The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 10:30pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

OT- Assignment ethics come back to bite me in the butt...

Not quite basketball time here yet, finishing up the soccer season first... There are times when I can sympathize with officials that cancel out of assignments to get "better" ones.

For the last month, I had 3 women's college club games scheduled for Saturday. Then a couple of days ago, 2 of the games got cancelled. 2 of the guys I was scheduled to work with bailed out ( one didn't want to drive 100 miles for just one game, the other wanted to clear his schedule to possibly get a HS boy's playoff).

Long story short, I kept the remaining assignment, then got an email early this morning offering a second round playoff game for Saturday evening. ( I would have to haul a** to get over there in time after my original assignment), and would not have been able to have any sort of pregame with the HS partners before the playoff. So, I did the responsible, ethical thing and turned down the playoff. Two hours later, I get another email.. yup the remaining college game had just been cancelled.

So, from 3 games to 1 game, to turning down what promises to be an excellent 4A 2nd round playoff assignment, to no games whatsoever.

Oh well, yardwork tomorrow.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

If you worked for me, I'd use you in the third round.

If you contacted me again to let me know that your college game just cancelled and that you were now available should I have not yet filled that 2nd round assignment or another opening that I may have on that Saturday, I would put you in right away.

Assignors should back people who honor their assignments.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:42pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Thanks Nevada, more of just a "b****" session on my part.

It was nice to have gotten selected for a second-rounder, unfortunately in CO, once you decline, you are done for the season.

Got my first BB assignments for this weekend (MS) so time to put one bag away and get the other one ready.