The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Two words: Oxy. Contin.!!! J/K

The #1 thing most of us forget to do is stretch AFTER a game. It really makes a ton of difference. If I don't post game stretch my back tightens and I move like Mr Tudball's secretary Mrs Wiggins crossed with his "Old Man" imitation. (Carol Burnett reference) I had to rush out of a gym the other day and did have time to post game stretch. Nothing a Skelaxon, Ultram, moist heating pad and whirlpool couldn't cure!!

Also, drink plenty of water after the game. Another all too often missed point.

Last edited by Judtech; Wed Feb 02, 2011 at 04:24pm.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
achilles tendonitis, both hips hurt, both hamstrings feel like they are one fast break away from snapping...

i stay in pretty good shape, work out a bit almost every day, but have been going since the start of football season with an average of 4-8 games a week.

third year guy. anybody have any secret exercises, potions, stretches, or anything else to help this almost 50 year old body get through 'til mid-march?

/thanks!!!
Since last Wednesday, I've worked everyday but Sunday, totaling 13 games. Off tonight, varsity doubleheaders tomorrow and Friday.

Yes, it caught up with me today. Sore lower back, tendinitis at the base of my right achilles and just tired in general. I turned 50 in back in November, so I'm there with ya.

Bought some 800mg Motrin over the counter on our last cruise in Cozumel. Amazing how well they work and how they help you sleep.

Stretching helps with tired, sore muscles.

Lower back - Lying on my back, I bring my knees up to my chest on hold it there. That helps the lower back.

Hamstrings - Lying on my back, I extend my leg upwards and I have my wife or daughter push on my heel toward my head. Allow it to be stretched until you feel a good burn in the middle of your hamstring. It's amazing how well this works. My right one was very tight last week. Been doing this 2-4 times each evening has helped a lot.

Achilles - I have a knot at the base of my right achilles on the back side of my heel. It's like the pic below, only lower. Achilles tendinitis is not inflammation and is actually called tendinopathy.

While sitting, use a towel to pull your toes toward you. This does a pretty good job of stretching the tendon.

I'm with Bob. I think most of us probably don't warmup/stretch pre-game and cool down/stretch post game.

Hope that helps!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 06:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Recommended By Four Out Of Five Dentists ...

Step Stretch

Step Stretch : Stretching Aids : Heel & Achilles Pain : Footsmart.com
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 07:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Since last Wednesday, I've worked everyday but Sunday, totaling 13 games. Off tonight, varsity doubleheaders tomorrow and Friday.

Yes, it caught up with me today. Sore lower back, tendinitis at the base of my right achilles and just tired in general. I turned 50 in back in November, so I'm there with ya.
My only pain is in my Achilles, same spot you mention. It started late last week. First 800 MG ibuprofen taken all season the other day.

A few days off this week due to the blizzard hasn't hurt. Now I have 3 days in a row, though, so we'll see how I do.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

timely thread, I had an easy girls double header the other night soph/V and broke in my new air max leather 2009's........very cushy, yet rather than turn just my head running down as new lead in transition, I torgued my knee trying to get a look. Hurts like hell, thank heavens with blizzards here, I've been off for two days but it still aches. Same knee as torn meniscus scope in September, so I can't catch a break. With the best part of my schedule coming up in the next few weeks I'm getting hoping it settles down. Ice and Arnica so far..........
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Water before and after the game.
I had a physical therapist who was treating me this fall for both back pain and a bad case of plantar fasciitis work up a series of pre game stretches specific for basketball and for what ails me.
Haven't had to take a bite of ref candy all season. Last year for basketball then softball, couldn't move without.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Some of us are just getting older and need more help than stretching alone will provide. I had the old "slice 'n dice" torn cartilage operations 40 and 30 years ago. Over the years, Advil was my "ref candy" of choice before games. More recently though, having had orthoscopic clean out surgeries a few years ago, my regimen has been:
Hyaluronic Acid injections (Synvisc, Euflexxa etx) Down to annually now.
Glucosamine/Chondroitin daily
Celebrex daily by prescription
Arthritis Strength Tylenol before games (Advil is out due to the Celebrex)
Voltaren Gel by prescription before and after games

and for those nagging dull aches from working too many games
"Sore No More" horse liniment. It's a natural product I get at the local Agway farm supply store. The folks there say they sell of ton of it to individuals for personal use, but it is a horse liniment. The directions tell you to apply it in the direction of hair growth. Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it. It works for me.

Equilite's Sore No More Liniment is an exceptional arnica and witch hazel based herbal horse liniment that contains no chemicals or harsh abrasives. Great to use as a massage liniment before and after exercise, or as a leg or bath brace.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 07:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Is Dorian Gray A Forum Member ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
Some of us are just getting older.
Some of us?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I lost 25 lbs. before the season and have lost a few more during it. My knees thank me every game.
I've also noticed that your posts are a lot better.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I am 50 years old (about to turn 51) and officiate between 10 to 12 games a week - half of those at the Varsity level, the others are JV. I drink LOTS of water each day, take two advil about an hour before game time, do a lot of stretching prior to the game and some between the girls and boys games. I am seldom if ever sore - more tired after some games than others 9depending on how fast paced the game is) but almost never sore.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 10:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I just ordered one. I'll post a review once I get it and use it. I'll take it with me to schools and use it before games.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I just ordered one. I'll post a review once I get it and use it. I'll take it with me to schools and use it before games.
I've had one for years. I'd let others use it at tournaments and now about a dozen guys have them in their bags. It's the single best piece of equipment I have purchased and it moves from my basketball bag to my umping bag and even in my volleyball bag. (It's great between matches when you are standing on the tower.)

I have not had any achilles, calf, or shin pain at all since using it.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Our state requires that it be black to be worn in a game.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

had to take the season off

My knees were bad enough that I worked a few games in December, then on december 21 had bilateral knee replacements...so since they cut out all the arthritis, my knees will feel good as new again (not recommended for most people...I can't make enough game checks in high school to pay for it LOL) hope to be back in another month....also along the way lost 25 lbs which should help as well...
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Our state requires that it be black to be worn in a game.
dang. mine too. looks like i'm gonna need another sharpie.