The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 12:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Team A has six team members participating, which goes unobserved by the officials. Official calls a travel violation on Team A. There are no substitutions after the whistle. Before administering the throw in, official observes that Team A (still) has six team members participating. Ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. Too late to penalize with a technical foul?
Yes, you don't know who came on last. You don't know when he came on. Best you can do is talk to the table and see if they saw him run on w/o being beckoned.

He's no more participating than the players when you normally count. You're overthinking this.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 12:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Team A has six team members participating, which goes unobserved by the officials. Official calls a travel violation on Team A. There are no substitutions after the whistle. Before administering the throw in, official observes that Team A (still) has six team members participating. Ball is dead, and the clock is stopped. Too late to penalize with a technical foul?
WTF does NFHS rule 10-1-6PENALTY(Art 6) say?

And why won't you believe it?

As I said, lah...freaking...me.....
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 12:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Yes, I Am Overthinking This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yes, you don't know who came on last. .
Don't have to know who came on last, it's a team technical, not a player technical.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 12:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Participating ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
NFHS rule 10-1-PENALTY(Art 6)?
If discovered (participating) while being violated. What defines whether, or not, a player is participating? Does it have to be during a live ball, clock running, situation? Can it be during a live ball, clock stopped situation, i.e., between two free throws?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 20, 2011 at 12:50pm.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 01:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Don't have to know who came on last, it's a team technical, not a player technical.
My point was the team tech isn't an option, only the sub tech if you know who.

You didn't see them participating. You saw them standing on the court.

Billy, come on. It's the same as every other time we count the players. Count them, if there are too many, fix it. It's how it's handled everywhere, and if they wanted it different they would have told us a long time ago.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 01:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

And the point of the case play is that you can't go back and call the T retroactively, even if you think you know he had to be participating when the ball was live. If you didn't see it, you can't call it.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Ball, Clock Stopped ...

Snaqwells: Thanks for your patience. Not only am I still caught up on the definition of participating, but I'm also having trouble with your dead ball, clock running, post.

Team A has six players on the court. Officials are unaware of this infraction. Team A has been awarded two free throws. First free throw is missed. No substitutions are made. Before bouncing the ball to the free thrower for his second free throw, the officials realize that Team A has six players on the court. Dead ball. Clock stopped. Are all six players participating at this point? Can a technical be charged at this point, or do we just send off the extra player?

Team A has six players on the court. Officials are unaware of this infraction. Team A has been awarded two free throws. First free throw is missed. No substitutions are made. After bouncing the ball to the free thrower, and the ball at the free thrower's disposal for his second free throw, the officials realize that Team A has six players on the court. Live ball. Clock stopped. Are all six players participating at this point? Can a technical be charged at this point, or do we just send off the extra player?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 20, 2011 at 01:24pm.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 01:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Snaqwells: Thanks for your patience. Not only am I still caught up on the definition of participating, but I'm also having trouble with your dead ball, clock running, post.

Team A has six players on the court. Officials are unaware of this infraction. Team A has been awarded two free throws. First free throw is missed. No substitutions are made. Before bouncing the ball to the free thrower for his second free throw, the officials realize that Team A has six players on the court. Are all six players participating at this point? Can a technical be charged at this point, or do we just send off the extra player?
send him off. Unless you're going to say he was participating. If you say that, you need to call the T when you count 6 prior to a throw-in.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 01:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If discovered (participating) while being violated. What defines whether, or not, a player is participating? Does it have to be during a live ball, clock running, situation? Can it be during a live ball, clock stopped situation, i.e., between two free throws?
Sigh.....

You've discovered the last secret of the universe, Billy. The NFHS did not make up an all-inclusive list of ALL situations when when players are participating. Bad NFHS rulesmakers! Bad, bad NFHS rulesmakers! Hey, how about you coming up with one? That'll give you something to do. Don't forget to post it here when you're done.

Untl then, sayonara.....
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 01:51pm
Administrator

I thought my first post answered the original question: Is there such an animal as a false multiple technical foul?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 02:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I thought my first post answered the original question: Is there such an animal as a false multiple technical foul?

MTD, Sr.
And???
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 02:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

How's That ???

Quote:
Hey, how about you coming up with one? That'll give you something to do. Don't forget to post it here when you're done.
Live ball?

Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 02:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Live ball?
Here let me do it for you....

For the puposes of administering NFHS rule 10-1-6, a player is participating:
1) during all live-ball, clock running situations.
2) during all live-ball, clock stopped situations.
3) during all dead-ball, clock running situations.

A player is not participating during dead-ball, clock stopped situations.

And so it is written, and so it shall be!

Now see if you can find any exceptions.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sigh.....

You've discovered the last secret of the universe, Billy. The NFHS did not make up an all-inclusive list of ALL situations when when players are participating. Bad NFHS rulesmakers! Bad, bad NFHS rulesmakers! Hey, how about you coming up with one? That'll give you something to do. Don't forget to post it here when you're done.

Untl then, sayonara.....
Can we get him to post it on the mythbusters forum?
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 03:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Rain In Spain Stays Mainly In The Plain ...

Quote:
For the purposes of administering NFHS rule 10-1-6, a player is participating:
1) during all live-ball, clock running situations.
2) during all live-ball, clock stopped situations.
3) during all dead-ball, clock running situations.
A player is not participating during dead-ball, clock stopped situations.
Sounds logical.

Six team members on the court after granting timeouts, and during free throws when the ball is not at the disposal for the free thrower: They aren't really "participating", therefore, no technical fouls charged.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 20, 2011 at 03:23pm.