The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I was working a Varsity Fall League last week when I had a situation arise during the game that I really didn't think was a situation until I was thinking about it on my drive home .
Player A1 makes a strong move to the hoop and throws it down on Player B . Both Teams come back down the court and Player B1 starts to post up Player A1 and he starts calling for the ball saying he has a mismatch . There is some low chatter among the two and then I clearly hear A1 say "you gotta learn to move your feet nigg&%" . The ball moves around a shot is put up and I hear no more the rest of the game from either one .
I have a couple of questions :
DO I give a flagrant for use of the word nigg%& ?
If you think a flagrant should be called :
Does it matter if both players involved are black ?
How about if both are white ?
One white/one black ?

For the record everyone in the gym was black and I did not give out any T's . As I said earlier I didn't even think twice about it (as far as being a flagrant) until I was driving home .
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quietly tell the players they don't need to be talking to each other that way and if you hear it again assure them it will be taken care of.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Weekend, Junker is right. Don't make a big show but tell them to knock it off and if you hear it again get rid of the player. Keep in your mind that you won't make it a white/black or black/black issue. Keep it a SPORTSMANSHIP issue and a taunting issue. Some languase is inappropriate anywhere, especially in a game. We do have to be the "speech police" while on the court.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

How soft are you guys. I hear ANYONE, black, white, mexican, etc., use a racial slur like that, directed AT ANOTHER PLAYER, I'll issue a T and not think twice about it. I'd have to see the situation to decide whether it warrants an ejection or not, but, it's a DEFINITE T in my mind.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I don't think this is a clear cut issue. I know Rutledge will sign on here sooner or later, and say that where he works, if you gave a flagrant T every time you heard the N-word, there wouldn't be anyone left playing. I think you really need to talk to folks in your area, and gauge from their reactions. There are a couple of coaches here I could ask, and would, if I thought I would be dealing with. Also, some refs who've been around the horn and back. I'd go by their judgment.

I am personally offended when I hear this, even if it's said by a black person to another black person. I really don't like it. But I also know that there are neighborhoods where no one thinks twice about it, and it's just part of the language. If neither coach, neither player, and none of the coaches' or players' mothers care, then I'm not going to call it.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

If you and the players are the only ones who hear it, why make a headache for yourself by having to explain to the coaches why you're throwing the T? A quiet conversation will clean it up most of the time. If not, then when you do have to use the whistle, you can tell the coach that you had already talked to them about it once.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 02:03pm
Administrator

This conduct has only one penalty: a flagrant TF.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 02:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

I treat words to players that are of the same race and on the same team a lot differently than if opponents use the same words. If you ask is this a double standard, yes. Life is not fair. Does that mean I will just let it go? Of course I will not. I do not care what others do and how they handle it. If you are so worried about this word, you better watch every other word or term that can be seen as offensive. I know many white people do not know certain terms that might get their teeth knocked out and the words do not start with the letter "N."

Peace
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

In the sitch that Rut describes (i.e. only the two players and I have heard it, if I can, I will attempt to address the players individually and tell them that the next time costs them in a big way (yes I've threatened ejection). If, however, it is said in taunting form or threatening form and we all know the difference, that is flagrant right away. Double standard, maybe. However, I believe you have to look at each situation as it occurs. A bump is not always a foul either. Just my two cents.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Double Standard?

Here's how I handle the issue, 1) who said it - and to whom were they speaking? 2) did someone from the opposing team react?

1)team mate to team mate quiet conversation with player at dead-ball heads up to the coach about what we talked about.
2) If someone from the opposing team reacts, then your almost backed into a corner of nabbing the situation.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 05:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
In the sitch that Rut describes (i.e. only the two players and I have heard it, if I can, I will attempt to address the players individually and tell them that the next time costs them in a big way (yes I've threatened ejection). If, however, it is said in taunting form or threatening form and we all know the difference, that is flagrant right away. Double standard, maybe. However, I believe you have to look at each situation as it occurs. A bump is not always a foul either. Just my two cents.
I have told many players to "knock it off" or gave them a mine lecture about why not to use that word on the floor or on the field.

During a football game last year (between two all Black teams), there were teammates of on team upset with each other about not playing really well. I overheard a player use the N-word towards his own teammate. I quickly got next to the huddle, raised my voice and said to this entire defensive team, "I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR THAT THAT WORD AGAIN. YOU ARE NOT AT HOME HANGING OUT WITH YOUR FRIENDS, YOU ARE IN A PUBLIC PLACE AND YOU SHOULD ACT PROFESSIONAL!!" I did not hear that word again. I did a similar thing with a couple of college basketball players last year. Then the player who used the word apologized to me using that several times to me over the course of the game.

I am sorry, but I am not going to explain something to some coach that is not African-American or Black when that word does not personally affect them. That word affects me and I have more credibility to make a point. I want to send a message larger than some foul call can do during a sporting event. If these games are supposed to be the extention of the classroom, than I am going to use these moments as a teaching opportuntity rather than just punishing and no one understand or has the chance to change in the "real world."

Peace

Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

In my opinion this has to be a technical in a high school game, because the way I read it, this is an act of taunting. You never know how this could potentially escalate between the 2 players, particularly if the game becomes a blowout. I do not work college, so I'd have to leave that to you guys who do, but in my area we have a zero tolerance mandate for unsportsmanlike conduct, so I would very likely T here to maintain control of the game.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
In my opinion this has to be a technical in a high school game, because the way I read it, this is an act of taunting. You never know how this could potentially escalate between the 2 players, particularly if the game becomes a blowout. I do not work college, so I'd have to leave that to you guys who do, but in my area we have a zero tolerance mandate for unsportsmanlike conduct, so I would very likely T here to maintain control of the game.
I think what many are saying is that if it's between 2 teammates, see if you can warn but if it's to their opponent, that might require penalty. It still amazes me how many of these kids know each other from other sports or AAU or whatever. Sometimes my initial reaction is to jump in but the 2 players are laughing. Why then do I need to get involved other than to make sure fans and other teammates don't get involved and carry it over the line. I usually would tell them that others might mistake what they are saying so let's cut it out.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 08:31pm
Administrator

Come on guys. Doesn't anybody have some intestional fortitude. I don't care what the level of play is (NFHS/jr. H.S. and H.S., NCAA, FIBA, NBA/WNBA), this is a flagrant technical foul. This kind of conduct has no place in sports no matter what the sport or level of sport: amatuer or professional.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 10:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Intestional fortitude?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Come on guys. Doesn't anybody have some intestional fortitude. I don't care what the level of play is (NFHS/jr. H.S. and H.S., NCAA, FIBA, NBA/WNBA), this is a flagrant technical foul. This kind of conduct has no place in sports no matter what the sport or level of sport: amatuer or professional.

MTD, Sr.

Neither the NCAA nor the NF rulebooks say anything about any language is a flagrant foul automatically. All the rules say is it can be ruled so by if the official deems the actions to be flagrant. There is nothing that supports your position at all. NF Rule 10-3-7b says it is against the rules to use inappropriate language and gestures. It says nothing about what is inappropriate or that if used it is an ejection. NF Rule 10-3-7c says, "Baiting or taunting an opponent." Not sure a single word that neither the player is offended by (rightly or wrongly) could be considered flagrant if especially when said amongst teammates. There is not even a casebook situation that suggests anything specific.

Now I do not have a problem if you have a personal preference, but do not use the rulebook as the gauge for backing up that philosophy directly. Language changes over time and can be interpreted differently depending one what part of the country you live or even social class of the individuals talking. Things I used to say when I was a teenager are not the same things I would say today. There was a time when you could not say “B@t@h” on TV, not it is used on network TV during family sitcoms. Now that is tame compared to many slang terms used today. So I think you need to go buy what might be the standard in your area. Just do not tell me the NF, NCAA, FIBA and NBA take a stand on this word or any for that matter.

Peace