View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
FWIW, all the middle school games I have, I go dressed to. I'm never sure there is somewhere to change. That seems to be the norm in my area, as every partner I've had has come dressed, unless he's running in straight from work or something like that.
That's the norm in my area too; I usually go dressed to JH games, just change shoes once I get there. I've never had the need to change in the parking lot for a basketball game though; they always give us someplace to change even if it's just an empty classroom.

I can tell you as a baseball umpire that changing in the parking lot is standard operating procedure for umpires. There is virtually never anyplace private to change. Coming to the game dressed isn't a solution either because all high school games in Iowa are doubleheaders. I guarantee you I'm not wearing the same clothes I just worked a plate game in 95 degree heat in for the second game in the field. I always do my best to park away from people and be discreet, but sometimes it's tough. That's not the umpire's fault; if the schools don't want us changing in the lot they need to provide a place to change.