The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Before I became a ref I didn't even know this rule existed. Only once have I seen it called. It was during one of my son's games, and, the coach whose team it was called against came completely unglued!! Last Thursday, the game was tied (under 3 minutes, see-saw match, great game). The first of a 1 in 1 and, as A1 gets ready to release, B1, to his immediate right in the lane, yells, "BOX OUT!" He had plenty of time to remind his guys to box out prior to the exact moment A1 was shooting. And, he didn't whisper it, but it wasn't quite a primal yell either. We did not call disconcerting violation, no coach complained. My question is: do any of you call this, and, under what circumstances? Just how egregious does the disconcert have to be (especially when it is in a tight game, like this one).
Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

2005-06 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
2. Free Throws.
C. Disconcertion. Free-throw disconcertion must be carefully monitored. Of particular concern is when the free throw will become dead (first of two or first two of three). Defensive players often employ tactics which serve no other purpose than to disconcert the shooter during free throws ("boxing out" the free thrower off the free-throw line, waving arms, yelling instructions to teammates, etc.). Another increasing trend is opponents outside the arc saying things to the thrower. With team free-throw percentages hovering in the mid-60's on average, teams welcome a second chance free throw. They deserve it if disconcertion occurs and officials must call it.

I'd call it.

Old Sun Jan 01, 2006, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Before I became a ref I didn't even know this rule existed. Only once have I seen it called. It was during one of my son's games, and, the coach whose team it was called against came completely unglued!! Last Thursday, the game was tied (under 3 minutes, see-saw match, great game). The first of a 1 in 1 and, as A1 gets ready to release, B1, to his immediate right in the lane, yells, "BOX OUT!" He had plenty of time to remind his guys to box out prior to the exact moment A1 was shooting. And, he didn't whisper it, but it wasn't quite a primal yell either. We did not call disconcerting violation, no coach complained. My question is: do any of you call this, and, under what circumstances? Just how egregious does the disconcert have to be (especially when it is in a tight game, like this one).
Yes, I do.

Had a coach a couple of weeks ago who yelled "Box out!" twice on the first two FTs by the opponent. Fortunately for him, the shooter hit both. The second one was the front end of a 2 shot foul. As one of my partners was beckoning subs, I walked over to the coach. "If he misses, I'm giving him another one." He smiled and never did it again.

I also call it when the defender raises/drops his arms just as the shooter is shooting.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
I agree, when i go into the lane I say everyone ready. Then administer the ball. Anything after that I call. Question for repeat offenders can i give the a T. I was thinking yes due to unsportsman like conduct
Old Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
I agree, when i go into the lane I say everyone ready. Then administer the ball. Anything after that I call. Question for repeat offenders can i give the a T. I was thinking yes due to unsportsman like conduct
Yes, you can issue a technical foul for repeated disconcertion. That was an NFHS ruling a couple of years ago.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Kids Yelling At Free-Thrower

Speaking of disconcertion...while I was officiating a girls' JV game recently, a group of five or six middle-school aged boys were hollering at the top of their lungs trying to rattle the visiting teams' free throw shooter. They were in the front row of bleachers, even with the free throw line extended. Their antics seemed to have an effect, which only spurred them to greater volume as the game wore on.

Nothing they said was vulgar; just loud yelling directed at the shooter.

I was troubled and embarrassed by their behavior (at least partially because I know them as students and felt they needed a scolding). What they were doing seemed unsporting, but I didn't do anything about it. I couldn't think of a rule that would apply. In the back of my mind, I heard the echo of "the stands belong to the fans" and I bit my tongue.

Would I have been wrong or out-of-line to tell them (at an opportune time) to knock it off ?

Sven

Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

I think so. As long as what they are shouting isn't out of line, they are allowed to razz the shooter. That is the job of the fans. Just make sure that they stay in the bleachers while doing it.

Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Question? Does disconcerting have to be a vocal or physical action? I played with a guy who use to eat Fava Bean Soup prior to games. He was agreat guy and has had an outstanding career in Massachusetts as a HS Football Coach. Anyway, he could "on command" do something that basically disconcerted anyone within a 20 foot radius. I think we won 2 or 3 games that year based on the other Team's lousy free-throw percentage. No Ref ever called him on at as "stealth" was one of his talents. If I ever come across a similar situation, what would the Board suggest I call?
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Yep I call it all the time. I make sure I tell everyone before I pass the ball to the shooter, quiet on the set!!!!
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 09:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
Question? Does disconcerting have to be a vocal or physical action? I played with a guy who use to eat Fava Bean Soup prior to games. He was agreat guy and has had an outstanding career in Massachusetts as a HS Football Coach. Anyway, he could "on command" do something that basically disconcerted anyone within a 20 foot radius. I think we won 2 or 3 games that year based on the other Team's lousy free-throw percentage. No Ref ever called him on at as "stealth" was one of his talents. If I ever come across a similar situation, what would the Board suggest I call?
A fragrant foul...
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
My favorite disconcertion story is from camp in '03. A1 at the line with the ball. B1 is at the top of the circle, hands on knees. In a normal tone of voice, B1 is telling his teammates their defensive assignments, the next play they're running, etc. Just talking, but not stopping.

A1 looks at me and says, "Ref, that's disconcertion."

Without missing a beat, B1 says, "Spell that."

Everybody, including A1, B1 and me, cracked up.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
A fragrant foul...
Thats funny!
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by brianp134
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
A fragrant foul...
Thats funny!
That joke is also as old as JR.