Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 04:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
And getting dressed at the site was one of the keys to all this positive feedback?
Of course not because that is expected here at all games. But the way we carried ourselves is not just what you call in the game. I know you think it is, but it is not.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Working varsity at some point does not exonerate you from acts of professionalism.

And you claim they do not give a damn but something tells me based on experience that is not totally true. A long time varsity guy and I worked a JH tournament (local) tournament some years ago for a varsity assignor and we worked two games that afternoon. We both showed up to the game not dressed in uniform and got dressed in an office or teacher's lounge. I will never forget the scorer on that game in about the first quarter of the first game said to me in an amazed voice, "You guys must be varsity officials?" I was surprised and asked her "Why do you think that?" She said, "Because you guys do everything so professionally. Most of the officials we see are so sloppy and we have to try to figure out what you they are doing. With you guys we know what your fouls are and how you deal with us is so professional." I did not even think we were doing anything special and I certainly did not tell them what we had done, but they figured it out. BTW, I also heard a positive word about our job from the assignor who appreciated our effort as the school administrators also appreciated our effort that night.

Peace
Maybe you mechanics are just better than MS officials? None of that has to do with the fact that you threw a fit over people going to games dressed.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

No room?

For you guys that go to game site dressed because there's no place to change, where do you conduct your pregame? At center court? In lobby by popcorn machine? (actually had a guy that wanted to do that one night)
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
And getting dressed at the site was one of the keys to all this positive feedback?
I would expect it went into the overall impression.

People don't start their judgments of us when we walk on the field, court or mat and end when we walk off the playing surface. Their judgments begin with first contact and continue through the lifetime of the "relationship". I attempt to make the best impression at each point of contact. It is my belief that it is more professional to arrive and leave the contest site as inconspicuously as possible. It is impossible to not attract attention when you get out of or into your car wearing an officiating uniform.

I've always been instructed to dress for the job I want and emulate people in positions to which I aspire. I believe that to be sound advice that I use in my personal and professional life. I don't treat officiating as an avocation; it's as much a part of my professional life as my day job. I can't help but wonder when the last time a DI official in any sport showed up to a contest in uniform.

Since I seem to be out on a limb with Jeff, maybe it's a local thing... but I doubt it.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 10:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Maybe you mechanics are just better than MS officials? None of that has to do with the fact that you threw a fit over people going to games dressed.
Threw a fit? Did I throw my computer across the room? Did I get upset and have the conversation with others outside of this forum?

Actually I do not give a damn what you do when it is all said and done. But I wonder when guys complain they did not get a game, they cannot get hired by a certain person or they have problems with coaches, a lot of that I am sure is the situation of how you handle all these situations we just talked about. Coaches and fans do not form opinions of us just because we show up. It is your career, go to any game you like and look anyway you like. I would not go a date, job interview or to church in a t-shirt and jeans, not going to start doing that when most coaches are not wearing those things to the very same game and that includes MS games and call myself professional.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

I think nearly 100 posts on this is enough.

If you "demand" more than is normal in your area for that level, you will be viewed as high maintenance. If you do less than is normal, you will be viewed as unprofessional.

Neither is good. Both can be overcome, but it's better not to have to do so.

Getting butt neckid in a JH parking lot is never (?) a good idea.
Closed Thread