The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 04:43pm
Ok is the new good

Just a Word of Caution...

Received this from one assignor I work for...Just a reminder to use common sense at ALL times

Hi all,

We hope the subject line got your attention!

We have recently received reports that some officials have been changing clothes in the parking lots of the schools immediately prior to their games. We received a report this week about an official observed nearly naked by a school secretary.

You should NEVER change clothes outside of a restroom or locker room while on school property. What was witnessed would be enough to get a person charged with indecent exposure...or worse. Given some individuals' propensity for overreaction, it would not be surprising to see someone given lifetime placement on the sex offender registry.

Think this is a ridiculous exaggeration? Here's how it could be described in court: "This adult man was seen by three 8-year old girls and their moms without any clothing below the belt in an elementary school parking lot." Your life would never be the same, all because of an incredibly stupid decision you made. (Yes, the school secretary reported seeing bare buns.)

NEVER, EVER change clothes outside of a restroom or locker room while on school property. If you do not have time to change into your uniform prior to arriving on campus or in a restroom or locker room, DO NOT ACCEPT THE ASSIGNMENT.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 05:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Don't you guys provide locker rooms? Not sure why this would even need to be said. Then again again there are people that think going to games dressed is a good thing. I stand corrected.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 05:17pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Anyone tried this?

Officials locker room - Changing screen for umpires and officials in the parking lot

I've actually seen it once (baseball).
Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 05:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Don't you guys provide locker rooms?
Rut - I think the example given happened in an elementary school parking lot. I doubt there are many elementary schools with locker rooms, and probably any offices there have windows.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Rut - I think the example given happened in an elementary school parking lot. I doubt there are many elementary schools with locker rooms, and probably any offices there have windows.
And most windows will have blinds. and, there (almost) certainly is a nurse's office or a staff bathroom.

Or, change IN the car AND at the far end of the parking lot and look around before changing pants. OR, wear the compression shorts / underwear under your regular pants before changing to the ref pants at the site. Or, ...
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
They need to provide a room that has no windows. It is not totally unusual in HS that do not have a big locker room to take you to a classroom and if they have to cover the little window, they do. But this sounds like a problem created by the school, not just the officials.

BTW, in my experience I have been to many JH/middle schools and I cannot think of many that did not have a "locker room" for the officials.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 10:25am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm quite sure every elementary school has bathrooms for teachers/adults only. And sometimes they are even private, lock-the-door bathrooms.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 11:23am
I miss being on the floor

FWIW, all the middle school games I have, I go dressed to. I'm never sure there is somewhere to change. That seems to be the norm in my area, as every partner I've had has come dressed, unless he's running in straight from work or something like that.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
This year since the junior high is being remodeled, the games are being played at the high school & the elementary school. Since the elementary school just opened, on each of the 2 floors there are staff/adult restrooms available. Of course during games, only the ground floor will be open.
Thank you for this local bit of information about one junior high in your region?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
FWIW, all the middle school games I have, I go dressed to. I'm never sure there is somewhere to change. That seems to be the norm in my area, as every partner I've had has come dressed, unless he's running in straight from work or something like that.
That's the norm in my area too; I usually go dressed to JH games, just change shoes once I get there. I've never had the need to change in the parking lot for a basketball game though; they always give us someplace to change even if it's just an empty classroom.

I can tell you as a baseball umpire that changing in the parking lot is standard operating procedure for umpires. There is virtually never anyplace private to change. Coming to the game dressed isn't a solution either because all high school games in Iowa are doubleheaders. I guarantee you I'm not wearing the same clothes I just worked a plate game in 95 degree heat in for the second game in the field. I always do my best to park away from people and be discreet, but sometimes it's tough. That's not the umpire's fault; if the schools don't want us changing in the lot they need to provide a place to change.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 01:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Well it might be the norm, but I bet it is not expected by the assignor. I say that because a lot of guys that work those games, are working those games for a reason and their professionalism is one of those reasons. I would never come dressed to a game for so many reasons I have talked about before. They better put me in some office somewhere or I am not working the game. I am not coming out of the rain, snow or wind in my black pants that just got dirty from the outside elements. That is just not going to happen.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 03:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Jeff, I can tell you there are some middle school assigners who go to their games dressed. That said. The OP seems like a great time to press the schools for a dressing room.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well it might be the norm, but I bet it is not expected by the assignor. I say that because a lot of guys that work those games, are working those games for a reason and their professionalism is one of those reasons. I would never come dressed to a game for so many reasons I have talked about before. They better put me in some office somewhere or I am not working the game. I am not coming out of the rain, snow or wind in my black pants that just got dirty from the outside elements. That is just not going to happen.
So if you work JH games you're unprofessional? I work as many varsity games as I care to and I still work a small number of JH games. Why? Because they usually play on nights when varsity games aren't being played, they're easy, close to home, I'm home in time for dinner, and I get an opportunity to work with newer, less experienced officials and help them get better. Nobody around here cares if an official comes dressed to a JH game; they're just glad a competent official was willing to do it.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 06:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Old Folks At Home ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
I work as many varsity games as I care to and I still work a small number of JH games. Why? Because they usually play on nights when varsity games aren't being played, they're easy, close to home, I'm home in time for dinner, and I get an opportunity to work with newer, less experienced officials and help them get better.
Agree.

When I get to be too old and decrepit to work high school varsity games, I hope that I'm still healthy enough to work high school freshman, and middle school games. I retire from my day job in seven years, and there are a lot of 4:00 p.m. freshman games, and 3:30 p.m. middle school games, that need to be covered.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 29, 2011 at 09:38am.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Yes, I have used it many times (softball). It is a great alternative to changing in the parking lot hiding behind your car. And it fold down flat in your trunk.

Rut - I agree that the schools need to provide a place to change, but if they do not that does not lift the responsibility of the the officials to follow the law and/or act in a professional manner.
Closed Thread