The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

I apologize this is totally off topic, but here it goes...

On ESPN2 they had their countdown of the "biggest blunders." They had some good ones such as Sean Landeta "miffing" on punt, and Met's manager Bobby Valentine coming back into the dugout in a disguise after he had been "tossed."

Also on the list, however, was then-Giants pitcher Terry Mullholland getting a ground ball stuck in the webbing of glove. He couldn't get the ball out, so he threw the whole glove the first base for an out. Maybe I'm missing something, but why is this a blunder and not quick thinking? Not that all lists aren't silly (which they can be in my opinion), but what airheads put this one together?
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

OK, I need to rant somemore...

In their defense, #3 was Leon Lett touching downfield a blocked FG of Miami's. The Dolphins recovered, thus giving Miami another chance, and the made the kick to win the game.

At #2 was poor Leon again, this time having the ball knocked away from him just short of the GL in the Super Bowl against Buffalo because he was too busy celebrating a potential TD. Now, IMHO, I would put the play against Miami higher because it had an impact on the game (the play against Buffalo was near the end of the game), but I can't argue too much with because both were definite blunders.

At #1, however, the had the play in the 1982 Cal-Stanford game (the kickoff return at the end of the game). Now maybe you could say Stanford blundered in leaving the time on clock. Or perhaps the officials blundered by missing a runner who was down before he passes the ball, or they missed a foward pass in all of that. Even so, that play is definitely not ahead of Leon Lett. Oh well, like it really matters.

[Edited by PSU213 on Jan 2nd, 2005 at 09:34 AM]
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Wasn't it a pretty big blunder on the part of the band?
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

The trombone player in the end zone should have squared his feet and delivered the blow. He got steamrolled. No excuses for that - you're a trombone player, son! Not a flute player! Stand tall!
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Just wondering about the Stanford band call: What would the crew have called if the band had tackled Cal's ball carrier?
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Being a member of the Stanford class of '83 (Elway's class), I was at that Big Game and I place the fault of the last play squarely on the shoulders of Mr. John Elway. It was he who called a time-out with *eight* seconds left, leaving time for the now-infamous kickoff. If he had waited until three or two seconds, Stanford would have won, gone to the AstroBlueBonnet Bowl and history would have been a lot different. There, I've said it and I feel better for it.
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
The trombone player in the end zone should have squared his feet and delivered the blow. He got steamrolled. No excuses for that - you're a trombone player, son! Not a flute player! Stand tall!
Actually the trombone by design is a fairly weak instrument, whereas the flute can be used as a number of different weapons.... Avoid flutists whenever possible.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

ESPN Blunders

Don't get taken in by ESPN. They control what we think about anything in sports.

That list is just like an English Lit Professor; it's all about what they think. Everyone has an opinion, but they usually stink.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Actually the trombone by design is a fairly weak instrument, whereas the flute can be used as a number of different weapons.... Avoid flutists whenever possible.
flute hmmm "this one time at band camp"