The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Unhappy

The Sunday youth league in my "2nd-6th Games" thread worked me out! these lil-leaguers came to play and play hard! Worked FOUR games with FIVE 8min quarters each! BACK-TO-BACK!

Ugh! Calves are so sore...any remedies out there before I have jump back in my 'assigned' game on Thursday and Friday? Doing the R.I.C.E. now (Rest/Ice/Compression/Elevation), but if there's any other quick fixes that may be a trick of the trade, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

one of our officials, who is a track and cc coack gave us this advice regarding icing. He said your icing should involve massaging the affected area with the ice. He said the best way to do this was to freeze some water in a STYROFOAM cup (wax cup would not work) and massage the area with this.

Haven't tried it, but he says it is much more effective than just placing and ice bag-or whatever- on the area.

Good luck.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

I fully admit this sounds like a prank but it really works for me.

Before you go to bed get into a bathtub of cold water(as cold as you can get out of the tap. You folks from Mich, Wis. etc..might want to warm it up a bit.) Sit in the tub for about 15 min. Then go to sleep. When you wake up your legs will be a little tight but not throbing like they were.

Again I promise this is not a prank.

[Edited by garote on Dec 9th, 2003 at 02:40 PM]
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Make sure you actually get a little moderate exercise on those sore legs, especially since you have until Thursday. Warm those muscles a bit and stretch/masage them every day afterward - it really is just a bit of lactic acid that will work itself out - should be much better by Thursdeay.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Along with the usual advice about stretching and moderate excercise, which I rely on whenever possible, I sometimes employ Ibuprofen. But only if I have to work and I haven't gotten over the pain yet.

I did this on Saturday, my fourth day working in a row, and after my third leg workout of the week at the gym. I suffered through my first game and was in pain. After the Ibuprofen, I was able to run pain free.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 04:37pm
Jerry Blum

If you need to use ibuprofen before a game I suggest taking it about an hour before the game. Unfortunately I have a bad ankle and knee that give me trouble, but I take ibuprofen an hour or so before the game so that it has time to work itself into your system. Then by the time you are ready to start running during your game you have a very limited amount of soreness to work out once you start. It usually takes only one or two trips down the floor for me to be loose.

Hope this helps.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
For any foot, ankle or leg problems, I recommend that you see a podiatrist.

Ibuprofen before your game has the added advantage of keeping swelling from happening in the first place -- swelling being what causes your discomfort, usually. But you should see a podiatrist first, and get some kind of routine. Then if it's not getting better, you've got some history with someone who can give good advice.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Luv4Asian8's case sound much more like over exertion than an injury. Like several have said, stretching, moderate exercise, and rest should have it better is a day or two. Alternating heat and ice might make it feel better. I've used that technique on sprains...it speeds the heeling...ice reduces swelling and heat (only after the first couple of days) encourages good blood flow to promote healing.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a doctor
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
Worked FOUR games with FIVE 8min quarters each!
Wouldn't that be FIVE 8 min FIFTHS?

Calves are so sore...any remedies out there[/QUOTE]

Regular exercise will help prevent it. Are you back-pedaling? When I first started to ref, I used to back pedal a lot. That will kill your calves quick.

Mregor

[Edited by Mregor on Dec 10th, 2003 at 07:58 AM]
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

after I've done a ton of games, I drink a 12-ounce glass of Endurox R4, a performance recovery drink. I've found it really speeds the muscle recovery in my legs. Post game stretching is a must also.