The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Team Control/Throw In After Made FG

Let me preface this with I am not an official, but a former college coach at a HS county final last night. I am certain a mistake was made in this situation but maybe somebody can clarify for me. A1 is taking the ball out of bounds after a made basket. While he is holding the ball attempting to inbound and clearly has not released the ball yet, A2 is called for a foul for pushing off to get open against B1. Both teams were in the double bonus situation. However, B1 was NOT awarded 2 free throws. I have always been under the impression that in HS basketball, team control does not begin until the ball is inbounded. At the time of the foul there was 1:30 left in a tie game so obviously a huge play. I happened to see the exact same scenario with :17 seconds left in a 1 point game on Saturday and the team/B1 was correctly (or I think correctly) awarded 2 free throws. I asked the coach after the game about it and he said the official told him it was a team control foul. That official also happens to work college games and in those games he would be correct. Maybe uniformity in this rule would be a good thing since in many county and state tourney games you have many guys who work D3/D2/etc on these high school games.

Thanks.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW100 View Post
Let me preface this with I am not an official, but a former college coach at a HS county final last night. I am certain a mistake was made in this situation but maybe somebody can clarify for me. A1 is taking the ball out of bounds after a made basket. While he is holding the ball attempting to inbound and clearly has not released the ball yet, A2 is called for a foul for pushing off to get open against B1. Both teams were in the double bonus situation. However, B1 was NOT awarded 2 free throws. I have always been under the impression that in HS basketball, team control does not begin until the ball is inbounded. At the time of the foul there was 1:30 left in a tie game so obviously a huge play. I happened to see the exact same scenario with :17 seconds left in a 1 point game on Saturday and the team/B1 was correctly (or I think correctly) awarded 2 free throws. I asked the coach after the game about it and he said the official told him it was a team control foul. That official also happens to work college games and in those games he would be correct. Maybe uniformity in this rule would be a good thing since in many county and state tourney games you have many guys who work D3/D2/etc on these high school games.

Thanks.
I couldn't agree with you more; uniformity on these types of plays would increase call accuracy. I will contact the assignor of these games and inform them of the incorrect application of rules. In addition, I assure you that these officials will not be assigned playoff games next year. If there is anything else I can do to help the situation, please contact me. Thank you.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have always been under the impression that in HS basketball, team control does not begin until the ball is inbounded.
You are correct, but keep in mind that t/c begins when a team has possession after the throw-in has legally ended. The ball merely being inbounded does not equate to t/c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw100 View Post
maybe uniformity in this rule would be a good thing
+1

Last edited by tref; Fri Feb 25, 2011 at 12:59pm.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If your account is correct, the officials mis-applied the rule. It is not a team control foul under either NFHS or NCAA rules.
It IS a TC foul under NCAA rules.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I am certain a mistake was made in this situation but maybe somebody can clarify for me. A1 is taking the ball out of bounds after a made basket. While he is holding the ball attempting to inbound and clearly has not released the ball yet, A2 is called for a foul for pushing off to get open against B1. Both teams were in the double bonus situation. However, B1 was NOT awarded 2 free throws. I have always been under the impression that in HS basketball, team control does not begin until the ball is inbounded. At the time of the foul there was 1:30 left in a tie game so obviously a huge play. I asked the coach after the game about it and he said the official told him it was a team control foul. That official also happens to work college games and in those games he would be correct. Maybe uniformity in this rule would be a good thing since in many county and state tourney games you have many guys who work D3/D2/etc on these high school games.
If your account is correct, the officials mis-applied the rule. It is not a team control foul.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If your account is correct, the officials mis-applied the rule. It is not a team control foul under either NFHS or NCAA rules.
JR t/c does exist during the throw-in in the NCAA game.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It IS a TC foul under NCAA rules.
As soon as I wrote that, I went back and fixed it.

You're quick.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Ok Jurassic, so even in college B1 should have been awarded free throws. I thought in college it was considered team control when the inbounder was still holding the ball attempting the throw in and thus no free throws were awarded.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Ok Jurassic and Bob you clarified that. You are trying to confuse me even more!!
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ok Jurassic, so even in college B1 should have been awarded free throws. I thought in college it was considered team control when the inbounder was still holding the ball attempting the throw in and thus no free throws were awarded.
See above. I mis-applied my original response.

No team control foul in high school; team control foul in college.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See above. I mis-applied my original response.

No team control foul in high school; team control foul in college.
What about in the NBA?
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
What about in the NBA?
Offensive foul
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
What about in the NBA?
In the NBE, free throws are allowed only if the fouled player is a superstar - rule 1-1-1.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
What about in the NBA?
I can screw up enough NFHS and NCAA rules without trying to guess what the NBA rule is too. And please don't ask about FIBA.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

All I know is in FIBA regardless of which way the call went coins would have been thrown at the officials by the fans