching players. I go back to finish up with table and the crowd makes some more noise, once again I turn around and there's nothing. Partner is watching players and in position.
So before tipoff I ask partner about the noise. A player from both teams had a minor dunk off apparently. I asked partner how we were gonna handle the T's. Partner then went into the whole spiel about not starting the game off that way, blah,blah, blah. We discussed it and he basically wasn't going to give the T's. We left it at that.

My questions are could I have penalized the dunks even though I didn't see them ?

Have you guys and gals ever enforced this rule ? Or would this fall into the OOO realm of things ?

PS. As a side note partner had big concerns about kid hanging on the rim on a alley oop slam dunk with about 5 players under the rim,bodies falling, type of play..

PPS Its cool that I'm starting to get games like this ,where kids alley oop and stuff like that....
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
x
My questions are could I have penalized the dunks even though I didn't see them ?

Yes...if you're partner had reported them to you.

Quote:
x

Have you guys and gals ever enforced this rule ? Or would this fall into the OOO realm of things ?
Yes, twice in one season 2 years ago. I was the CC of a 3-man for one of them. When I notified the coaches the offending coach say I had the power to waive the loss of his coaching box while the offended coaching staff commented "we wondered if you guys were going to call that".
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Its hard to penalize what you dont see but partner should have done so or at least talked to the players and teams.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post
Its hard to penalize what you dont see but partner should have done so or at least talked to the players and teams.
There's no "or at least" on this. Partner should have called the Ts. Without him, though, you don't know who did it, so you really can't call it.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Partner then went into the whole spiel about not starting the game off that way, blah,blah, blah. We discussed it and he basically wasn't going to give the T's. We left it at that.
Did you set aside any other rules that night?
Traveling - Illegal dribble -let the coaches wander onto the floor and talk to players while there was a live ball - Possibly even goaltending or basket interference?

Did you think about losing a game or getting fined for not making the call, One thing an assignor or observer can defend is a 50 - 50 call or something that is judgment, what can NEVER EVER happen is blowing a rule -
Your partner Kicked or set asside a rule and that will always get you in trouble.
That is how you lose games like this, what if someone happened to send the assignor the game tape or even worse the assignor was there?
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There's no "or at least" on this. Partner should have called the Ts. Without him, though, you don't know who did it, so you really can't call it.
Agreed. But, until I read your comment I had in my mind that the OP was a "maybe" dunk, and I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the partner. Perhaps that what Ceaser's Ghost thought, too.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 11:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Agreed. But, until I read your comment I had in my mind that the OP was a "maybe" dunk, and I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the partner. Perhaps that what Ceaser's Ghost thought, too.
Maybe, but when I read "minor dunk off" I'm thinking of a short contest rather than a "maybe" dunk.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 12:05pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Maybe, but when I read "minor dunk off" I'm thinking of a short contest rather than a "maybe" dunk.
Gotta go with the short jokes agian, dontcha...

Actually, I was thinking that they were all under the age of 18.

Not much you can do if you didn't see it and partner decides he didn't 'see" it either...I would let the assignor know though, so it doesn't come back to bite you in the butt.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Did you set aside any other rules that night?
Traveling - Illegal dribble -let the coaches wander onto the floor and talk to players while there was a live ball - Possibly even goaltending or basket interference?
I kicked it big time -

Hmmmmmmmmm........ BTW, hyperbole much?
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You're thinking would be accurate.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 08:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

After That, The Coach Is Going To Get A Great Seat For The Game ...

If its a single, "Maybe Dunk", or a ,"Minor Dunk", I'm telling the kids to stay off the rim. First, only, and last, warning. Period.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 02, 2008 at 09:03pm.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 08:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If its a, "Maybe Dunk", or a ,"Minor Dunk", I'm telling the kids to stay off the rim. First, only, and last, warning. Period.
If it's a minor dunking contest between the teams, call them both and you have two seat-belted coaches. Sounds like heaven to me.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Yea...just call two "minor" T's.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Your partner Kicked or set asside a rule and that will always get you in trouble.
That is how you lose games like this, what if someone happened to send the assignor the game tape or even worse the assignor was there?
I agree.

Chess Ref,
If you had wanted to, could you have learned which team members did the dunking without too much trouble? I'm sure that you could have.

Therefore, I think that you should have taken the necessary steps to penalize the acts. You know that was the right thing to do or you wouldn't have even posted this thread.

Congrats on moving up the ladder, buddy. Now kick it into gear and take charge. That is how you stay there.

Assignors aren't looking for U2s.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Assignors aren't looking for U2s.
Oooh. I'm gonna steal that!