Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 08:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Seems Like Overkill ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
I disagree. Per 10-3-3 dunking a dead ball is a PLAYER technical. Who are you gonna charge the foul too?
Charge the technical foul and then, if it's after the ten minute limit, charge a second technical foul for adding his name to the team roster? Man, that will get the game off to a good start.

For the simple reason of this "double jeopardy" overkill, I'm not charging a technical foul for pregame dunking if a person, not listed as a team member on the team roster for that specific game, dunks the ball. Just my opinion.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 03:48pm.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Charge the technical foul and then, if it's after the ten minute limit, charge a second technical foul for adding his name to the team roster? Man, that will get the game off to a good start.

For the simple reason of this "double jeopardy" overkill, I'm not charging a technical foul for pregame dunking if a person, not listed as a player on the team roster for that specific game, dunks the ball. Just my opinion.
I agree with your approach. But it brings to mind a slightly different OP. During warmups, a uniformed person dunks the ball. When you go to T him up, you realize that the coach did not write his number on the roster. The coach claims a) he wasn't going to let him play due to grades but he was going to let him warm up b) he is a team player, but since he forgot to list him if he just doesn't play him can he avoid two technical foul c) he is not a team player and he doesn't know how he got a uniform.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 02:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not In My Game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
The coach did not write his number on the roster. The coach claims a) he wasn't going to let him play due to grades but he was going to let him warm up b) he is a team player, but since he forgot to list him if he just doesn't play him can he avoid two technical foul.
If person can't warm up wearing jewelry, then I'm not going to let a person, who is not listed on the roster, warm up either. If he wants to add him to the book, fine, two technicals, one for dunking, and one for the book change. If he doesn't want to add him to the book, that's fine too, but he's not going to be warming up with the team members who are actually on the roster.

Citations: Common sense. 2-3. Purpose and intent. No such shenanigans in my game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 03:02pm.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 02:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Go Directly To Jail ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
He is not a team player and he doesn't know how he got a uniform.
Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Go directly to the site director. That's why they get paid the big bucks.

Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If person can't warm up wearing jewelry, then I'm not going to let a person, who is not listed on the roster, warm up either. If he wants to add him to the book, fine, two technicals, one for dunking, and one for the book change. If he doesn't want to add him to the book, that's fine too, but he's not going to be warming up with the team members who are actually on the roster.

Citations: Common sense. 2-3. Purpose and intent. No such shenanigans in my game.
Until the 10 minute mark, how do you know who is on the roster? Or do you not let a team warm up until they've submitted their rosters?
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 04:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Common Sense ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Until the 10 minute mark, how do you know who is on the roster? Or do you not let a team warm up until they've submitted their rosters?
Me: "Coach. I've got a technical foul charged to White 33 for dunking during the pregame warmup period so we'll be starting the game with some free throws for Red".

Coach: "33? He's not even on the varsity team. He's a junior varsity player. He doesn't even belong out there. His name won't be in the book".

Me: "OK coach. No technical foul. Now will you please get him off the court?"

Coach: "No problem Mr. BillyMac. And, by the way, some hot, single, Moms have told me that you look particularly handsome tonight, and they've asked me to get your phone number for them".

Me; "Just tell all of them to wait outside the locker room after the game. I'll pick the hottest one to buy me dinner tonight. Any good steak restaurants around here?"

Yep. That's the way it would go in my game.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 07:01pm.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Me: "Coach. I've got a technical foul charged to White 33 for dunking during the pregame warmup period so we'll be starting the game with some free throws for Red".

Coach: "33? He's not even on the varsity team. He's a junior varsity player. He doesn't even belong out there. His name won't be in the book".

Me: "OK coach. No technical foul. Now will you please get him off the court?"

Coach: "No problem Mr. Billy Mac. And, by the way, some hot, single, Moms have told me that you look particularly handsome tonight, and they've asked me to get your phone number for them".

Me; "Just tell all of them to wait outside the locker to after the game. I'll pick the hottest one to buy me dinner tonight".

Yep. That's the way it would go in my game.
Do you normally believe the coach when he says his player didn't do it?
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 06:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Deserts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Do you normally believe the coach when he says his player didn't do it?
In this case, yes. If he really was a varsity player, then by lying to avoid a technical foul, he's giving up the possibility of using that player, with the jumping ability to dunk, in the game.

I'm pleased that the only statement in my post that you found implausible was that I would believe that the coach wasn't lying. It's looks like you believed that the rest of my post was very plausible. Thanks. Appreciate it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 07:01pm.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 07:24pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
In this case, yes. If he really was a varsity player, then by lying to avoid a technical foul, he's giving up the possibility of using that player, with the jumping ability to dunk, in the game.

I'm pleased that the only statement in my post that you found implausible was that I would believe that the coach wasn't lying. It's looks like you believed that the rest of my post was very plausible. Thanks. Appreciate it.
I believe the original situation was a V player dunking during the JV warmups... but that really doesn't matter. The conversation should go:

"Coach, we have a T on 33 for dunking during the warmups."

"What? 33 isn't even on my team. He's a Varsity player."

"Sounds like you have some things to deal with Coach. We will be starting the game with 2 free throws."
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 11:54pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
"Sounds like you have some things to deal with Coach. We will be starting the game with 2 free throws."
And you're charging the technical foul to....?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 12:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

So, this same player, in pregame while warming up with his JV buddies, sees you walk on the court. He's seen you before, so responds by saying to his teammates, "We're Fu@ked, this guy hates us."

Your call?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 12:17am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
And you're charging the technical foul to....?
The "bench" if I have to...

So the other Coach says: "Hey ref, why are we not starting this half with two free throws for that kid dunking.'

"Well Coach, you see, it seems that that kid is a Varsity player and since this is only the JV game I can't T him."

Really???
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 12:28am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
"Well Coach, you see, it seems that that kid is a Varsity player and since this is only the JV game I can't T him."

Really???
"He's not playing in this game, Coach. I reported it to game management, and they're taking care of it."
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 12:38am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
"He's not playing in this game, Coach. I reported it to game management, and they're taking care of it."
"How many other fouls are you going to pass over to game management tonight?"
Old Sun Jan 22, 2012, 01:00am
Back from the DL

He's NOT IN THE GAME.

Again, you can invoke 2-8-1 if you'd like, and charge a team (not bench) technical foul, but I'm not going that route.