The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Disconcerting Thrower

Had a situation in a game last night: A1 shooting free throws, and B1 in the lane claps and says "I got shooter, I got shooter" just as he throws.

Rule 9.1.5 says: "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower." I'm taking "disconcert" to be a "success term": the opponent has failed to disconcert if the free throw is good.

As it happened, the player (B1) did this twice, and the shooters made both shots. I signaled "delayed dead," but did not blow the whistle after the shot went in. I warned my partner, but said nothing to the player.

Question: did I handle this correctly?

I thought about warning the player, but maybe getting called for the violation would make a bigger impression. Frosh boys game, if that makes a difference.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I'm a talker to players during games.

If I am administering the free throw, I would walk up to the player. bring the ball to my mouth to have a conspiratorial tone to my voice and tell him to knock it off, that his coach wouldn't like it if the shooter got another chance.

If I am the trail, I probably wouldn't get involved as that is more my partners area of responsibility.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 09:23am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Had a situation in a game last night: A1 shooting free throws, and B1 in the lane claps and says "I got shooter, I got shooter" just as he throws.

Rule 9.1.5 says: "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower." I'm taking "disconcert" to be a "success term": the opponent has failed to disconcert if the free throw is good.

As it happened, the player (B1) did this twice, and the shooters made both shots. I signaled "delayed dead," but did not blow the whistle after the shot went in. I warned my partner, but said nothing to the player.

Question: did I handle this correctly?

I thought about warning the player, but maybe getting called for the violation would make a bigger impression. Frosh boys game, if that makes a difference.
Yes, your delayed lane violation was correct. I probably wouldn't warn the player either.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

I don't have a problem with the way you handled it. Personally I would have talked to the player, but that's just me. Nice job.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I usually tell everyone quiet on the set before I even release the ball to the thrower. I usually get a ton of laughs behind it, but they understand. If they keep talking and the thrower misses the shot, then award him another one. They will get the picture either way.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I usually tell everyone quiet on the set before I even release the ball to the thrower.
Are you saying that you don't allow anyone on the lane to even talk during a FT? I think there is certainly a difference between talking and disconcertion. If someone was talking to or at the FT shooter then yes. But talking across the lane and working out strategy or encouraging a teammate unless it is blatantly an attempt at disconcertion is nothing (nothing being said and just as shooter starts motion would be blatant). It turns out most players are quiet, but a quick I've got 32 or let's get this rebound is something I've heard over time.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

You can tell, by using your judgement, when its a legitmate communication and when its an attempt to disconcert the shooter. Timing, inflection, volume.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Personally I would have talked to the player, but that's just me. Nice job.
Me too........
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Me too........
Me three..... I had a situation in a JV game a couple weeks ago. Small crowd and the defender in the top spot was chattering loudly with somebody in the stands. It was a blatantly obvious attempt to disconcert the shooter. Next dead ball I talked to him. Next free throw, the guy in the stands starts up again, and the defender gives him the old finger-over-the-lips shush sign. Solved the problem without having to call anything.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Me four . . . I am talking to players all the time during the game. "Get out of the lane," "don't reach," "hands off," etc. Saves my lungs, and keeps the game flowing. If I can talk a kid out of a penalty before it creates an advantage/disadvantage situation, I usually try to do that. Does it always work, no.

By the way, nice job handling your situation. Just right.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, everyone. I like to talk to 'em too: next time I'll say something.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

I would NOT say anything to the player. It is not my job to coach him. I would merely have does as the OP did -- signal the delayed violation and penalize it if necessary.

Also, those of us who have been through this discussion before know that a technical foul can be considered for the repeated disconcertion attempts.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Also, those of us who have been through this discussion before know that a technical foul can be considered for the repeated disconcertion attempts.
Would I be correct in thinking that you'd call it an unsporting foul (10.3.7)? Or would it be delay (10.3.6)?
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I would NOT say anything to the player. It is not my job to coach him. I would merely have does as the OP did -- signal the delayed violation and penalize it if necessary.

Generally, only when the disconcertion is being used as a tactic to force the shooter to make the shot.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Would I be correct in thinking that you'd call it an unsporting foul (10.3.7)? Or would it be delay (10.3.6)?
http://forum.officiating.com/newrepl...reply&p=198071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
From a POE on disconcertion in the 2001-02 rule book--"The committee emphasizes that disconcertion is a violation(9-1-5) and may result in a substitute throw. If persistent or deemed unsporting, the team/player may be penalized with a technical foul". They put "team" in there to deal with cases where the bench disconcerts.