The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:26am
Back from the DL

It appears we have different ways of thinking that will lead to the same result.

If I'm reading Mr. West's words correctly, he's emphasizing the word POINT in "point of interruption." In other words, at what point was the game interrupted? Was there team control?

That would be fine, but as others pointed out, 4-36-1 clearly states that POI is a method of resuming play, not just a point in the game. In other words, POI is the effect, not just the cause.

(Aside: I'm an I.T. guy, too. I enjoy these analyses, but when there's a dispute, I find that the written definition supersedes all.)
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
It appears we have different ways of thinking that will lead to the same result.

If I'm reading Mr. West's words correctly, he's emphasizing the word POINT in "point of interruption." In other words, at what point was the game interrupted? Was there team control?

That would be fine, but as others pointed out, 4-36-1 clearly states that POI is a method of resuming play, not just a point in the game. In other words, POI is the effect, not just the cause.
It's almost as if I said that a bit earlier than you.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
I'm a logical person. It's part of my character. I'm not saying anyone else on this board isn't logical. It's just that I'm a software engineer by training and I think very analytically.
And I'm an analyst by trade, and it's easier for me to actually think of it in terms of the way the rule is worded rather than my opinion of what "point of interruption" would mean without the rules.

The thing is, unless you go through them in succession, an official could simply go to 4-36-2c and go to AP when it's not appropriate.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:35am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
It's almost as if I said that a bit earlier than you.
Fair enough. I didn't read all the posts, merely reacted to a few.

So, we'll go with, "I got your back."
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

True

Quote:

(Aside: I'm an I.T. guy, too. I enjoy these analyses, but when there's a dispute, I find that the written definition supersedes all.)
But so is AP. The AP is a method of putting the ball in play under a certain set of circumstance one of which the POI is no team control. The POI is not the Arrow in my opinion. It is the method of putting the ball in play when the POI is no team control and we have no other way of putting the ball in play like a throw-in or free throw.

Guys part of being an engineer is seeing things in terms of black and white and not so much gray. It is an occupational hazard of mine to be very analytical. I can't help it. We all get to the same result. I just look at it differently. It makes more sense to me to think of it in terms of POI in the case being no team control. And since we were not in the process of administering a throw-in or free throw we go with the arrow.

And if you haven't figured out by now, I love a good debate. I enjoy my time on this board!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Except when

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And I'm an analyst by trade, and it's easier for me to actually think of it in terms of the way the rule is worded rather than my opinion of what "point of interruption" would mean without the rules.

The thing is, unless you go through them in succession, an official could simply go to 4-36-2c and go to AP when it's not appropriate.
Except when an official interpretation disagrees with your interpretation.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Except when an official interpretation disagrees with your interpretation.
I didn't say they'd be right. But I've seen it happen. "There's no team control, infraction, or goal involved in this play so we're going AP."

Or when the rule disagrees with your statement that AP is not POI. 4-36-2c

It's all one rule, 4-36, which is the definition of POI.

I'm all for a good debate, even one on semantics and logic.

My issue is that more people come to the wrong conclusion by not thinking AP is one portion of the POI rule. "Do we go AP or POI?" It's a question based on an incorrect understanding of the rule.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

The POI is defined as a "method of resuming play due to an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, as in 5-4-3, a correctable error, as in 2-10-6, a double personal, double technical, or simultaneous foul, as in 4-19-8 and 4-19-10," per 4-36.

So rwest, a statment that would read, "The AP is the POI when...(correct critera for using the arrow)," if you replaced POI with the definition of POI, it would read, "The AP is the method of resuming play due to...(rest of definition)."

Is that more black and white for you?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:08am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Guys part of being an engineer is seeing things in terms of black and white and not so much gray. It is an occupational hazard of mine to be very analytical. I can't help it.
Sure you can, and that's coming from a black-and-white thinker, too. Try officiating soccer; that'll help you use your "gray matter."

APG is right on, though. The definition supersedes your opinion. While I find there are indeed some flaws in the rule book's wording, this isn't one of them. It appears you'll have to adjust accordingly.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

We will just have to agree to disagree

Quote:
I didn't say they'd be right. But I've seen it happen. "There's no team control, infraction, or goal involved in this play so we're going AP."

Or when the rule disagrees with your statement that AP is not POI. 4-36-2c

It's all one rule, 4-36, which is the definition of POI.

I'm all for a good debate, even one on semantics and logic.

My issue is that more people come to the wrong conclusion by not thinking AP is one portion of the POI rule. "Do we go AP or POI?" It's a question based on an incorrect understanding of the rule.
I believe that if you follow a logical progression of thought you will always come to the correct conclusion. Here's how I think of it. Shot goes up and we have a double foul. What is the point of interruption? A shot attempt. Do we have team control on a shot attempt? No. Did the shot go in? Yes, then we give the ball to the other team and let them run the endline. No, then how do we put a ball in play when we have no team control and we are not already administering a throw-in or free throw and a team is not entitled to such? We go with the arrow. This line of reasoning works for every case I can think of. I think in these terms and have never and do not believe I ever will come to the wrong conclusion.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

As does an official interpretation

Quote:
Sure you can, and that's coming from a black-and-white thinker, too. Try officiating soccer; that'll help you use your "gray matter."

APG is right on, though. The definition supersedes your opinion. While I find there are indeed some flaws in the rule book's wording, this isn't one of them. It appears you'll have to adjust accordingly.
Official interpretations also supersedes our opinions but that doesn't prevent some from disregarding them when they don't like the interpretation.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I believe that if you follow a logical progression of thought you will always come to the correct conclusion. Here's how I think of it. Shot goes up and we have a double foul. What is the point of interruption? A shot attempt. Do we have team control on a shot attempt? No. Did the shot go in? Yes, then we give the ball to the other team and let them run the endline. No, then how do we put a ball in play when we have no team control and we are not already administering a throw-in or free throw and a team is not entitled to such? We go with the arrow. This line of reasoning works for every case I can think of. I think in these terms and have never and do not believe I ever will come to the wrong conclusion.
I'm just not sure why you think a different line of reasoning is required when the rule itself is very clear and basic. AP is one method, the last method, in the progression of the POI rule.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2011, 11:23am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Official interpretations also supersedes our opinions but that doesn't prevent some from disregarding them when they don't like the interpretation.
That can be problematic, chief.

"I don't like the interpretation, so I'm going to enforce it my way." Such attitudes only lead to inconsistencies among us, and that doesn't make it better for the masses. It's better to adjust yourself to what everyone agreed upon (and remember, rules and interpretations are ultimately agreements).

Granted, in this case, your alternative viewpoint is merely a different means to the same end. Just be careful with disregarding things that have already been agreed upon. You can disagree, just keep on enforcing.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Because the case book backs me up

Quote:
I'm just not sure why you think a different line of reasoning is required when the rule itself is very clear and basic. AP is one method, the last method, in the progression of the POI rule.
Case Play 4.19.8 Situation C

A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball. Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.

Ruling: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a TRY IN FLIGHT; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used.

The writer of the case book believes the POI is not the AP but the TRY IN FLIGHT!

Last edited by rwest; Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 08:30am.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

That's my point

Quote:
That can be problematic, chief.

"I don't like the interpretation, so I'm going to enforce it my way." Such attitudes only lead to inconsistencies among us, and that doesn't make it better for the masses. It's better to adjust yourself to what everyone agreed upon (and remember, rules and interpretations are ultimately agreements).

Granted, in this case, your alternative viewpoint is merely a different means to the same end. Just be careful with disregarding things that have already been agreed upon. You can disagree, just keep on enforcing.
I don't disregard official interpretations. Others on this board do when it doesn't fit with how they have interpreted the rule. You and I can't arbitrarily agree to disregard an official interpretation. You and I can have different interps but it is the official interp that carries the most weight! Otherwise, we can have utter chaos if we all interp the rules differently and disregard the governing body.