The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 13, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Sore Back

I did my second plate game of the year today, and although it was only 7 innings, I found myself having a stiff lower back by the fifth inning. I mentioned this to my partner, who suggested I stay standing a bit longer before dropping down into my stance. I tried doing this a few times and it really helped my back, but I eventually decided I had better stay with what I has been doing for the majority of the game which was bending the knees a little bit, then as the pitcher starts to pitch leaning forward at the waist thus being in my stance. Do any of you ever get a sore back? Is it okay or normal to have this happen?
Old Sun May 13, 2007, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

For me anyways, some soreness here and there is fairly common the first few games of the year; mostly in my quads. Think back and see if you're doing anything different (besides getting older )
Old Sun May 13, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

The quads and glutes is a good place to be sore though; that means you're using your muscles to get into your stance. Having stiff back muscles on the other hand probably means I'm doing something wrong.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 01:07am
rei

I try not to lean forward at all. The more you can keep your head and shoulders over your torso, the longer you will last.

You might consider orthopedic inserts too! I have a very shallow arch, and had really bad back pain after games even with a good stance. I started using some inserts with stiff arch support and those pains mostly went away!
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Two Advil before I go behind the plate and no problem's. It even helps with the headache that a coach might want to give me during the game!
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

I have a REALLY bad back, so I HAVE to have good posture to umpire even 1 game. Use the legs, not the back, to get into position. Lower just as the pitcher starts the pitch, no earlier. Back should be straight up and down, not bent forward.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Back should be straight up and down, not bent forward.
I had a sore back a year ago when I kept my back straight and didn't bend forward. I was also told by an umpire who was watching the latter part of the game that I looked way too stiff. Yesterday I did bend my back, but still felt a little bit sore. In summary I am still looking for that perfect stance where I can stay free from getting hit by pitches, keep my back in shape, and see the ball from the same angle every time.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
where I can stay free from getting hit by pitches,
Get better catchers.......
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 04:04pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
Get better catchers.......
no doubt. sometimes you have to lean...or set up higher...which makes it tough on the low pitch...but it's just plain tough sometimes...especially when catchers are often build like brick walls
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

if you have lower back "tightness", then stretch your hamstrings before and after your games. trust me, it'll help