The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

My biggest fear!!!

Has anyone ever forgotten to bring an important item to thier game. (meds included) I have yet to forget anything, but I am only in my 3rd year. I go over everything in my bag from head to toe. I hope it never happens.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 10:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Draft yourself a packing list (seriously) and check it each time before you depart. Also, I've heard some refs keep an entire uniform in their trunk just in case......
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Not yet, but I did leave my whistle in my bag once. Didn't notice it until I was getting ready to toss the ball. Luckily dressing room was only a few steps away!
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Never forgot anything going to a site, but did forget to put my whistle on my shirt. Just before I tossed the ball realized I hadn't put it on yet. Always keep spares in my jacket though.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 11:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I once forgot my plutonium.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

In my first year of officiating I forgot my stripes for Pop Warner football one Saturday morning. Fortunately I only lived about 1/2 mile from the field and had time to rush home and back. I've been pretty anal about having everything ready ever since then.

I carry extra whistles & lanyards to my games. Sure enough, about once every couple years, I've had a partner who has forgotten one, the other or both and I help them out, and by extension myself, by giving them one. Sadly, I've never had a partner I helped out pay for or replace the "borrowed" equipment.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 12:15am
In Memoriam

I have forgotten shoes, [9 miles away and got 'em] and shirts [5 miles away and got 'em.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

No, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton View Post
Has anyone ever forgotten to bring an important item to thier game. (meds included) I have yet to forget anything, but I am only in my 3rd year. I go over everything in my bag from head to toe. I hope it never happens.
I fear forgetting something so much that I often stop the car on the side of the highway and check my bag one last time on my way to a game. Most of our games are at least a half hour away so running back home is not an option.

Also, I was watching the first game of our largest tournament in our area last weekend and a newbie varsity official forgot his whistle until he raised his hand for the toss. He stopped things to get his spare in his jacket but it was not there, so down to the locker room. A few minutes later he got a standing O when returning to the court. Tough start greenhorn.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Draft yourself a packing list (seriously) and check it each time before you depart. Also, I've heard some refs keep an entire uniform in their trunk just in case......

what if you drive a truck?!
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton View Post
Twice in the past 12 years. Once, I forgot slacks for a basketball game and another time, shoes for a football game. I've also forgotten small items in football but partners usually have extras.

However, I have had dreams about forgetting something important, going to the wrong school, or forgetting about an assignment until the last minute. I'd much rather be dreaming about Jessica Simpson.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Black socks once. Ran in whites. First and last time that happened - now I have 4 pairs in my standard bag.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

I forget my halo about once a week. A royal pain, since there are none to borrow.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 07:32am
Official & Member

Ouch. Try this sometime...

Once forgot my shoes about five years ago. As it happened, I was coming directly from work, and my work shoes were black. School was a small private school in a fairly remote area (Girl's-V, three man)....so I did the entire game in dress wing tips. Not very comfortable.

No one noticed except my partners. They still rag on me about it to this day. Now there's a spare pair in the trunk.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I have forgotten shoes, [9 miles away and got 'em] and shirts [5 miles away and got 'em.
Dang, how big is your house?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Once forgot my shoes about five years ago. As it happened, I was coming directly from work, and my work shoes were black. School was a small private school in a fairly remote area (Girl's-V, three man)....so I did the entire game in dress wing tips. Not very comfortable.

No one noticed except my partners. They still rag on me about it to this day. Now there's a spare pair in the trunk.
I worked a football game in my black (non-officiating) running shoes 2 years ago. Now I'm anal about checking and re-checking...