The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Disconcerting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85038-disconcerting.html)

The_Rookie Sat Dec 24, 2011 02:10pm

Disconcerting

Had a coach moan a couple of times in a game on Thursday when his guy had the ball shooting free throws, the opp on the lane were communicating to each other "I got Shooter".

He was asking for a disconcert call... (I called nothing)

You say what on this?

Thanks and Merry Xmas!

Zoochy Sat Dec 24, 2011 02:18pm

Hands up or Down

If I feel it needs to be address, then on the next free throw, before I bounce the ball to the shooter, I say Hands up or Hands down. No talking when the shooter has the ball.
I also hate when the coach of the non-shooting team yells "Rebound" when it is the 1st throw of a multiple free throw attempt.:mad:

JRutledge Sat Dec 24, 2011 02:24pm

It really depends on the situation. I would watch when they say those things. Are they waiting until the shooter is about to shoot or when they are clearly going through their routine. But as said if you have a problem with it or think it is suspect, tell the players to "knock it off" before the shooter gets the ball.

Peace

BillyMac Sat Dec 24, 2011 02:33pm

This Ain't Rocket Surgery ???

If something disconcerts the shooter, then, by all means, call a disconcertion violation.

Adam Sat Dec 24, 2011 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 808083)
Had a coach moan a couple of times in a game on Thursday when his guy had the ball shooting free throws, the opp on the lane were communicating to each other "I got Shooter".

You say what on this?

Thanks and Merry Xmas!

As Rut noted, if they're saying it just as the shooter is about to shoot, tell them to knock it off. If they do it after that, ding 'em.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 24, 2011 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 808083)

You say what on this?

Thanks and Merry Xmas!

Get read to administer the FT. Stop. Pause for effect. Pointedly ask the defnese -- "Everybody know who's got the shooter?" When they respond in the affirmative, add "Good -- then there's no need to disconcert" -- yes, use that word.

They'll get the message, or else they'll hear the whistle.

BillyMac Sat Dec 24, 2011 07:00pm

They'll Certainly See The Fist ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 808136)
They'll get the message, or else they'll hear the whistle.

Unless the free throw is successful.

Tio Tue Dec 27, 2011 04:15pm

Do you think he was doing it to disconcert the shooter? If so, I would address it with the kid. Just tell him to stop talking once the shooter has the ball. This hopefully helps the game and also shows the coach you will listen.

I do think if you call this it has to be obvious to everyone in the gym.

Adam Tue Dec 27, 2011 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio (Post 808587)
Do you think he was doing it to disconcert the shooter? If so, I would address it with the kid. Just tell him to stop talking once the shooter has the ball. This hopefully helps the game and also shows the coach you will listen.

I do think if you call this it has to be obvious to everyone in the gym.

He doesn't have to attempt to disconcert in order to actually do it, and I disagree that it has to be obvious to everyone. Too many don't know this rule to worry about it, and the players can often do this in a way that's just loud enough to be heard on the court.

Tio Tue Dec 27, 2011 05:30pm

Agreed... the situation I see is that you bounce the ball to the shooter and at the last minute, one of the defensive players sticks their hands up. Usually, by addressing this it ends further activity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 808598)
He doesn't have to attempt to disconcert in order to actually do it, and I disagree that it has to be obvious to everyone. Too many don't know this rule to worry about it, and the players can often do this in a way that's just loud enough to be heard on the court.

Adam Tue Dec 27, 2011 05:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio (Post 808600)
Agreed... the situation I see is that you bounce the ball to the shooter and at the last minute, one of the defensive players sticks their hands up. Usually, by addressing this it ends further activity.

Yep, when it's obvious to me that they're disconcerting, I might address it is bob suggests. Or, I might just call the violation; depends on how much trouble they've been giving me during the game.

PG_Ref Wed Dec 28, 2011 09:37am

Has anyone ever heard of or called disconcertion on the opponent's bench?

mbyron Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 808736)

I've heard of it, but it's not correct procedure. Disconcertion is defined in terms of 'opponents', which is a term not defined in rule 4; however, every usage in the rules makes it clear that the term refers to players on the floor, not bench personnel.

If you feel it's over the line, warn the head coach and then whack him if it continues.

PG_Ref Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 808751)
I've heard of it, but it's not correct procedure. Disconcertion is defined in terms of 'opponents', which is a term not defined in rule 4; however, every usage in the rules makes it clear that the term refers to players on the floor, not bench personnel.

If you feel it's over the line, warn the head coach and then whack him if it continues.

It has been debated that, in rule 9, the term "players" refers to the 10 on the court at the time. When the term "opponent" (9-1-3C) is used, it refers to the 5 on the court as well as bench personnel. Is there a definitive NFHS position or is it the infamous "when in Rome ..." ?

BillyMac Wed Dec 28, 2011 06:06pm

Noah Webster Used To Live Right Down The Street From Me ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 808736)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 808751)

Sorry. I'm going to have to disagree with you on this "pardner". Opponents include bench personnel, including the coaches. I can't find any specific citation in regard to this, but I did find these references to "opponents" in the NFHS rulebook:

2011-12 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1. SPORTING BEHAVIOR. The NFHS Basketball Rules Committee continues to be concerned about the following behaviors:
A. Pregame Situations. Teams entering the gymnasium prior to the contest should not run through the area occupied by the opposing team or under the basket where opponents are warming up.

NFHS Common Symptoms of Concussion Include: Unsure of game, score or opponent.

NFHS Coaches Code of Ethics: The coach shall not scout opponents by any means other than those adopted by the league and/or state high school athletic association.

The citations above are, granted, quite weak, and kind of lame. So let's go to the dictionary:

Opponent (Noun): a person who is on an opposing side in a game, contest, controversy, or the like; adversary.