The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 12:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Biggest HS check?

We're a patchwork quilt of conferences and schools when it comes to mileage reimbursements. I could work one night at a school 70 miles from the house with no mileage and work the next night at a school that's closer, but in a conference that pays.

Tonight I worked in a conference with no mileage cap. I knew the check would be fairly big, comparatively speaking, but it was a few cents short of $130. Game fee was $65. So the mileage was just short of the game fee amount.

Last year, I had an AD complain about this to me. Commissioner assigns a crew that's 100 miles away and then the school has to pay. I deflected the complaining, mainly because that's what it takes to get officials to be willing to drive so far. And it's not really my concern. He should complain to the right person.

Next two nights, no mileage at all.

Anyone else get a good mileage reimbursement in your games?
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

We don't get mileage here. We get $80 flat fee for a HS varsity game so after you take out mileage expense, etc. it isn't a lot but this is a hobby for me - and the only hobby I have ever had that actually made me a few $.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

We get zip. All ours are doubleheaders. GV/BV is 100 for 3 whistle, 115 for 2.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 01:30am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

A LA near me has a combined population of about 600,000, stretching as far as 75 minute away. Anything in the 2 central cities has no mileage, but everything outside of that area does, in a per km model.

If one lives in a city where mileage is paid, you luck out.

A prolific referee once had a double-header in the city that is 75 minutes away. Because of their remote location, they actually played HS games in the morning in order to secure quality referees. Away he went for a double in the a.m. Game fees totaled $72, and mileage was around that too.

Coming back into town, he stopped in another city along the way and did a 2 more HS games in the afternoon, with full travel money, even though he was just on his way back home from the a.m. games. $72 and about $30. He then did a club game late afternoon (in the same city) but since this was a different user group, was also paid full travel money again. $35 and $30.

He then showed up at the bi-weekly meeting (about 10 minutes late) and was permitted to leave because he had the 2 men's league games that night at a HS near his home. No travel, since it was in the central city. $70 for those games.

In total, he made about $380 for one day's work, thanks to the mileage "double dipping".
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 01:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
We don't get mileage here. We get $80 flat fee for a HS varsity game so after you take out mileage expense, etc. it isn't a lot but this is a hobby for me - and the only hobby I have ever had that actually made me a few $.
I thought TN played GV/BV DH. You get $80 for 1 game or 2?
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 07:28am
This IS My Social Life

A Minnesota Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Last year, I had an AD complain about this to me. Commissioner assigns a crew that's 100 miles away and then the school has to pay.
Do what JugglingReferee does and report the round trip distance you drive in km's. See what he says then.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Earlier this season, I worked a single Varsity game ($55) at a rural school that is about 75 miles from home. Game check: $141. Best part - I received the check 3 days after the day of the game. I am still waiting on a check from a holiday tourney where I worked 3 games: $262. I'm getting quite a tour of North Texas this season...but it's paying for itself.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last year, I had an AD complain about this to me. Commissioner assigns a crew that's 100 miles away and then the school has to pay. I deflected the complaining, mainly because that's what it takes to get officials to be willing to drive so far. And it's not really my concern. He should complain to the right person.
If they don't pay mileage, then they always get "local" officials, and the visitors complain, including this AD (or coach) when his school is the visitors.

Solution? Have the visitors pay the mileage and specify in advance the maximum "crew radius" they will accept.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 08:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Best check I've ever had was $128; $84 for two games and the rest for mileage.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 09:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If they don't pay mileage, then they always get "local" officials, and the visitors complain, including this AD (or coach) when his school is the visitors.

Solution? Have the visitors pay the mileage and specify in advance the maximum "crew radius" they will accept.
Most conferences have a mileage limit. With the exception of the "unlimited" conference, the maximum mileage we get around here is $35.

The problem in these rural areas is that they simply don't have a lot of varsity-level officials in these areas. Some of the JV guys we see (who are, of course, local) are frighteningly bad. Last night I watched about 3 minutes of the JV game -- one guy actually seemed to have pretty good mechanics and I was ready to be pleasantly surprised. Then he called two phantom fouls where I could see at least a foot of daylight between the two players and I suddenly had the urge to go get dressed and stretch.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Our HS association uses a flat mileage fee when the working agreement goes out to the schools/conferences we service. "Local" schools pay $9 and the further ones pay $27. The money goes to the "R" and if the others in the crew drive the "R" is supposed to divy up the $$. It is sort of sweet if you actually live NEAR one of the outlying schools, b/c then you get a nice check for a school close by!! I think the furhtest commute for the "central point" we use is about 90 minutes, so not too bad.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I have one contract this year that includes any mileage and the school is 85 miles one way from my home. The total amount of the contract is $145...$35 of it is for mileage. The best contract I've had is a 20 mile round trip...worked one JV game and received $80.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Last year I had $201.06 deposited into my refpay account ($55 game fee + mileage, a room & a meal) for 1 game.

I drove the 80 miles home in under 1.5 hours
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Here, all schools have gone to a flat fee system - each official gets $100 for a GV/BV doubleheader. Most of my schools then also pay a flat $10 to each official for mileage. So, my regular checks are $110 whether I got 40 miles or 90. (90 is about as far as I go.)

Some of the smaller, more local schools don't pay the $10 mileage.

These are 2-man games, as well.

Im doing some 3-man tonight and tomorrow that I'll get mileage for. Not sure what the game fee is either, but I'm anticipating bigger than usual checks.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought TN played GV/BV DH. You get $80 for 1 game or 2?

You are correct, $80 is for a GV/BV double, 3 person crew. $50 for single Varsity 3 P.C.

Fee set by TSSAA board of control. Board is school administrators no representation for the referees.