The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 04:14am
In Time Out

college plays- double shot

First- player on West Virgina gets fouled going up for a shot looses the ball but grabs it again in mid-air and makes it. The refs, however after looking at the tape take away the basket and give him two shots. They reasoned that his first shot had ended when he lost the ball and even though he made a nice play getting the ball back while still in air, the shot didn't count.
1. Is this the same in HS?
2. Could multiple fouls be called here, If he gets fouled on the second shot? Would you still just shoot two fts or ignore one of the fouls?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 04:22am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
First- player on West Virgina gets fouled going up for a shot looses the ball but grabs it again in mid-air and makes it. The refs, however after looking at the tape take away the basket and give him two shots. They reasoned that his first shot had ended when he lost the ball and even though he made a nice play getting the ball back while still in air, the shot didn't count.
2. Could multiple fouls be called here, If he gets fouled on the second shot? Would you still just shoot two fts or ignore one of the fouls?

NFHS: The try ends when it is certain it will not be successful. The ball is now dead, so he can't start another try.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 04:23am
In Time Out

ok. well I would have given him style points...irregardless
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 04:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Those NCAA officials got it right. The try ended and a new one started. Continuous motion doesn't apply to a new try for goal. The ruling is the same at the NFHS level.

A false multiple foul certainly could be called in this case as the player is still an airborne shooter until he returns to the floor. However, I believe that most officials would ignore a second foul in such a situation. I'd even venture to say that would still be true even if the contact was severe, but not enough to deem intentional or flagrant. Not saying that that is the right thing to do by rule, but it does seem to be the commonly accepted practice.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ok. well I would have given him style points...irregardless
Tweet! You have just been cited by the spelling police.
Main Entry:
ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation:
\ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function:
adverb
Etymology:
probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date:
circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Tweet! You have just been cited by the spelling police.
Main Entry:
ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation:
\ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function:
adverb
Etymology:
probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date:
circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

English major? I am an English major, but I still make my share of grammar mistakes! Irregardless is a pet peeve of mine though!.....IT'S NOT A WORD !....I think we can all be in agreeance over that fact!
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:50am
Do not give a damn!!

According to Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

Directly from the dictionary.
-----------------------------------------------------
ir*re*gard*less

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the 20th Century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early in 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way form general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
--------------------------------------------------------

Peace
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

if the player is fouled on the second attempt after a foul has been called you can not have a regular foul. only if the contact is excessive, otherwise you ignore. So you can have a personal foul (the regular run of the mill) or flagrant or intentional. But no 4 free throws with the lane occupied.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
if the player is fouled on the second attempt after a foul has been called you can not have a regular foul. only if the contact is excessive, otherwise you ignore. So you can have a personal foul (the regular run of the mill) or flagrant or intentional. But no 4 free throws with the lane occupied.
this isn't quite correct, deecee. The key is whether the ball is dead or not. By rule, you can have multiple fouls on a shooter because the ball does not become dead until the try is over.

In the OP, however, the ball is dead once the it is obvious the first try is not going to be successful.