The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

UCLA vs. KU game

Anybody see the end of the UCLA/KU game last night? "Gutsy" call by the official with .7 seconds on the clock to send KU to the line in a tied ballgame.

Last edited by Seddy; Fri Dec 03, 2010 at 10:48am.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddy View Post
Anybody see the end of the UCLA/KU game last night? Gutsy call by the official with .7 seconds on the clock to send KU to the line in a tied ballgame.
Didn't see it.

We make "gutsy" calls all the time.

The time left in the game shouldn't have any bearing on whether to call it. If it was a foul with 70 seconds left, then it was a foul with .7 seconds left.

Lah me.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

A foul is a foul is a foul, I don't care what time is on the coo coo clock.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Tell that to Ben Howland....

Via the LA Times:

UCLA Coach Ben Howland didn't contain his displeasure with the call after watching the replay on a computer in the locker room.

"Really, really a poor way to end the game on a call," Howland said. "Normally, you wouldn't make that kind of call at that point in the game unless it was very obvious, and from what I saw it was very disappointing to have the game end on that note."
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tell that to Ben Howland....

Via the LA Times:

UCLA Coach Ben Howland didn't contain his displeasure with the call after watching the replay on a computer in the locker room.

"Really, really a poor way to end the game on a call," Howland said. "Normally, you wouldn't make that kind of call at that point in the game unless it was very obvious, and from what I saw it was very disappointing to have the game end on that note."
Is Ben Howland the director of officiating for the conference and a coach?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Nope, just a coach understandably frustrated with a ticky-tack call deciding a game in which his kids fought hard throughout and battled back to tie.

The problem with refs wanting to hide behind the "a foul is a foul is a foul" argument and make the art of officiating black and white is the fact that this call literally decided the game. I guarantee you that similar "fouls" earlier in the game were let go. I'd venture a guess that there's a part of the official (Doug Sirmons) who wishes he hadn't blown his whistle.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, just a coach understandably frustrated with a ticky-tack call deciding a game in which his kids fought hard throughout and battled back to tie.

The problem with refs wanting to hide behind the "a foul is a foul is a foul" argument and make the art of officiating black and white is the fact that this call literally decided the game. I guarantee you that similar "fouls" earlier in the game were let go. I'd venture a guess that there's a part of the official (Doug Sirmons) who wishes he hadn't blown his whistle.
Who else was in that officiating crew?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Scott Thornley & Tom O'Neill
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The problem with the media and general public is on one instance, they want to "let the players on the floor decide the game." Then when there's an instance where a no call happens at the end of the game, we hear the usually dreck about us "swallowing our whistles" and that "a foul is a foul." A no-win situation.

Do I think the official who made the call regrets the whistle? I doubt it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Fri Dec 03, 2010 at 11:09am. Reason: grammar
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
How about describing the play for those of us who didn't see it instead of just giving it the lame "ticky-tack" label.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Judge for yourselves....

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

Last edited by Seddy; Fri Dec 03, 2010 at 11:15am.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I can't, firewall only allows videos from YouTube and it's not on there. So pretend it's a non-media game and you are describing the play to your supervisor.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
from the video provided, it does appear the UCLA player displaced the KU player who was reaching for the ball
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You say "ticky tack," I say "tackle." If it had been a UCLA player in the same situation, the coach would have thought it was a great call. :shrug:

Fanboys are so boring.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

UCLA hits a 3 to tie the game with 4 seconds to go. KU inbounds quickly, gets it across half-court, one of the Morris twins attempts to go up for a jumper but is cleanly stripped, which leads to a loose ball. KU's Mario Little and UCLA's Malcolm Lee both pursue. Both players have a hand on the ball with Lee's momentum creating contact with Morris.