The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 02:10pm
Ok is the new good

Disconcerting

Had a coach moan a couple of times in a game on Thursday when his guy had the ball shooting free throws, the opp on the lane were communicating to each other "I got Shooter".

He was asking for a disconcert call... (I called nothing)

You say what on this?

Thanks and Merry Xmas!
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Hands up or Down

If I feel it needs to be address, then on the next free throw, before I bounce the ball to the shooter, I say Hands up or Hands down. No talking when the shooter has the ball.
I also hate when the coach of the non-shooting team yells "Rebound" when it is the 1st throw of a multiple free throw attempt.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 02:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

It really depends on the situation. I would watch when they say those things. Are they waiting until the shooter is about to shoot or when they are clearly going through their routine. But as said if you have a problem with it or think it is suspect, tell the players to "knock it off" before the shooter gets the ball.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 02:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Ain't Rocket Surgery ???

If something disconcerts the shooter, then, by all means, call a disconcertion violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 02:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Had a coach moan a couple of times in a game on Thursday when his guy had the ball shooting free throws, the opp on the lane were communicating to each other "I got Shooter".

You say what on this?

Thanks and Merry Xmas!
As Rut noted, if they're saying it just as the shooter is about to shoot, tell them to knock it off. If they do it after that, ding 'em.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

You say what on this?

Thanks and Merry Xmas!
Get read to administer the FT. Stop. Pause for effect. Pointedly ask the defnese -- "Everybody know who's got the shooter?" When they respond in the affirmative, add "Good -- then there's no need to disconcert" -- yes, use that word.

They'll get the message, or else they'll hear the whistle.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 07:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

They'll Certainly See The Fist ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
They'll get the message, or else they'll hear the whistle.
Unless the free throw is successful.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Do you think he was doing it to disconcert the shooter? If so, I would address it with the kid. Just tell him to stop talking once the shooter has the ball. This hopefully helps the game and also shows the coach you will listen.

I do think if you call this it has to be obvious to everyone in the gym.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 05:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Do you think he was doing it to disconcert the shooter? If so, I would address it with the kid. Just tell him to stop talking once the shooter has the ball. This hopefully helps the game and also shows the coach you will listen.

I do think if you call this it has to be obvious to everyone in the gym.
He doesn't have to attempt to disconcert in order to actually do it, and I disagree that it has to be obvious to everyone. Too many don't know this rule to worry about it, and the players can often do this in a way that's just loud enough to be heard on the court.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed... the situation I see is that you bounce the ball to the shooter and at the last minute, one of the defensive players sticks their hands up. Usually, by addressing this it ends further activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
He doesn't have to attempt to disconcert in order to actually do it, and I disagree that it has to be obvious to everyone. Too many don't know this rule to worry about it, and the players can often do this in a way that's just loud enough to be heard on the court.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 05:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Agreed... the situation I see is that you bounce the ball to the shooter and at the last minute, one of the defensive players sticks their hands up. Usually, by addressing this it ends further activity.
Yep, when it's obvious to me that they're disconcerting, I might address it is bob suggests. Or, I might just call the violation; depends on how much trouble they've been giving me during the game.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Has anyone ever heard of or called disconcertion on the opponent's bench?
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
I've heard of it, but it's not correct procedure. Disconcertion is defined in terms of 'opponents', which is a term not defined in rule 4; however, every usage in the rules makes it clear that the term refers to players on the floor, not bench personnel.

If you feel it's over the line, warn the head coach and then whack him if it continues.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I've heard of it, but it's not correct procedure. Disconcertion is defined in terms of 'opponents', which is a term not defined in rule 4; however, every usage in the rules makes it clear that the term refers to players on the floor, not bench personnel.

If you feel it's over the line, warn the head coach and then whack him if it continues.
It has been debated that, in rule 9, the term "players" refers to the 10 on the court at the time. When the term "opponent" (9-1-3C) is used, it refers to the 5 on the court as well as bench personnel. Is there a definitive NFHS position or is it the infamous "when in Rome ..." ?
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Noah Webster Used To Live Right Down The Street From Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Sorry. I'm going to have to disagree with you on this "pardner". Opponents include bench personnel, including the coaches. I can't find any specific citation in regard to this, but I did find these references to "opponents" in the NFHS rulebook:

2011-12 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1. SPORTING BEHAVIOR. The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee continues to be concerned about the following behaviors:
A. Pregame Situations. Teams entering the gymnasium prior to the contest should not run through the area occupied by the opposing team or under the basket where opponents are warming up.

NFHS Common Symptoms of Concussion Include: Unsure of game, score or opponent.

NFHS Coaches Code of Ethics: The coach shall not scout opponents by any means other than those adopted by the league and/or state high school athletic association.

The citations above are, granted, quite weak, and kind of lame. So let's go to the dictionary:

Opponent (Noun): a person who is on an opposing side in a game, contest, controversy, or the like; adversary.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 07:46pm.